Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 6:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil  (Read 684 times)
ClusterCowboy
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whoa...what a ride!

337743153 337743153   beavers_bottom   jeff46176
Email

Verapamil
« on: Nov 21st, 2004, 4:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey all Grin!

My Doc recently prescribed me Verapamil 80mg tabs (a blood pressure med, which I have excellent normal BP) for control of my CH's.  This script was during a cluster period of which I had three 6mg injections of Imitrex, afterwhich I still had that annoying "dull thud" going on, and in fear of another recurrence.  

The CH's seem to have, at least temporarily, ceased.  Is this as a result of this "preventative drug", or is it just coinsidence?

Any input for testimonials or side effects, please!  I am taking one 80 mg tablet, every 6 hours daily.

If this REALLY works...I'd love this over the CH's Cheesy!

Thanks to you all!

Jeff
IP Logged

If I don't learn something new every day...I've been cheated!
Ronny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Belgium 

Yabba Dabba Doo

maximus_imperius  
Email

Re: Verapamil
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 5:42pm »

Hi, it does work, for most of us.
It takes time to get in your system, 1 to two weeks.
Then it takes the edge of the attacks and reduces their number.

ronny
IP Logged

Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 5:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Nov 18th, 2004, 3:12am, pubgirl wrote:
This hasn't been posted for a while, so following the other thread about Verap thought I would post it again for new people using the drug in case they don't know (there's probably some more for this list that I've missed)

Do not take this medicine with grapefruit or grapefruit  
juice.
Avoid excessive salt intake.  
Herbal medicines or minerals:  
Ginseng may increase blood pressure, blunting the benefits of this medicine. Hawthorn, saw palmetto, ma huang, goldenseal, yohimbe and licorice may also cause increased blood pressure. Garlic and calcium may work to lower blood pressure. The combination may work to require lower verapamil doses. St. John's wort may work to lower calcium channel blocker levels. This combination may also increase sun sensitivity. Eleuthero root should be avoided by people living with hypertension.  
Caffeine levels will be increased if caffeine-containing beverages are consumed while you are on verapamil.  
Alcohol:  
Alcohol may exaggerate the drop in blood pressure and change the elimination of alcohol (experienced by some patients). This may lead to an exaggerated effect of alcohol.  
Nicotine can reduce the effectiveness of this drug.  
Marijuana smoking:  Possible reduced effectiveness of this drug; mild to moderate increase in angina; possible changes in electrocardiogram, confusing interpretation.  
Exposure to sun:  This drug may cause photosensitivity  
Exposure to heat:  Hot environments can exaggerate the blood-pressure-lowering effects of this drug.  
Heavy exercise or exertion: This drug may improve your ability to be more active without resulting angina pain. Use caution and avoid excessive exercise that could impair heart function in the absence of warning pain.  
Vitamin D : Vitamin D may interfere with the effectiveness of verapamil. People taking verapamil should ask their doctor before using vitamin D-containing supplements.  
 Fluid and Fiber  
Constipation is a common side effect of verapamil treatment. Increasing fluid and fiber intake can ease constipation.  
 Interactions with Herbs  
Pleurisy root  
As pleurisy root and other plants in the Aesclepius genus contain cardiac glycosides, it is best to avoid use of pleurisy root with heart medications such as calcium channel blockers

Also:  
At the Annual meeting of the American Headache Society  
researchers from the Universtity of Utah,presented findings based on more than 20 studies,on possible interaction between migraine and Cluster Headache meds and herbal products.  
They concluded that the combinations of some herbal products and meds used for migraine/Cluster Headaches and other H/A disorders could render the meds ineffective or even toxic because they can interact with the liver enzymes that metobolize the meds.  
They are as follows  

Ginko Biloba  
St Johns Wort  
Ginseng  
Echinacea  
Large quantities of Garlic  
Valerian Root  

The meds studied:  
  Triptans:  Imigran,Zomig.Maxall,Amerge,Frova,  
 Tricyclic: Amitriptyline,Pamelon,Tofranil and others.

Wendy  
(thanks for the reminder Em!)

IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 5:46pm »

or stops them completely Cheesy

Ronny's right though, they take a while to work and get the dosage right as it is different for different people. You also need an ECG to check the effect they are having on your heart (hopefully one was done before you started taking them, if not, you need one done)

Good luck with it Jeff!

Wendy
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2004, 5:48pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 8:30pm »

Hi Jeff,

Verapamil is very effective for many people.  Personally, I've found that 480mg/day is my magic dose for prevention.  It does take a week or so to kick in though, so don't be surprised if you get hit a few more times .... and the shadows tend to stay around a couple weeks even after that sometimes.

Verap is a calcium-channel blocker that helps heart irregularities, but lucky for us clusterheads, it also helps us!  One of the side effects of Verap is a lowering of the blood pressure, so you need to report to your doc if you get dizziness or anything like that.

Also, be aware that the biggest side-effect of Verapamil is constipation.  In other words, fiber, fiber, water, water, etc.  LOL  Hope this does the trick for you.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 8:40pm »

Verapamil (and lithium) have been a huge help... I will continue with verapamil (I take 360mgs day) forever. I'm a chronic and I have high BP. Like Kris says...water, fiber, more water, more fiber...
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Scylla
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 10:57pm »

Constipation:  hydrocodone made me intensely constipated--really
miserable.  However, I discovered the best remedy I've ever seen--
Yogi Tea (sold in health food stores), one teabag in a cup of hot water,
or even two or three if you're not going anywhere the next day. It
contains Senna which is great for constipation.  It says to never take
more than 4 cups in a day---but 1 or 2 can do just fine.
IP Logged
Scylla
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 11:00pm »

OOPS! SORRY! I forgot the most important thing---it's not just Any
Yogi Tea brand, but the one called GET REGULAR.  Their HIBISCUS PARADISE tea lowers blood pressure naturally.
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 3:55am »

If anything you are taking lowers your blood pressure "naturally" it would make sense to check it out very carefully if you are on Verapamil or any other drug which affects blood pressure

Wendy
IP Logged
ClusterCowboy
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whoa...what a ride!

337743153 337743153   beavers_bottom   jeff46176
Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 3:57pm »

cowboyThankyou all for your contributions to my inquiry!

I must admit though...a couple of them have scared me a little.

I'm  not sure I like the sound of the health risks.  I have had some heart questions in the past and also have already experienced some of the lesser side effects that you have described...is the results worth the risk and frustration?

Thanks again,
Jeff cowboy
IP Logged

If I don't learn something new every day...I've been cheated!
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 8:12pm »

Only you can make that decision, Jeff.

Yes, these are serious meds - meant for treating a serious and extremely painful problem.  All meds have side effects.  Some are worse than others.

Judging from what I've read on this board in the past year, the really serious reactions happen, but they're not the norm.    Most of us do OK with the meds we're on, so don't freak out.

However - we're all different, and it might take a little trial and error to find the perfect med combo for you.  Work with your doc and keep asking questions.

PFDAN to You!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Jonny

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 8:20pm »

480 mgs of Verap a day everyday for the last 13 years (Im chronic)....never a problem.

........................................jonny
IP Logged
asrich
New Board Newbie
USA 

CH's suck

« Reply #12 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 9:14pm »

I have been using 380 mg/day verap for about 7 years. Blood pressure is fine, and my ekg's are always fine. Sometimes the CH's come anyway, so my neurologist adds in either prednisone or right now, nortriptiline, which is working pretty good.  

Good luck,

Andy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss