Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil Dosing Decisions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil Dosing Decisions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil Dosing Decisions  (Read 1742 times)
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

Verapamil Dosing Decisions
« on: Dec 21st, 2004, 9:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just a quick dosing question.  

My Neuro re-wrote my verapamil RX yesterday for 240 mg extended 2x a day. I still have nearly a full bottle of the 80mg regulars .  

Would it make sense to take 2 80s 3x a day until they are used up or fill the new rx now? Seems like a drastic increase all at once.  

Other options i'm considering are 80mg , 80mg, 160 at night and gradually add the additional doses over the next week or so if necessary.  

He also doubled my lithium to 300 mg 2x a day. I don't want to overdo the meds - but i also want some relief.  
IP Logged
Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

i can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Re: Verapamil Dosing Decisions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 10:24am »

what about asking the neuro? i know some have limited personalities--i lucked out in that regard.  

i work psychiatric, and i oversee self-administration of medications for my clients. when they have a med change, the doctor orders a change in dosage, and the pharmacy gives us new meds reflecting that change, but they also take the old medication and try to alter it to fit the new dosage if possible, and they ask us to use that up before using the new script. for instance, take two 100mg pills before taking the new 200mg pills or cut a 50mg pill before taking the new 25mg pill (note: NEVER cut a pill that isn't scored! & NEVER cut a pill before your pharmacist okays it). you can also ask your pharmacist for advice. if you're concerned about your doctor's order, go ahead and call him/her or seek out a second opinion...

best of luck to ya!  Wink
IP Logged

Teaudire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 10:57am »

I actually did ask him when he wrote the scrip - he said i could take 2 80's 3x a day until i used them up and then fill the new scrip.  

Just seems like kind of a large increase all at once.  

I seem to recall someone telling me that it is more common to increase more gradually.  

Thanks!
Sylvan
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 11:17am »

Since you've got them already, I would suggest using up the old one's first. You are still taking them in smaller doses, so it should be OK. See how you feel after the first 160mg dose, and take it from there. I take 240mgs in the AM and 120mgs at night. No side effects. Hope it helps!
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 11:57am »

Thanks Nani:

I took 160 last night & felt fair this morning - only 2 brief wake up calls last night.  

Only took 80 this morning though - and took the extra dose of Lithium around 10 (12 hours btwn doses)  

Feel like a wet dish rag right now - shadowing - and drained.  

May try to leave work early tonight.  

Anne
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 12:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Are you taking the lithium at night too? I take 80's 3 times a day and one lithium during the day and at night I take 80 and 1/2 and one lithium. But I also take 6-9mg melatoin, and that helps alot with my night hits!!!!!
IP Logged
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 12:44pm »

As of last night - i'm taking 300 mg Lithium at night - and one during the day. Took 160 verapamil last night - 80 this morning and plan to take another 80 mid afternoon.  

I jsut started taking the melatonin at night - just 3mg though. Seems to help a little.  

I want to see what raising the lithium and verap does before raising the melatonin too. Too many changes at once and I'll have no clue what's actually making a difference.
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 12:47pm »

Do more melatoin, CHers need at least 6mg!! It won't affect it at all!
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 12:50pm »

I know it seems like soooo many drugs, i was kinda freaked by it too, but to get it under control you sometimes have to take usually high doses. Best of Luck! See how your blood test come back from the lithium too
IP Logged
bobbio56
New Board Newbie
USA 

Joke 'em if they can't take a ....

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 10:36pm »

Depends with Verap..............Extended relief variety? I just got up to 480mg ER. Lessened a 3 month killer cycle to bearable. Chronic, was getting 8 HA/day , 6-9.99. My dog is grateful. He doesn't have to watch as often. Point is, I didn't get as much or consistent relief until I switched to ER Verap., taken before bed.  
4-6 weeks experimenting to get to here. Trying to fine tune and get through this lengthy cycle. Verap. is unique to the individual in dosage and results in many cases. Best for y'all!!!    PFD

Bobbio
IP Logged
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 1:11pm »

Thanks!  

I took 6mg of the melatonin last night ..... AND SLEPT! (well at least until 4 am)  

I feel more rested today than i have in almost 2 months!  

Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!  

sayyes

Anne
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 2:23pm »

Good for you!!! its a start, I don't think many us with CH sleep like people without it do, but its much better to sleep only til 4 than not at all. The longer you take it the more its in your body so you might get even longer sleep cycles, everyone's different though!! Good luck!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss