Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 2:15pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « melatonin my dr said to wait... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   melatonin my dr said to wait...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: melatonin my dr said to wait...  (Read 408 times)
maureen
New Board Newbie
Scotland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

melatonin my dr said to wait...
« on: Jan 11th, 2005, 6:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hello, I asked my dr about melatonin yesterday (just recieved 02 yesterday as well) He wants me to wait and see how the o2 does I am sopose to go back next week and talk to him some more. My thought though is why wait the 02 is to stop the pain the Melatonin is to stop the pain from coming makes sense to me to take both. I am also on verapimil. Does melatonin have affects with other meds? Maybe thats why he wants me to wait. I also have T3's for back up if the 02 doesn't work I don't think they work very fast or well would love some input on this.
IP Logged
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

Re: melatonin my dr said to wait...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2005, 8:14pm »

The melatonin doesn't interfere with other meds.   It is pretty safe & harmless.  I usually take it even when out of cycle, to help me get good sleep.

I really don't think the T3 will help you.   I never got any relief AT ALL from Vicodin (hydrocodone) or Percodan (oxycodone).   I don't recommend you even try it, because of the temptation to take more than what's recommended as you see that a normal dose doesn't work.   I made that mistake once & ended up groggy and with a rebound headache for an entire day.
IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11th, 2005, 8:31pm »

Hi Maureen,

There's absolutely no reason in the world for you to "wait" to take Melatonin.  It is a natural supplement to help regulate sleep cycles.  If you can avoid a night hit by skipping REM sleep, you might not even need the oxygen!  However - I'm not a doctor - don't even pretend to be.

My other concern would be that your doc has prescribed narcotics as "back-up."  In general, for CH sufferers, narcotics do not help at all, in fact they cause rebound headaches.  Imitrex (Imigran) injections would be a more logical back-up med.

Perhaps a second opinion is called for?  Just a thought ....

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11th, 2005, 9:20pm »

Melatonin = Preventative

O2 =  Abortive

Ask your doctor why you should have to have an attack just to see about the O2.....

Melatonin should not have any effects on any meds should only if at all help you sleep thus avoiding the night time visitors.

Wishing you well!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 9:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The PDR doesn't list any interactions with verapamil.  
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/mel_0286.s html
On the other hand, it probably hasn't been studied.  

I located one abstract that found that verapamil increases melatonin production in the body somewhat (~15%).  

In one lab study, melatonin does interact with verap and calcium channels, so large doses of M might theoretically increase the effects of verap.  Not sure if this is significant in people taking verap and a small melatonin dosage -  especially if they started off with a small dose of V and M, and stepped up the V until the headaches were controlled and/or cardiovascular symptoms appeared.  

Quote:
Biol Signals. 1997 Jul-Dec;6(4-6):284-90.  

Melatonin inhibits GnRH-induced Ca2+ mobilization and influx through voltage-regulated channels.

Slanar O, Zemkova H, Vanecek J.

Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Videnska, Prague.

In neonatal rat gonadotrophs, melatonin acts through the high-affinity membrane-bound receptors to inhibit GnRH-induced [Ca2+]i increase. GnRH increases [Ca2+]i primarily by mobilization from the inositol trisphosphate-sensitive pool followed by Ca2+ influx through the voltage-sensitive channels. Melatonin inhibits the GnRH-induced [Ca2+]i increase. When added after the GnRH-induced spike, melatonin decreases [Ca2+]i in 52% of the gonadotrophs. The effect of melatonin is dependent on extracellular Ca2+ and may be mimicked by Ca2+-free medium or verapamil. When added before GnRH, melatonin inhibits the [Ca2+]i spike. This effect of melatonin is independent of extracellular Ca2+ as it persists in Ca2+-free medium. These findings indicate that melatonin blocks Ca2+ mobilization as well as Ca2+ influx in the gonadotrophs.

One thing to consider is that most clusterheads have markedly depressed melatonin levels to start with, and a 15% increase in M from taking verapamil would still leave most of us with abnormally low melatonin.  

Time-released melatonin is less likely to interact with verapamil or any other drug as the dose is spread out over several hours.  

I'm guessing your doc is being generally cautious and not acting from specific info about melatonin/verap/clusters. But you may want to talk with him/her more.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2005, 9:51am by floridian » IP Logged
maureen
New Board Newbie
Scotland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 8:00pm »

Thanks eveyone for the info. I decided after a really long, bad night last night  to buy some melatonin. I don't think my dr wants to step up  the dosage of verapimil because my b/p is low already and is worried it could be dangerous to up the dose. in comparison to befor the verapimil my CH attacks cut probably in half so I'm ok with that. I have to see the dr next week not leaving until I get something for back up that is made for CH and not T3 I'm thinking the long night was from rebounds. THANK GOD for o2 just started using it and it's a life saver I had to find out how to get it and where then talk the dr into giving me a perscription for it. Joys of living in a small town with limited dr but I do have a appt with a neuro/ headache dr coming up. Thanks agian I would rather get info here than my dr this site unfortunaly knows more about CH than him.  

Maureen
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 1:36am »

As far as I can find, Melatonin has no LD-50. You can eat a bucketfull, and wind up with nothing worse than gas, according to the medicos. On the other hand, if it is a CH weapon, then minor doses may have major inteactions when used in cocktail form. If only a well funded corp would pay to guinea pig some of us for long term results.

Yeah. Right....
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss