Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Behavioral? Demographics? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Behavioral? Demographics?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Behavioral? Demographics?  (Read 432 times)
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Behavioral? Demographics?
« on: Nov 15th, 2004, 10:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Are almost all CH sufferers smokers or ex-smokers.  Is there a clear linkage?  I've smoked on and off for 30 years.  Quit for 7 years once and still got the CHs

I had been led to believe by far more men suffer from CHs than women?  From what I've been seeing on this board it looks to be about 50-50?

Does everyone get right-sided facial pain?

I'm right in the middle of an active period.  Don't want to go to sleep because I am certain I'll get a few wake-up calls behind my right eye socket before morning.
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Re: Behavioral? Demographics?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 10:50pm »

most are smokers, but there's a few of us that aren't.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 11:01pm »

on Nov 15th, 2004, 10:42pm, marlin wrote:

Don't want to go to sleep because I am certain I'll get a few wake-up calls behind my right eye socket before morning.

Look into MELATONIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has helped many of us wipe out the night visitors.

E.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 11:01pm »

smoker
left side
all woman (well, before menopause anyway...)
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 12:00am »

Are almost all CH sufferers smokers or ex-smokers.  Is there a clear linkage?  I've smoked on and off for 30 years.  Quit for 7 years once and still got the CHs

If you attend a meet, you'll think that 99% smoke, drink, and fornicate rampantly. These are mostly the attendee's, not the norm for the rest of the world.

I had been led to believe by far more men suffer from CHs than women?  From what I've been seeing on this board it looks to be about 50-50?

Your facts are false. The ratio is closer to 2.1:1 or so, clinically speaking. The ratio here on the MB is closer to 7:1 wimmen/men. It's a convenient place for feminine whining, especially since the medical community knows Wimmen Don't Get Cluster Headaches.

That's me, too.

Don't want to go to sleep because I am certain I'll get a few wake-up calls behind my right eye socket before morning.

It's a lousy club, but it's the only one we have. You're NOT feeling sleepy, You're NOT feeling sleepy, You're NOT feeling sleepy, You're NOT feeling sleepy.....

Shit,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 3:21am »

Quote:
Are almost all CH sufferers smokers or ex-smokers.

Seems that way.  
Quote:
Is there a clear linkage?

IMHO, no. From reading this message board over the years I’ve noticed that clusterheads seem to have addictive personalities. Not just for the ‘sin’ addictions (drugs, alcohol, smoking) but for many others (chocolate, over eating, reading this board every day, etc)
Quote:
I've smoked on and off for 30 years.  Quit for 7 years once and still got the CHs

Since you quit for 7 years and still got the clusters that should tell us that there is no connection.  

Quote:
I had been led to believe by far more men suffer from CHs than women?  

That is old, and false, information spread by doctors/neurologist that were trained by old, sexist doctors/neurologists that are stuck in the 1960’s.
Quote:
No. Mine have always been left sided.
  Quote:
Like E. said, try Melatonin before bed.  Also try sleeping with the head elevated or reclined in the La-Z-Boy.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 9:58am »

Side of face affected Left side ONLY 4281 35%  
Right side ONLY 5295 44%  
Both sides 2310 19%  

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/general/lifestyle.htm
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
sevlow
New Board Newbie
USA 

chrissungi   sevlow1
Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 4:37pm »

Absolutely have never smoked in my life, and have always stayed as far away from second hand smoke as I could manage.

Left sider here.

I only get mine during the day, all day, but sleep like a baby at night.
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 4:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Nov 16th, 2004, 4:37pm, sevlow wrote:

I only get mine during the day, all day, but sleep like a baby at night.

Chris

Have I understood that right, your attacks last all day?

Wendy
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2004, 4:46pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
sevlow
New Board Newbie
USA 

chrissungi   sevlow1
Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 11:11am »

Wendy,

The way mine show themselves is that I wake up in the morning feeling fine.  Then about 9:00 am shadows start coming out (Kip 1-3) lasting until around 3:00 pm when they ramp up to Kip 6-8 (if I'm lucky only that high, have maxed out a time or two) by 7:00 pm, and then hold steady there until around 9:00-10:00 pm and then they go away until the next day.

First time they appeared was September 26th.  Have had a PA, MD and Neuro all agree that it is CH.  Got the results of my MRI yesterday morning, and the brain was clean, but they found a cyst in my left tear duct that I saw an opthamologist about yesterday afternoon.  He found an infection, so has me on antibiotics to clear it up and hopefully the cyst will shink up on its own, and if I'm really lucky, the CHs will go away as well then.

You may recognize the last paragraph as it is what I also posted in my topic "Don't Mix Triptans" from yesterday.

On top of the three diagnoses from pros, I have read tons on it the past two months and taken the cluster quizes.  Everything points to CH, except for the two facts that 1) mine only occur during the day, and 2) they don't come on suddenly, and then go away after a relatively brief period (vs 12-13 hours as in my case).  I'm still researching and listening to all the input I can get in case it is something else, but looks/feels like CHs to me.

Do you have any thoughts on it?

Thanks,

Chris
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 11:57am »

Chris - I'm a "chronic" and shadow all day. Since I spend most of the day going about my business, I don't always notice how they come and go. I get hit relatively hard once or twice a day, and like you almost never at night. I also suffer from occasional very intense episodes. Just got over one a couple of weeks ago.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
sevlow
New Board Newbie
USA 

chrissungi   sevlow1
Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 12:43pm »

Nani,

Yep, that's me as well.  I try to go about my day as usual the best I can, because if I let them get to me that bad I would have to quit my job, and my wife and 16 month old daughter wouldn't appreciate that.  Have a desk job, so no risk of injuring myself, except for the times I feel like whacking my head with the keyboard, and a boss who has been very understanding since they have started up.

I'm actually glad that mine occur during the day and not at night.  At least I am able to get uninterrupted rest to get ready for the next day.  Just can't imagine what it must be like for those who have to go through their day as normal, and then look forward to waking up to these things during the night.  Can't imagine a worse nightmare.

Since most cycles seem to be 6-8 weeks, I'm counting down the days to Thanksgiving, which will be 8 weeks for me, and hoping that I will find out that I am not going to be chronic.

Chris
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 2:32pm »

Quote:
99% smoke, drink, and fornicate rampantly.

So the answer to another thread "Are there any positives to CH" is YES!
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 4:53pm »

Usual preface of I'm not a doctor and all that, but any unilateral headache, overlaid with periods of more intense clusterlike pain COULD be clusters, but equally and possibly even more likely could be a condition called Hemicrania continua. It is therefore crucial that anyone with these symptoms tries Indomethacin if they haven't already as it could be their "silver bullet" it has to be worth a few days of your life to give it a go. If it works, it works fast, days only!

http://www.achenet.org/articles/6.php

Wendy
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2004, 4:57pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss