Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « question more for chronics »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   question more for chronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: question more for chronics  (Read 508 times)
becky8

Email

question more for chronics
« on: Oct 26th, 2004, 2:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Verapamil at 360mg is really starting to work for me. Nights are still sometimes rough but it alot better during the day. My question is will it work forever? Nothing is forever, Right? Hey, maybe I can get lucky and not be chronic after while. But seriously how long will it work for you? I do still use Trex, but don't need it near as much as before.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: question more for chronics
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 3:56pm »

No one can answer that question.
Hope it helps you for a Long time.

Unsolved

PS. BTW, now I take Verapamil 180 SR twice daily (Because of high BP)
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2004, 7:14pm by unsolved1 » IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 7:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, I am taking verapamil, too. But the amount I'm taking is 200mg/day. And I have about one attack a day still...  Roll Eyes

sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

becky8

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 12:34pm »

Sandi,
How long have you been taking it though? 200 mg really works for you? How lucky!! I didn't even know it came in 200mg?? Huh
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 12:18am »

I usually don't have to abort HAs unless I'm in a severe cycle. I've only been on verapamil for 6 weeks and I'm in cycle now. I'm going to stay on the verap for my high blood pressure- even if I go back to my usual chronic state of dozens of k 3-5 shadows a day. I also take Neurontin as a prevent (been on it for 4 years) and while I may ask my dr to decrease at some point, I'm going to continue it as well.  Undecided
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
ccbiggsoo7
New Board Veteran

« Reply #5 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 2:45am »

It worked for about 2 years for me then it just suddenly stopped. increased to 480mg a day and worked good for another 6 months. Added lithium worked again for a while added more lith. Some cycles are worse than others . You might have to adjust dosage along the way. A little more - a little less here and there. when you get one up your dosage a little at a time. See if that helps then after a week or 2 drop it back down and see what happens. Your doc. can inform you on dosage limits. It has been a constant fight for 8 years for me, but in the end Me and my neuro usually prevail. Not w/o getting knocked down a few times though. Recently had to add neurontin to the duo. now just back on lithium alone. But could verapamil any day. Good Luck
IP Logged

chris
becky8

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 3:25pm »

Thanks for the info Chris, I was hoping (praying really) it would last til I didn't have anymore! LOL!! Really, that was a big help.
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #7 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 12:18pm »

Hey becky8,

I'm sorry but I agree with you nothing works forever.  I WAS doing pretty well on Verapamil 240 but it has been climbing back up again.  

Good Luck and Good Vibes!!

Your Brother in Pain

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 4:48pm »

Verapamil worked fine for me but for a very short time.Doctor switched me to Inderal LA and it also worked on the short term.Right now I'm in a pretty shitty cycle with shadows all day and usually a big hit during the evening.Current meds are melatonin 9mg,voltaren 75mg,and nadolol 120mg.along with my O2.It does help some but I just don't know for how long.Good luck and keep plugging away.We put a man on the moon and an idiot in the white house...surely we can come up with a cure for CH. AngryDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 5:25pm »

on Oct 27th, 2004, 12:34pm, becky8 wrote:
I didn't even know it came in 200mg?? Huh

Yep Thats what I take as well, 200mgs PM's.  More than that and my BP bottoms out, sweaty chills, can barely stand up for wanting to fall over...

Keeps the 10's away...that's about as much as I can give it credit for...but thats a whole hell of alot better than even one K10.  If it ever stops working someone is gonna have to shoot me. Sad
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 11:59am »

Chris, do you have any side effects from the lithium? if so, what are they? thanks, smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss