Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 2:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Relpax »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Relpax
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Relpax  (Read 598 times)
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

Relpax
« on: Dec 29th, 2004, 6:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anyone have any experience/opinions on this med?

(edited for misspelling)
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2004, 6:57am by Tara Ann » IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

Re: Relpax
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 8:37am »

Relpax worked about as well for me as any other Triptan pill has.  Which is to say, about 50-60% effective.    The problem with the pills is that they take a while to take effect.    Plus, I usually get nauseous when I get hit with a K9+, so I can't keep the pills down.

I've had better luck with the Zomig nasal spray and the orally disintegrating tablets.  They not only work faster, but I also don't have to worry about puking them up!

Joe
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2004, 8:38am by JoeS » IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 9:18pm »

I used Relpax in the past.  Takes too long to kick in but does an excellent job of preventing the ch's for about 8 hours after ingestion.

If I felt the shadows ramping up I could sometimes halt all in time, sometimes not.

I actually used it as a prevent for a week that I HAD to stay pf.  It did well but I couldn't stay on it forever..hehe.

IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

i can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 6:52pm »

i liked relpax, but like others, i took with heavy shadows, and then it kept the pain away for a good 8 hours. i'm on imitrex pills now instead of relpax. the relpax pills seemed to last a little longer in my system, but with my insurance, i have a $25 copay per pack, and imitrex has 9 pills per pack while relpax only had six. imitrex was a better "buy" and is working well for me. it does nothing once you get a serious hit, though, because it takes too long to work. and, you can't go to the ER for an imitrex shot because you have this stuff in your system. so, it's not a good option for everyone.

good luck to ya & painfree wishes!  Grin
IP Logged

Teaudire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 11:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I take Relpax, 20mg (half of a 40mg pill), before bedtime, and it keeps away most of the night time hits.

I have also taken it before a Chinese dinner, and it helped against the massive dose of MSG.
IP Logged
spicyblkgirl
New Board Newbie
USA 

spicyblkgirl  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 12:47am »

I am taking the Relpax now.  I find it to work okay.  Unfortunately the dosage is a big whacked.  I have 4 to 5 headaches per day and can only take 2 in a 24 hour period.  I have been using Excedrine Migrain in between.  It works sometimes depending on how severe the headache is.  I have been on Predinsone starting at 40mg but tapered off now and yes the beast is alive and kicking.  Does anyone else have other solutions that may work in between the 24 hour period of Relpax.  Besides they are so expensive 9 pills is all I am allowed per prescription which cost $35 per script which I have filled 3 times.

HELP ME
IP Logged

If you believe, you can achieve
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 1:04am »

I've never taken Relpax.   There are several here who have, though.

Maybe you should see your Doc....see if there's something that will work better for you.  Something to take care of the extra hits you get every day.

I get hit only at night, always 1-2 hours after going to bed.   I take Melatonin....and today I started taking the Kudzu.   (see post in Medication section)    I also take B Complex, C0Q10, magnesium, and a good multi vitamin.

Maybe your Doc can give you a better preventative.   Also...do you have 02??   You could probably abort some of those ha's with the oxygen.    

Good luck.....wish I could of been more help.

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 8:06am »

I use it too, half a 40mg pill, effective 80% of the time within half an hour.
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 8:43am »

As with any of the meds, everyone reacts differently.  Relpax was the first triptan I was given last year, was on Vioxx, Verapamil and an anti depressant too at the time, and also was starting Neurontin.  All I can really recall was that I was still getting hit, and felt like dog shite from all the meds.  

Not a good experience for me, but your mileage may vary.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 11:18am »

Spicy, is that the only meds you are on?  If so you do need a preventative.  Pred is usually used to cut down the CH while a longer term preventative gets into your system....

BTW I thanks for all the relpax info everyone.  I have tried it on 3 seperate occasions now and it didn't even help the migraine I had last week, and didn't even come close to touching my CH's.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

« Reply #10 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 12:00pm »

Tara-ann,

maybe you need a higher dose? Be carefull though!

Take care.
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #11 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 5:48am »

If you can get it, try Zomig NS.  Several people report it kills the attack and keeps another at bey for anywhere from 10 to 24 hours.  I also believe Thomas has pretty good results with the quick dissolve Zomig tabs.

Good luck and PF2U.
IP Logged
Boyce
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 2:08pm »

I've been taking Relpax 40mg 2x a day....started it when my ins company had the grand wisdom to tell me that the doctor was prescribing more maxalt than they were going to pay for....

once in the morning/lunchtime when I first feel a CH coming on....sometimes it doesn't catch up with the beast and I have to abort the HA with the O2....

Then in the evening before bed, I take another as part of my nightly "Rel-Ben-Mel" cocktail..... (40 mg Replax, 25 mg Benadryl, 9 mg Melatonin)  

The only trouble I have at night now is that I have a hard time getting up to go pee....  Roll Eyes  and some wickedly vivd and strange dreams  Shocked
IP Logged
crazy_mj
New Board Junior
USA 

SSDD

« Reply #13 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 9:18pm »

It worked for awhile, then I built up what I believe was a tolerance for it. Same with the Maxalt.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss