Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 7:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Trex Bruising »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Trex Bruising
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trex Bruising  (Read 1067 times)
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

Trex Bruising
« on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 3:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello.
I have got this bruise on the side of my thigh about the size of a half dollar from a full trex stat dose shot from a week ago. it was kind of like a knot there for a while. I'll take the bruise over the pain.  Is there a way for this not to happen?  

Been keeping low pain at bay with ice and showers.

I'm really not that vain, but soon I will look very purple polka-dotted if I keep this up. No way I'm shooting it in my arm.  

Thanks,
lionsound
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2004, 3:17pm by lionsound » IP Logged
don

Email

Re: Trex Bruising
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 3:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Try injecting in a less sesitive area.
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 4:07pm »

I get them sometimes.  I still have one from a week ago Sunday when I decided that I'll hit the back of my arm above the tricep muscle - more fatty tissue - less chance of hitting muscle.  Didn't hurt but a couple of days later I noticed a deep purple silver-dollar-sized bruise.  My wife says its from either hitting a vein or possibly a capillary.

I have never re-used a injector and have never bothered to swab the area I intend to shoot.  Never had any ill effects.  Is it worth it to bother swabbing w/alchol?
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 5:25pm »

Yes, Marlin, I do alcohol swab the area I'm going to inject with trex...if I can. I keep those pre-packaged wipes around in the house and car.  

And Don, I'm not so sure that there is a less sensitive area would mean less bruising for me. I think it's in the administration method, but I don't know what to do different. I'll be trying a different spot anyway next time.  

Thanks, gentlemen.Smiley
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 8:26pm »

Here's a suggestion Lionsound ...  

When I grab for the Trex, I'm usually crazy and tense from the pain.  I noticed that sometimes I'm so tense and anxious for the pain to end, I squeeze the area I'm going to inject really tight and press the injector hard against my leg (I always use my thighs).  Anyway, when I do that, I almost always get a bruise.  I also wonder sometimes if I start pulling out the injector before it's done.

If you notice yourself squeezing up the skin when you inject, try to stop.  When you squeeze, you're compressing the tiny blood capillaries under the skin.  That's what bleeds and causes the bruise.  You could also try pressing down on the injection spot for a minute right after you pull out the needle.  

Just a couple thoughts from one Trex lover to another!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
don

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 9:53pm »

Good point. The injector should just be laying against the skin. Otherwise you may be injecting to deeply.

Try the back of the bicep or just under your shoulder on the upper arm.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2004, 9:54pm by don » IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 4:11pm »

OH...I did not know that......

Part of the problem is that I have to stop being a wuss and give myself the trex injection. My husband did it last time and I think he did push the trex injector too hard into my leg. And I tend to tense up too, which is less than helpful.

I'll try your suggestions next time as I'm sure there'll be one.  

Thanks for the helpful advice!
-lionsound
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2004, 4:14pm by lionsound » IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #7 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 4:03pm »

I don't like the Stat dose pen.  I don't like that waiting for the plunger to punch the needle through my skin.  I always used the stat dose trick and used half a shot.  It's a heck of a lot easier (at least for me) when I am in control, so I went to the vials.  Using the vials and a .5cc insulin syringe with a 31 guage needle, I barely feel anything at all when I inject.  I've never had a bruise from either method, though.

Give it a try.

Gator
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 8:23pm »

Because of  Don and Gator, and of course Kris_S I am a regular old junkie now. I can shoot in the dark!!! Side ways and on the upper back side of the arm. Did I ever thank you guys for those tips!!! Works everytime! Oh, I have vials and 27" needle(kinda big)  
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 8:53pm »

For use with Imitrex vials - 1ml 27G1/2 (0.4mm X 13mm) Reorder# 309623

I've got a bruise that never goes away because I keep hitting myself in the same place (upper arm) .... and yes ... I can do it in the pitch dark, quickly  Grin

Unsolved
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:38pm »

Quote:
I have never re-used a injector and have never bothered to swab the area I intend to shoot.

Quote:
I don't like that waiting for the plunger to punch the needle through my skin. Using the vials and a .5cc insulin syringe with a 31 guage needle,

Quote:
The injector should just be laying against the skin.

Quote:
push the trex injector too hard into my leg

Quote:
For use with Imitrex vials - 1ml 27G1/2 (0.4mm X 13mm) Reorder# 309623  

You folks make me proud.....
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
ccbiggsoo7
New Board Veteran

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 3:51pm »

ocassionally you will hit a muscle when injection is given, it will swell up like a little mole hill on you. Just rub area with finger till it goes down. Currently have one on my arm from 3 days ago. No big deal! Has happened to me prob. 5 times in about 6 years. About 800 shots given. A bruised arm and a knot is much better than a cluster anyday. Chris
IP Logged

chris
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 6:53pm »

Giving Yourself the  (Subcutaneous) Injection

Select your injection site. This must be an area that has a layer of fat between the skin and the muscle. This is called subcutaneous. The following parts of your body have subcutaneous layers:

* outer surface of the upper arm
    * top of thighs
    * buttocks
    * abdomen, except the navel or waistline  

1. If you are very thin do not use the abdomen as an injection site.
   2. Do not use the same site for injections each time.
   3. Rotate your injection sites in a regular pattern. You should be at least 1 ˝ inches away from the last injection site. Jot down on your calendar where you gave you last shot. This will help prevent giving the shot in the same place too soon.
   4. Select a site and cleanse the area (about 2 inches) with a fresh alcohol pad, or cotton ball soaked in alcohol.
   5. Wait for the site to dry.
   6. Remove the needle cap.
   7. Pinch a 2–inch fold of skin between your thumb and index finger.
   8. Hold the syringe the way you would a pencil or dart. Insert the needle at a 45 to 90 degree angle to the pinched–up skin. The needle should be completely covered by skin. If you do this quickly, you will feel very little discomfort.
   9. Hold the syringe with one hand. With the other, pull back the plunger to check for blood. If you see blood in the solution in the syringe, do not inject. Withdraw the needle and start again at a new site.
  10. If you do not see blood, slowly push the plunger to inject the medication. Press the plunger all the way down.
  11. Remove the needle from the skin and gently hold an alcohol pad on the injection site. Do not rub.
  12. If there is bleeding, apply a bandage.
  13. Immediately put the syringe and needle into the disposal container*.  

http://www.hopkins-arthritis.som.jhmi.edu/corner/howtoinject.html

If you follow these instructions it should reduce the frequency and intensity of bruising.  Excessive bruising could be a sign of nutritional deficiency, talk to your doctor or a nutritionist--an occasional bruise is normal.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss