Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 9:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Question regarding cost..... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Question regarding cost.....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question regarding cost.....  (Read 926 times)
Bethany1
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Always do whatever's next.

Question regarding cost.....
« on: Oct 29th, 2004, 10:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys,  

I know there was a thread on here about how much people spend in a year for imitrex. I was curious about monthly, what you guys get prescribed from your doctors, and have you found anyway around it?

I was getting 4 boxes (8 shots) for 30 days for $20. My insurance just changed and said that they wont cover it anymore and now I get one box a week for $20. It went up $60. What do you guys pay with your insurance?  

Thanks--

Bethany Smiley
IP Logged

I am sofa king we todd did.

crack is wack
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Re: Question regarding cost.....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 11:05am »

Thirty Zomig woulda been 504 bucks at Walmart.That was five days supply for me.Oxygen was 200 bucks for a lifetime lease for the tank,alread had regulator,the mask was 4 bucks,25 bucks for a refill of 154cu.ft.(big tank) oxygen for me.
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
aggiegran
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

AnnRow1117

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 11:19am »

You are lucky, I too use Imitrex, paid 12.00 for 6 inj for two yrs, they have gone up to 579.00 for 6 inj.....Now who in their right mind can afford that....so then I went to Axert a pill that has helped  but it takes 45 minutes and you can only get  12 a month....so that leaves many days without anything..... when I am in episode I have them daily sometimes 2 to 3 a day.....mine start on the Kip scale at 9 to 10....full blast, and sometimes sucide looks better and better!!!!!...even my doctors are at wits end with the insurance and drug companys...Wish I had an answer for you, I am in the process of fighting with the insurance co, and drug company....Wishing you a pain free day....Ann
IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 11:30am »

Aetna reported 1.29 billion in 3rd quarter profits.
Fuck em. Look for alternatives
IP Logged
Bethany1
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 12:50pm »

Ann-- I have tried Axert, my doc gave me samples but it put me right to bed, maybe because Im so used to the trex. It sounds like you are having a real tough time. Sometimes when I think things can't get any worse for me, I meet someone that is worse off. I am so sorry for all that you are going through. Wishing you a pfdan. If you ever need to talk, Im not far away.  
Take care---

Beth
IP Logged

crack is wack
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 2:01pm »

Holy cow!
  www.clusterbusters.com
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
don

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 4:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I get as many as I need for a $20.00 co-pay.

Doc ussually writes for 10 boxes with a refill.
IP Logged
Bethany1
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 4:19pm »

Hi Don--

Will you be my best friend...

(jk)
 laugh
IP Logged

crack is wack
don

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 4:42pm »

I could be. I work one town over from you.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 5:21pm »

(1) The Imitrex Patient Assistance Program may help out.
(2) Samples, samples, get more samples.

I keep in stock (thanks to my neuro) with samples. I bet your neuro has some too !!

Unsolved

PS.
Wanted to leave you with these links:
http://www.manicdepressionhelp.com/freemedsprogramsGlaxo.htm
http://www.freemedicineprogram.com/
http://bridgestoaccess.gsk.com/
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2004, 5:24pm by unsolved1 » IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 9:34am »

Cost is a major reason I keep suggesting a trial of Zyprexa. On a per dose basis, it's much less. And that it takes 20-min. to abort an attrack vs. 10, or so, with Imitrex.... I can afford 10-min!
-------
1: Headache 2001 Sep;41(Cool:813-6  

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
D
New Board Newbie
USA 

Former Chronic

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 31st, 2004, 10:32pm »

Jesus! I refuse to reinforce this insanity! Encouraging someone to use these drugs must stop. let alone find ways to get more, at any cost.  

I know this is not going to win me friends & influence people here on this thread or board...but someone has to wave the red flag...

Peace & Positive Energy

D
IP Logged

Cluster Busters Rock !
www.clusterbusters.com
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 8:11am »

Zyprexa did NOTHING for my CH attacks

Unsolved
IP Logged
aggiegran
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

AnnRow1117

« Reply #13 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 10:50pm »

What makes all this so bad is, I could go to the ER and it wouldn't cost me half of that, but I'll be darned if I can get  in a car and get there....I told the lady at the insurance co, to enjoy her life cause her decision just made mine Hell.... which I'm sure she could care less...I talked to the Doctor today and he said the samples were drying up for some reason....But he would keep trying.....
IP Logged
aggiegran
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

AnnRow1117

« Reply #14 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 10:55pm »

Beth Thank you so much for your kind words they made me smile, and sometimes thats hard to do during episodes.....I just may give you a yell, its a wonder you don't hear me about 3:00 every single nite, and then at 3:00 in the afternoon, sometimes in between, the longest they have lasted is 5 hrs.... Undecided But Thank you again, Wishing you PFD's ....Ann
IP Logged
Bethany1
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Nov 2nd, 2004, 8:31am »

The problem with the er is that sometimes you have to wait. Last year I went to the er on a friday morning (a week before christmas) they actually took me right away. Shot me up with Delodid (sp) and I slept for 5 hours in  the er. Then when I woke up I was pretty screwed up, I ended up driving home from the er. As soon as I got in the house I went to walk downstairs and fell all the way down the stairs because I was still loopy. Hence, breaking my foot. Back to the er I went. What a mess I was. Its kind of funny when I look back on it. If the insurance company would have just filled the script..... it cost them more because I was back and forth to the er that day. sons a bitches.
IP Logged

crack is wack
aggiegran
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

AnnRow1117

« Reply #16 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 2:52pm »

Thats what I told my insurance co, she said well if you must, I told her maybe thats the only way you will see, that CH don't have a time table or a limit....just wish I had the courage to actually get in a car and go....but it hurts to bad lol
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 3:03pm »

on Oct 29th, 2004, 5:52pm, jminmilwaukee wrote:
I pay about $5.00 for a refillable cup of mushroom tea at Bomba shack.  Cool

I do however feel for those who are tethered to the drug companies (seriously).  Sad

jmin

Yeah, but whats a plane ticket from Milwaukee to the Caribbean cost??  And having to endure the beaches, nice weather, etc - those are costs not included in the price of a cup of tea.  Wink

Ask your travel agent about BVI.  Side effects may include jet lag, sunburn, and a feeling of lightness in the wallet.
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 3:50pm »

on Nov 9th, 2004, 3:20pm, jminmilwaukee wrote:
I was wondering if someone was gonna call me on the cost of actually getting to that cup of tea  Cheesy

Still, a darned good excuse to go!

jmin

I'd say it's money well spent.

Although my method isn't nearly as expensive the results are the same  Wink

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 26th, 2004, 6:00am »

i can get two a day, but have to pay the co-pay each time $44. did that for two weeks until i read about taking partial shots.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 26th, 2004, 9:17am »

Quote:
Jesus! I refuse to reinforce this insanity! Encouraging someone to use these drugs must stop.

Hows the weather on your planet?
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #21 on: Nov 26th, 2004, 10:11am »

on Oct 31st, 2004, 10:32pm, D wrote:
Encouraging someone to use these drugs must stop.

I hate all the encouragement to need drugs that CH give me too.  Must stop?  That's why we have OUCH.

Kevin M
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #22 on: Nov 26th, 2004, 10:15am »

The key word there "D" is need.

To encourage people not to seek them out would be cruel wouldn't it?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss