Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 8:43am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Lithium as Prophylactic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Lithium as Prophylactic
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lithium as Prophylactic  (Read 2737 times)
Chet
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: Lithium as Prophylactic
« Reply #75 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 11:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just to clarify some terms, "pulse" refers to a dosing practice in which a medication is withdrawn for a period so that its blood level rises and falls as opposed to remaining constant. The time interval in a pulse dosing schedule depends on one's headache schedule. For example, in my case, I have had to dose at different times, say 4 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. to block certain attacks at 6 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. That would mean that my plasma level would reach maximum saturation at 6 and 11:30 and then drop off for the next 15-16 hours. That is very different from the way it is normally prescribed.

Concerning the term "cure," I have never represented the use of lithium as a cure. I have offered it as one way to "control" or "manage" clusters by blocking,  preventing, pre-empting them -- choose your term. To my knowledge it has no effect on the duration or frequency of ones "cycle."
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #76 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 11:35am »

So if I take one dose a day now....do I have to skip a day to get the blood level down? And if I get hit all day do I take it before my first hit (2 hours before)? Lithium makes me feel weird, so I've been taking it at bedtime. I don't get hit at night though. How would this work for me? Or better said...could you suggest how I would take it.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2005, 11:35am by nani » IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #77 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 11:47am »

repeat:  we think Mike's success is partly due to the fact that he is otherwise med-free.  The "conventional" cluster prescription is to combine lithium with verapamil and high doses of both.  That contradicts this theory.  
Mike didn't have much success with the overly-medicated route either.  
This isn't a cure - Mike's still most definitely in cycle.  But he's pain free in this cycle.  THAT is huge.  There's a lot to be said for not overmedicating oneself.  
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #78 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 12:23pm »

I have to take verap, clusters or not due to high BP. So it won't work at all for me?
IP Logged

Chet
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #79 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 12:47pm »

Nani: Personally, I'd rather feel weird than have clusters.  

As I'm not a medical doctor, I'm not in a position to recommend anything in your specific case (and I have no idea what verap is). It appears, though that your nighttime dose of lithium *might* be blocking nighttime attacks for you. Do you have them during the daytime, even with the drugs you are taking? If so, what good are the drugs doing?

No, you don't have to skip a day to get your plasma levels down. I don't know what the rate of desaturation is, but I'm sure studies have been done on that, should you care to investigate.

PLEASE NOTE: Lithium is available in either ordinary tablets or "controlled-release" tablets or capsules. Avoid the controlled-release form. You'll get a dribble dose, rather than a pulse dose with those.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #80 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 8:28pm »

When I was episodic, I got hit at night. In the 5 years I've been chronic nighttime hits have not been a problem. I have only been on lithium since Oct.  
I'm surprised to hear that you don't know what verapamil is. In your several years of CH, you never heard of it? It's a calcium channel blocker used for high BP and also is an effective prevent for CH. It relaxes the blood vessels. Yes, I still get hit during the day (most days are relatively easy hits)...but that might be the best I can get. I don't use timed release lithium. And I cannot afford to feel weird during the day. It effects my ability to do my job(s). I still don't see how this method might work for me. Thank you for your help.
IP Logged

Chet
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #81 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 9:34pm »

on Jan 18th, 2005, 8:28pm, nani wrote:
I still don't see how this method might work for me.

No, doesn't sound as if it would.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss