Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Oxygen help, please »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Oxygen help, please
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oxygen help, please  (Read 866 times)
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

Oxygen help, please
« on: Dec 31st, 2004, 10:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,   I got my first prescription for Oxygen a few days ago  (never had it for first 10 yrs of CH).

The problem is, it's not working all that well, and I want to make sure I'm using it correctly before giving up on it.

I have what I believe is a non-rebreathing mask -- it covers the nose & mouth and has a plastic bag, and looks like the one in the picture in the link on the left side.     I've got a big a** tank, and the regulator goes all the way to 15 lpm.    

When I exhale, the bag will fill up, then empties as I inhale, which leads me to believe that I'm not getting pure O2, but rather the air I just exhaled.

The problem might be that I'm just not giving it enough time, since it's so hard to sit still when the beast attacks.

Any help is certainly appreciated as always.

--Joe
IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
Chillrmn1

Email

Re: Oxygen help, please
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 12:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It sounds like your doing it right. Had problems my first go round, regulator was too small at 8 L/M, delivered nose tubes intead of mask. Finally recieved a 15 L/M regulator and right mask. When I exhale, the air leaves thru the check valves near the nostril sides on my mask. At time of exhale, the check valve by the bag closes and the oxygen fills the bag for your next inhale. This is the best I can explain how mine works and since getting the new regulator and mask, I get relief. For me, I need to start the O2 at first sign of attack or shadow. If I wait too long to start the O2 and my headache escalates in intensity, the O2 doesn't seem to help much, so out comes the imitrex.

Hope This Helps
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2004, 12:26pm by Chillrmn1 » IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 12:59pm »

It sounds like you are doing it correctly.......
The important thing is to start using it at first signs of attack.
I hope it does work for you since it is a hell of a lot "better" for you/us than many of the meds.....

It works fairly well for me and if it doesn't, then I'm a jab away from relief. Had to this morning at a clients house...Oh well, that's our life as we know it.

Good luck and hope you catch a break!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 1:36pm »

On closer inspection, it appears that my mask doesn't have a check valve on the plastic bag.   So there's nothing to stop my exhaled air from going back into the bag.    Does that explain my problem?  I think it might.  

Joe
IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 2:11pm »

does it have a little disc that goes around the opening in the mask?
If so then you are ok...that is what prevents the  
"re-breathing"

Good luck
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2004, 2:11pm by E-Double » IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 3:26pm »

Yup, it was missing the discs that should have covered the bag opening as well as the side vents.     Was able to get a non-defective mask from the local hospital, free of charge.     Props to Seton Northwest Hospital (Austin, TX) for the assistance.
IP Logged

Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 4:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Glad you found the problem. Hope the O2 works for you.  

Sounds like we have the same luck - 1,000 masks produced properly, 1 mask defective; guess who always seems to get the defective one? That's right, yours truly. LOL

Glad you got it exchanged in short notice.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2004, 4:55pm by Chillrmn1 » IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 7:20am »

Here's another trick I've learned. Since you will never be using the thing when you're asleep, take the elastic band off completely so you can press it against your face and maintain an air-tight seal against your skin.

Just another way to ensure 100% O2 instead of room air.

Bill
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 9:44am »

My O2 Lamaze Method:

1.  I cut the strap off the mask.
2.  I make sure the intake valve (between the bag and mask) is functioning properly.
3.  I put tape over the exhaust valves on the sides of the mask so they don't work.

Procedure:
1.  Turn on the O2 and let bag fill.
2.  Press mask against face with one hand and squeeze the bag with the other hand, inhale deeply.
3.  Release the bag and pull mask slightly away from face, exhale through mouth, blowing the air down away from the mask.
4.  Repeat #2 & #3.

This not only gives me max O2 delivery but keeps my mind and hands busy, taking my thoughts away from the pain.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 1:43pm »

I just got my first oxygen tank + non-rebreather mask the other day too.  The tech showed me a trick so that it works properly.  Before putting on the mask, turn on the gas and put a finger over the O2 inlet valve inside the mask.  This will make the bag blow up.  Now, put the mask on.  The bag should stay full as you inhale and exhale, that tells you that you are getting the full benefit of the oxygen.  My regulator only goes to 8 LPM but that seems to be just fine.  The O2 aborted 3 CHs today in about 15-20 minutes and toned a fourth way down.  Some pain and anxiety but I haven't had to pace at all once I got the O2 flowing.  The results aren't as dramatic as with Imitrex, but it sure beats screaming.

To the more experienced:  what's the best way to breathe on O2?  Deep slow breaths, frequent shallow breaths, other techniques? Breathe thru the nose, the mouth, a combination?
IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 5:11pm »

02 is my only line of defense that I can use due to a heart attack back in June.I use it every day as a preventative and when hit hard also as an abortive.I use a non-breather mask without a bag.I usually take deep breaths at 15 ltrs/15 min.95% of the time I get complete relief and if I need a hit again later,I just repeat the process.No drugs to screw my head up and a lot cheaper than the trex stats I was shooting up 4 or 5 times a week.Good luck.I know nothing works for everyone,but it sure does wonders for me. twocentsDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
EvertBoer
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 6:51pm »

I use slow deep breaths (completely emptying the bag and finishing the breath with an empty bag...the oxygen goes right through). While I exhale, the bag refills. It seems to me that if your bag stays full, you are either getting a lot of non-oxygen air through one of the side vents (whenever I get a new mask, only one of the side vents has a valve, so I tape over the side that doesn't) or you just have the flow too high. I find quick shallow breaths doesn't work as well for me.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 7:00pm »

I use it the same way Bob P does, and it keeps me from many a "dance".

Also,  I believe the Verapamil and Melatonin are responsible for keeping them at a level the 02 can handle.
I go nowhere without it . .  . get my tanks ("E"Wink five at a time and keep two in reserve plus a couple of ("B"Wink tanks for carrying in a backpack where convenient (like taking the grandson to a movie)

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss