Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Vascular Necrosis »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Vascular Necrosis
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Vascular Necrosis  (Read 806 times)
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

Vascular Necrosis
« on: Nov 8th, 2004, 7:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The VA has diagnosed me with Vascular Necrosis. One of the things that can cause it is Steroid use. Prednisone fer instance.
A search of the archives did'nt bring up anything usefull. Has anyone else had this problem?
IP Logged

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Vascular Necrosis
« Reply #1 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 7:07pm »

That sounds really scary, what have they said about it? Are they treating it? I hope it gets sorted for you soon
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

dougW
New Board Veteran
Canada 

pain is inevitable.   suffering is optional

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 8:31pm »

kirk:  Try the search for "avascular necrosis".  The blood supply gets interupted in rare cases of chronic steroid use, usually to the femoral head (the hip).

try this link:    
http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/avascular_necrosis/

Sorry to hear this.  

Good luck.

Doug
IP Logged

Out beyond wrong doing and right doing there is a field of luminous consciousness. I'll meet you there. (Rumi)
shinydellgirl
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 9:38pm »

My husband had this about 7 years ago.  He had total hip replacement.  Before the hip replacemtn he had a laminectomy and steroids were used during his recovery.  He was diagnosed a year ago with CH.  He is 47.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 8:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I can think of two other people here with avascular necrosis from steroid use - probably more that are either unaware of it, or just haven't mentioned it.  

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2924.htm

IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 9:28am »

Lizzie2?!  YooHOO!?
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 3:58pm »

I'm here...sorry...haven't been keeping up with the boards lately cuz not feelin so great!

Anyhow...yes I have been diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis of both knees (right knee is worse and also has a torn meniscus).  My hip MRIs showed some abnormalities, but I have to get them rechecked in 3 months because they are not sure if it is transient osteoporosis or early stage AVN.  If you google Avascular Necrosis (or Osteonecrosis) there is a great article on emedicine.com

I am told that mine is caused by steroids.  Not everyone who uses steroids will get AVN, but it does predispose some people.  It is another very very rare disease...lucky us!!!

One site to check out is www.nonf.org which is the National Osteonecrosis Foundation.  They have some links there.  Also, hit me up on MSN, and I can get you a lot more information.  I'm just now learning a great deal about it myself here and there when I am able to.

Sorry to hear it got another person....this disease sucks big time. Sad

Hugz,
Lizzie  

PS Floridian..who is the other person here that you know has it?  Just curious.
IP Logged

DerbyDemon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pardon me. Is that a dagger in my head?

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 9:05am »

Does this start with blood clots in the legs? I happen to have picked up to of those in the last five weeks.
IP Logged
DerbyDemon
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 9:05am »

Two even.
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 10:00am »

Generally blood clots in the legs are not a signal of avascular necrosis, but it is definately something that needs to be checked out.  Most people with DVTs (Deep Vein Thrombosis...or blood clots) require hospitalization so that the clots don't move to the heart or lungs.  They can be extremely dangerous if not treated.  Usually they won't bust the clots, but they will put you on heparin or lovenox for 3 days while it takes time for a loading dose of coumadin (warfarin) or maybe plavix if that is your doctor's preference.

I had 2 DVTs in my left arm due to a traumatic PICC line insertion in January and I had to stay on coumadin for about 4 months after that.  My boyfriend had 4 Pulmonary Emboli, and he is now on coumadin for the rest of his life.  They are both extremely frightening experiences!!!

DVTs when related to Avascular Necrosis can come as a result of the surgical interventions they would choose to do...least of which being perhaps a core decompression (drilling a hole through dead bone) or the most drastic being a  total joint replacement depending on the joint affected.  I will be looking at bilateral total knee replacements at some point, so I will definately be concerned about DVTs since I already had 2 before.

Get it checked out if you haven't already!!!

Lizzie
IP Logged

DerbyDemon
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 11:35am »

Thank you for the info and sorry you've had to endure. I'm lucky that neither clot is in the deep vein. Just have to put up with an ultrasound every 3 to 4 days and aspirin everyday on top of all the other meds down for CH. Relieved to know this isn't headed for AN.
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 11th, 2004, 9:53am »

Sorry it took so long to respond...(I was with LizzieAlso...j/k)
Actually it took a while to limp over to the thread.

My left hip is getting pretty bad, due to AVN. It was caused by all the prednisone I used over the years.
I'm not ready for an operation, but it hurts and is slowly getting worse. It used to just bother me to stand or walk for long periods of time. Now it hurts just sitting here.  Sad

Don't know if any of you remember Bo Jackson, but his career was cut short (although he came back to play baseball after his hip replacement. His AVN was caused by a football injury, getting the joint dislocated in a tackle.

BobW
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
manana
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 11th, 2004, 4:19pm »

I too suffered "aseptic necrosis" (death without disease) or avascular necrosis to the femor head of one of my hips which I attribute to steroid use. I was being treated with prednisone tabs at the same time as being treated with corticosteriod  injections into my spine for a ruptured disk. The doctors later said it "could" have been caused by steroid use. I believe they were affraid of a lawsuit & I believe I "took a hit" from the treatment without being informed of the possible consequences of steroid treatment. Anyway, the statute of limitations has long since passed on that case. Yes, Bo Jackson had the same problem & I believe you will find his problem can be traced to his elective use of corticosteriods. Do you think he was born with those massive muscles? I often read of so many people on this board using prednisone on a regular basis to treat CH it makes me shutter.  Personally, I have listed myself with my pharmacies as "allergic to all steriods", period. I had my first replacement of the affected hip 13 years ago & had to have it done the second time 1 year ago. The average life expectancy for a normal titanium with plactic "cartiledge" replacement hip is 10 to 20 years however, there is a new one called "ceramic on ceramic" which "may" last up to 50 years. PM me if you want to know about my experiences. My hip & leg still hurts severely 24/7 but, the pain even immediately after surgery isn't nearly as bad as a CH KIP 9 or 10.  I'm sorry to hear you had this reaction to steroid use. Avascular necrosis of the femur head is listed on the label as a rare side effect for some users but, I wonder how many people read the label or how many doctors inform their patients of the possible consequences of steroid use. I hope others will take note!    Best to You, T
IP Logged
Miklos
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 4:59pm »

09-27-97. That's date of my hip replacement due to AVN. I am rarely have pain unless I do something stupid and forget that I have a prosthetic. Like, using a gas powered auger to dig post holes. That little episode "torqued" me off for three days of misery.  

I refuse to use prednisone any more  even if it might ameliorate some other problem.  

P.S. I am paranoid about ladders now, too.
IP Logged

Don't be offended by my frank analysis. Think of it as personality dialysis.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 5:54pm »

Damn there's lots more of us than I thought!!!

AVN sucks.  Mine is just in the knees for now.  I use lidoderm patches and Celebrex until I can have core decompression surgery in May.

Getting a repeat bilateral hip MRI in January to find the damage there.

No more pred for me...I don't care if it will save me from death.  That stuff is truely poison!

L2
IP Logged

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 6:02pm »

So how long were those of you that took pred on it for? I've just had 8 months solid on it and I've been on budesonide (another steroid) for the past two months.
I had horrible side effects from it at the time and now I'm concerned in case I'll discover any long term ones in a few years time!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss