Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 10:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « prednisone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   prednisone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: prednisone  (Read 704 times)
alann
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

prednisone
« on: Dec 5th, 2004, 12:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi out there,I haven't been in cluster for 18 months (my longest stretch without cluster in 20 years) but came back 2 nights ago and it appears its baaaccck. In the past Ive taken the Verap/Prednisone combo (it works for me). Before I embark on the 6 week prednisone ride I wanted to ask if there are any new thoughts on prednisone particularly the downside - I've been out of touch on research etc for the past 18 months. Thanks for any help.
Alan
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: prednisone
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 1:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Nothing has changed about Prednisone or it's side effects.  

A "6 week ride" is a long ride. Wondering what kind of dosing schedule you follow and it's probable side effects.

Unsolved

IP Logged
alann
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 10:55pm »

Sorry, its not 6 weeks, its 1 week at 60mg, then a 12 day taper down. The last few times I took this stuff I did a fair bit of research, was OK with the day-day side eefects, a little worried of the long term side effect on my bones. Also last cluster I "rebounded" very hard after the prednisone course. I feel like prednisone will continue to be a part of my life (and I feel so grateful to have something that works) but I worry about what damage I'm doing to my body and think I should learn moer from others more familiar with the drug.
IP Logged
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 1:39am »

One quack dr.left me on 60mg. a day for 18 months. almost killed me, gained 55lbs..short term it's a miracle drug. i would'nt do it more than two weeks.at a time. for 10 years i hadno more than 2 weeks PF at a time. predisonne does help break the cycle.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 9:49am »

Quote:
short term it's a miracle drug
Agreed.  Instant stoppage of the attacks for me.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
allan_r
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 9:34pm »

Long term side effects?  Look at Jerry Lewis.

I love prednisone.  No CH that day. until you get down to 20mg in a few weeks that is.  I know the feeling.  

I've read in the treatment papers online that two courses of prednisone per year is acceptabe-- This year I went through three 21 day cycles,  My doc doses 70mg x 3days with 10 mg tapers every three days.  He said he wouldn't do a fourth.  I geuss you should be fine.  However, maybe you need to go to higher doses on the Verapamil more quickly, if the HA is back at the end of the taper.  Verapamil doesn't sound like it is taking effect.

Talk to doctor about the dosage on the verapamil this time, or adding lithium to the mix.  That may work as well-  the headache seems to change over time and adapt to what we attempt to do to it.

allan r.
IP Logged
marieinthesprings
New Board Newbie
USA 

2 the world U R 1 person,2 1person U R the world

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10th, 2004, 4:59am »

I got an Rx  yesterday, first time for me to use prednisone, but doc did not say anything about a taper.  Its 60mg a day for 10 days.  Whats with the tapers and what are rebounds?...........thanks....Marie
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10th, 2004, 10:02am »

taking pred causes your body to stop producing some similar substance which it does naturally.  You have to taper off pred to allow your body to resume production of whatever that stuff is (I'm too lazy to go find the name).  If you stop taking the pred at a high dose, you got no pred and you got no natural production.  You're screwed.  It's like taking verap at high dose for a long time.  If you stop cold turkey, you're blood pressure is liable to skyrocket.  Gotta give the body time to readjust slowly.

Pred doesn't cause rebounds, it just stops working on the clusters as you get to a low dosage.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11th, 2004, 1:27am »

Marie,

Be very careful with Pred.  you HAVE to taper down at the end of the cycle.  One time I tapered down too quickly and had the weirdest episode.  I thought for sure I was going to pass out....my heart was racing and sweat was POURING off of me from head to toe....it was not fun.

(I also gained 60 lbs when put on Pred for a  year and a 1/2).  I have a severe hatred for Pred and will never go on it again no matter how bad the pain gets...

Virginia  Undecided
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss