Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 1:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « getting off melatonin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   getting off melatonin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: getting off melatonin  (Read 2226 times)
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

getting off melatonin
« on: Jan 10th, 2005, 9:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been taking 9 mg of melatonin just before bedtime to ward off night time CHs.  It worked for a while but stopped helping in the last two weeks, I'm getting two to three hits a night.  Should I taper off or can I simply stop taking it?

Thanks
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: getting off melatonin
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 10:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Good question. Not sure of the answer. I remember reading somewhere that taking additional melatonin does not reduce the bodies own production, but I can't put my finger on the source of that.
IP Logged
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 11:00am »

I've never heard of anything terrible about quitting melatonin cold turkey.  You might have some trouble getting to sleep, your headache pattern may change, but there's no reports about any major problems that I've seen .  If you don't think it's making the headaches worse, I'd taper just to be safe.

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 4:11pm »

I recently started taking it again.....
Had given my body a rest for a while.

When I did stop, I just stopped. No harm done.
I don't think it has the "negative" effects like other meds or suppliments can have if just ceased.

You can however, increase the amount you are taking....Ask your doctor and get a LOUD alarm clock Wink

Wishing you the best!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 4:15pm »

Try going up to 12 mg.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 8:29pm »

I've never heard negative reports about stopping Melatonin "cold turkey."  In fact, when I'm not in cycle I rarely take it.  I just stop when the cycle is over (I take 9mg when in cycle).  

If it has stopped helping you at that dose, maybe you just need to increase it a little.  There are some on the board who have taken up to 18mg (though I'm not sure I'd ever recommend that).  Because it's a "natural" supplement, there really isn't a set dose.

You might try looking at your other meds ... does your preventative need to be kicked up?

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss