Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 7:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Melatonin treatment »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Melatonin treatment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Melatonin treatment  (Read 637 times)
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

Melatonin treatment
« on: Dec 15th, 2004, 8:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just started a new cycle and would like to try melatonin.  My neurologist started me on 25mg of topamax last night to see if I tolerate the stuff(never used it before).  After doing some reading on this site I added 9mg of melatonin.  Any tips on how long to take the melatonin if it works? Should it be tapered the way other drugs are if it's successful?
IP Logged
allan_r
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: Melatonin treatment
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 8:59pm »

I am on the topomax as well (effective for me at 200 -- it took two months to get up to that -- and about a month to get past the side effects of the drug, give it a chance if it is effective for you).  

I have also used the melatonin-- just take before bedtime.  No tapering required.  just the 9 or 10 mg every night.  Helps with the sleep cycle and can prevent nocturnal HA and/or increase effectiveness of the preventive drug your taking according to some.  

Personally, I haven't found it helpful for the HA, but have found that I am getting a better night's sleep for what its worth.

allan r.
IP Logged
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 9:10pm »

I will give you my opionion based on my experiences.
Start with 9mg and play around with the dosage if it doesn't work.  If the melatonin works I would only take it while in cycle and taper off it like a traditional med.  

I had a bad experience when I stopped taking melatonin too fast and started another cycle way before I was due.  Because of that, I tried staying on it between cycles and it didn't work for me when my next cycle started.  When I tapered after my cycle it worked perfectly.  Of course, this all may be coincidence...    

Is that what you were asking?

I hope it works for you.

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 10:15pm »

Thanks.  Are there any side effects?  My left nostril has been running all day -- my CH come in my left eye -- and it's definitely not a cold.  I've had shadows but no headaches.
IP Logged
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 8:26am »

Side effects?  Drowsiness, obviously.  It seemed like I had more shadows, but the payoff of no real headaches made up for that.  I didn't have any runny nose.  Melatonin is usually described as having few if any side effects, but there are few if any scientific studies to support that belief.
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss