Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 9:40pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Depakote »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Depakote
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Depakote  (Read 735 times)
bobbio56
New Board Newbie
USA 

Joke 'em if they can't take a ....

Email

Depakote
« on: Nov 21st, 2004, 9:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, 8 yrs. CH, last 2 chronic. HA every 2-3 hrs in the last month. My neuro is fairly well informed. He has me on 900 mg Lith., but only 120 mg Verap. I tried to explain that maybe we should up the Verap., he ain't listening.
Last week he suggested Depakote, said if it worked, I'd know quickly. Anyone here tried it?
As many HAs as I've had over 8 yrs., they are at their absolute worst. Breaking through 80 mg of Pred., and pissed off too. I'm open to suggestion. You folks have been a ray of light on many occassions when I wasn't sure I'd make it. Again thanks to all of you, and my sincere best wishes for PF days.[img]
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: Depakote
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 8:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Depakote is another drug that docs try on us clusterheads. I was on it for awhile with no positive results. (up to 1750 mg/ day) Hope it works better for you.

Don't really have any suggestions for you right now since I really don't know what all you have tried

Goodluck,
Unsolved
IP Logged
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26th, 2004, 6:58pm »

Tried depakot and it made my CH much worse.  Increased severity and frequency.

But it may work for you.  

Best wishes
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:17am »

www.clusterbusters.com
nuff said
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I had the same problem with my neuor trying to push other drugs that I knew other people had bad side effects with. I was on 360 verapamil when I first saw him and he was freaked saying it was to high for such a small person and I whipped out the Rossen review I think Gator gave me and showed him it was fine for someone with CH ( I had no bad side effects) I wanted to go higher but we agreed to add lithium at 300mg and see and then maybe go higher. You need to arm yourself with info for him so he understands.Get that review from Gator, it was excellent and Dr.'s respect med reviews, if you put to them in the right way.
IP Logged
sioux-z
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 5:03pm »

Sorry for the late response, I haven't been to this site in awhile.  I was afraid to try Depakote because eveyone said it wouldn't work but it actually did work for me- and quickly.  In the past I had used Prednisone and Verapamil and Imitrex injections to abort.  The Prednisone and Verapamil were completely ineffective this past cycle.  I haven't had a full blown CH since the second day I took Depakote.  I was still having shadows so my neuro upped my dose and they went away as well.  I have been CH free for about 6 weeks.  Unfortunately there were side effects- I gained about 10 pounds in 6 weeks- YIKES!  I have also heard that it can make your hair fall out.  A few weeks ago I thought this was happening so I started lowering my dose gradually.  I have been off Depakote for 4 days with no CH's yet.  Hopefully my cycle is over!  If you haven't already- don't be afraid to try it!
IP Logged
bobbio56
New Board Newbie
USA 

Joke 'em if they can't take a ....

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 7:08pm »

ShockedThanks for the feedback. I tried it for a week with no help. Dr. said if it worked, it would work soon. Shocked After reading sioux-z's response, I may try again. Still at every 3-4 hrs., for last month plus. They're breaking thru 80mg of pred., so I tapered. Worst I've had in 8 years. 9 months straight after a 1  1/2 yr break.
May start drinking and smoking again since quitting didn't help. Lol.  
Thanks for y'all explaining these bastards to a new love interest. Without this website, she just thought I was insane. Now it's confirmed!  Again, PFDs for ALL of YOU!!
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #7 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 11:02am »

I took Depakote up to 1500mg without so much as a side effect, let alone CH effect, but hey, it does work for some people.  Verap is sometimes given as high as 960mg, but you are supposed to have an electrocardiogram with every increase over 480mg.

Here is the information Becky8 was refering to plus a few more links.  

Quote:
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventative, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  

http://www.future-drugs.com/admin/articlefile/ERN020304.pdf  

Here is a link to some non-prescription alternatives different people have used to help with the pain:  

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/non_script_treat.htm

If you are currently taking medications, I would suggest you talk with your doctor before taking any of the nutritional supplements.  At the very least check for interactions at a website such as:  

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Home/AllAboutDrugs

Nutritional supplements can interact with prescription meds just the same as some prescription meds interact with each other.  Better safe than sorry where your health is concerned.  

Oxygen is an excellent abortive.  Works for most people when used properly.  Defintely try this.  As well as it works, I have a hard time understanding why more doctors do not prescribe it.  If your doc won't prescribe it for you, you might try welder's O2.  It's the same pure oxygen used by medical suppliers.  Many people here use it and would be more than happy to help you set it up.  Here is a link that tells about using O2 and shows a setup using welder's O2.  

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

Hope this helps,

Gator
IP Logged
ccbiggsoo7
New Board Veteran

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 3:42pm »

Depakote worked for me about 2 years ago I was on it for abbout a year with pretty good results. It made my muscles hurt all over though , felt like I was 80 years old. Got off of it and went to lith, verap combo for a couple years, then went back on depakote again, this time no luck and it causes thinning of the hair. It is definately worth trying. Doc said muscle problems was a rare side effect. But I did get a painfree year out of the experience. Chris
IP Logged

chris
Langa
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

So many donuts, such little time...

« Reply #9 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 12:52pm »

I was on 500mg of Depakote ER (the time release one) during my last cycle.  I knew right away that it worked.  It stopped the clusters for me.  They went from 2-4 a day to 2 a week and then none.  The catch?  I shadowed almost constantly and I had a 4 month cluster cycle as opposed to 6-8 weeks all the cycles before.  I believe the Depakote extended the cycle...could be wrong.  I was also nauseaus all the time, so I lost 40 pounds.   Undecided

Next cycle, i'm following Karma's advice, i'm going to clusterbusters.

Good luck!

Langa
IP Logged

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss