Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Regarding Provigil... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Regarding Provigil...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Regarding Provigil...  (Read 352 times)
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

Regarding Provigil...
« on: Nov 9th, 2004, 7:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I had an appt with my psychiatrist yesterday, and I asked him about taking Provigil.  I am having some major fatigue problems to the point where I am so tired that I'm dragging down just about everyone around me!  I don't really feel like doing anything anymore just because of being so tired all the time.

I thought maybe asking about Provigil would be at least worth it to see if it would help.  My doc told me that the only patients he has ever put on provigil have complained of terrible headaches.  Sooooooo....I guess maybe not the best option afterall for us headache-prone types!  Who knows...

Just thought I'd share!

Hugz,
Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: Regarding Provigil...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 8:01pm »

Don't think I've ever heard of this drug, Lizzie.  What is it usually used for?

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 10:53pm »

"...modafinil ('Provigil') is a memory-improving and mood-brightening psychostimulant. It enhances wakefulness and vigilance, but its pharmacological profile is notably different from the amphetamines, methylphenidate (Ritalin) or cocaine. Modafinil is less likely to cause jitteriness, anxiety, or excess locomotor activity - or lead to a hypersomnolent 'rebound effect' - than traditional stimulants. Subjectively, it feels smoother and cleaner than the amphetamines too.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 7:27am »

A few people have been asking about it lately.  Basically, it is FDA approved only to treat narcolepsy, but it appears to work on the hypothalamus, which was of some interest to some regarding its possible use for treating clusters.  However, the "from the trenches" experiences that I've heard about this med have not been very positive as it appears to cause some pretty severe headaches.  No thanks...already got enough of them!
IP Logged

Testy1
New Board Junior
Saudi_Arabia 

Email

A different drug
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 1:30pm »

I have used a drug called piracetam sold under the name Nootropil. It is made in Belgium, has no known side effects and works great at keeping you awake. It does not make you jittery or have to run to the toilet every five minutes. No blood-pressure or heart-rate changes either. The stuff is great.
On the other hand, it just keeps you awake. It does not make you more energetic or anything of that nature.
It is OTC in Saudi but I have no idea what its status is in the US.

Best regards

Jack
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 4:33pm »

Lizzy, Instead of trying to force yourself to saty bright-eyed during the day perhaps you should try to KNOCK YOURSELF OUT AT NIGHT.  

That's what I do after a few marginally sleepful nights.  3 Tylenol PMs work for me.  The last time was Fri Night.  I took the Tylenol PMs, stayed up long enough to get a CH, slammed the Imitrex and slept 11 hours.  A little groggy the next AM but felt better by the afternoon and not tired by 6:00PM.

Not a perfect world when you're getting hammered by the beast...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss