Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:13pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « exercising »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   exercising
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: exercising  (Read 671 times)
becky8

Email

exercising
« on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 2:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I used to work out alot, don't want to lose what muscle tone I have left. But, as my CH got chronic I found I had a hard time doing it while being hit even just at kip4 or 5? I know some people say it helps their hits? I want to get back to it cause I did sleep better (even with the CH) but any advice? Does anyone work out, anyone over 30 or 40?
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: exercising
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 2:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm proud to say that I don not work out at all. Totally sedentary...  Smiley
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
don

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 3:01pm »

Not in a million years!

Step machines, walking machines, weight machines, etc. etc.....all designed and manufactured by evil minded sadistic bastards. Machines for human torture.

I do occasionally push back on my lazy boy. That count?
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 3:18pm »

How 'bout when I have to stretch sideways to reach the remote?
IP Logged

marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 4:22pm »

I'm afraid to, just like I'm afraid to fix myself a cocktail.  I'm PF right now and I don't want to do anything at all that might upset the delicate balance.

But when I get to the point where I'm convinced that the cycle is over and the beast is locked away I'll break down and take that drink.  If it goes OK I'll get right back on my bike.  There's ample medical and empirical evidence that suggests you'll feel a lot better and your quality of life will improve if you exercise regularly.  Whether you think you'll look any better or whether you care hardly matters.
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 6:06pm »

LOL, I was afraid this was what I was gonna hear!!!! I know you all exercise your arm by picking up your cocktail, right? Come on I am TRYING to be healthy finally in my old age. I was doing pretty good til bad CH"S started. LMAO!!!! laugh laugh
IP Logged
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 7:45pm »

Does over 60 count - I try my best to get to my gym 3 days a week - generally before work in the a.m.  I don't go during the summer months as I spend enough time walking a golf course in the hopes of making up for it.

Hmm - just re-read your post and realized you're chronic and I'm not so I'll back away quietly and slowly now!  Grin

Carol
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 9:30am »

Carol, Good for you that you work out!!! You are to be congratulated!!! It's hard the older you get but the benefits are sooo worth it. The only thing bugs me about your post is YOU ARE "60"S" and STILL have CH??? I was praying not to have by then!!!!
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 9:36am »

Two different types of exercise.

Routine exercise during a cluster cycle can trigger an attack.

Very streneous exercise at the beginning of an attack can abort the attack.  This has been successful for me in the past.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
IHateSequelsNotH
New Board Junior
India 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 10:45am »

Hey Bob Ive had that work as well.
 Did you notice a feeling like you were almost high afterwards and not just b/c the pain is gone? When I've had this work it gives me a real rush of energy and at the same time an almost opiated feeling. I've never tried cocaine only read about it and it sounds very much the feeling of that. But with that totally relaxed opiated feeling. I actually miss the feeling after the cycle is over. Is it the rise of serotonin during an attack? I The feeling is one of almost say the opposite of depression.

peace love
 Andrew
IP Logged

"A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on." - William S. Burroughs
don

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 2:04pm »

Quote:
How 'bout when I have to stretch sideways to reach the remote?

Attach one piece of velcro to the remote and one piece on the end of a yard stick. If the remote is farther than one yard away, take a nap.
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 2:37pm »

And if you wear your "DEPENDS" you don't even have to get up to go to the bathroom!!! laugh laugh
IP Logged
sevlow
New Board Newbie
USA 

chrissungi   sevlow1
Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 3:26pm »

Becky,

I'm 35 coming up fast on 36, and I work out regularly.  I actually finally got motivated enough to get back into a serious running program the first of September after a couple of years of half-hearted running, and have lost 15 lbs and feel much better for it.

I didn't have my first CH until September 26th, but don't think it was due to exercise.  I work out first thing in the morning, and my headaches don't hit me until later in the day.

All in all, even if you are having attacks, the benefits of exercising definitely outweigh the problems caused by not exercising (and no, reaching for the remote and picked up the mixed drinks don't really count as exercise!!).  I've tried running as an abortive, but apparently went out to late in the attack, because the pain got so bad that I had to stop.

Later,

Chris
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 4:45pm »

CHs are not still not all that well understood but it appears that there is a general concensus that dilated blood vessels are associated with the pain.  

The way I understand it, trex works partly because the body reacts to it in such a way that it constricts blood vessels.  The same goes for O2 as an abortive.  So if you exercise vigorously and deplete your blood's O2 levels your body should respond by dilating blood vessels thusly aggrevating the CH and its pain.

I sure wouldn't exercise to abort a CH.
IP Logged
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

« Reply #14 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 5:19pm »

on Nov 24th, 2004, 9:30am, becky8 wrote:
Carol, Good for you that you work out!!! You are to be congratulated!!! It's hard the older you get but the benefits are sooo worth it. The only thing bugs me about your post is YOU ARE "60"S" and STILL have CH??? I was praying not to have by then!!!!

Beck - I sure hate to pee on your parade, but there's nothing written anywhere that these damned things will ever end.  I thank God that I'm episodic though - not sure how well I'd deal with chronic for this many years.    Guess ya just kinda put one foot in front of the other and figure that it is what it is and we can't change much about it.

Carol
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 5:39pm »

Quote:
The way I understand it, trex works partly because the body reacts to it in such a way that it constricts blood vessels.  The same goes for O2 as an abortive.  So if you exercise vigorously and deplete your blood's O2 levels your body should respond by dilating blood vessels thusly aggrevating the CH and its pain.
However, because you exercise streneously you really get to huffing and puffing.  Free O2?  There have been an awful lot of people on this board for whom it's worked.

At the first sign of an attack, I would do squats, as fast as I could, until my thighs burned and I was really huffing.  Then I would sit down in a chair with an ice pack on my neck and deep breath.  The attack was gone is 7-10 minutes with no medication.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #16 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 11:18pm »

Quote:
Attach one piece of velcro to the remote and one piece on the end of a yard stick.

I tried that, don, and had a very unfortunate incident with the hind end of an un-neutered poodle. Have you ever heard a poodle scream? The sound still haunts me... Shocked
IP Logged

yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 11:24pm »

After 7 years of these random attacks,
I have given up.

the pain comes and goes.

so i am gonna do whatever I really want to
Pain or no pain.

Trouble is, even the shadows are sapping my energy.

I mean I can force myself to chase the kids,
carpool and shop when I really gotta,
and I realy do the laundry, only when down
to my last pair of clean socks....

IF I had energy, I feel I would workout.

and Strength training is more about
calm repetitions, it should not really be a major
trigger... of course we should not ever really
have a pain in the head either.... so go figure.

Good luck.
Make a plan of action, and stick to it.
No matter what.
Don't let the monster steal anymore time
from you!  Demand your life back.

TJ
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
radioflyer72
New Board Newbie

"It's like uh..well...you know..nevermind !"

« Reply #18 on: Nov 26th, 2004, 12:56am »

Well, if you DO react positively to O2, then cardio could help.  As a road cyclist....though not lately due to the temperature outside......I've grabbed the jacket and running shoes and hit the street late at night for some fast walking around the block.  This def. bumps the CH's down a notch or two on the kip scale.   The other effect it has on me is obvious...I'm tired when I get back.  But not that oh-to-familiar post CH fatigue as much.  It seems to help me rest better.    

This place is so chock full of "hey try this" I figured I may as well put in ye ole $.02  Smiley

And as someone who is smack dab in the middle of a cycle right now, I can't tell you how valuable I find this site.   It really does make it less unbearable.
IP Logged
Fatcat
New Board Newbie
England 

« Reply #19 on: Nov 26th, 2004, 3:50am »

Hi Becky,

I'm a very keen gym member - weight training, cardio etc.  I'm a road cyclist and mountain biker.  I love snowsports as well.  I'm also pretty sure that I've turned chronic.  I'm taking verapamil.

My condition has got in the way of all this in recent years, I'm sorry to say.  But when the beast allows, I make the most of it.  I still weight train 4 mornings a week.  Recently I've noticed that it might be bringing on very minor attacks that often vanish soon afterwards.  Cycling never has done but then I haven't been for 3 months due to injury.  I'm sticking with the gym for now.  But read my post on Creatine.  I've been having loads of bother recently and I reckon it might be due to a supplement rather than the exercise.

Fatcat (I'm not fat, by the way, thanks to the gym!)
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss