Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 4:17am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « sunlight therapy »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   sunlight therapy
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: sunlight therapy  (Read 422 times)
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

sunlight therapy
« on: Jan 13th, 2005, 2:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone experimented with sunlight as a therapy?  It's well known that to counteract jet lag it's good to go out into bright sunlight at noon for about an hour a day.  That quickly resets your body clock.  Since CHs seem to be due to a circadian rhythm malfunction something along these lines might be helpful.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: sunlight therapy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 2:33pm »

Sunlight is a trigger for me I'm afraid...I live in the sunbelt and have to use really dark sunglasses and hats to keep it out of my eye. Sad
Interesting thought though......hmmmm.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 2:47pm »

A few years ago I tried to manipulate how much sun I got (more in the winter, less in the summer).  I also kept a regular light/dark cycle (I used fluorescent lights, but not full spectrum).. I did that for about a year with no noticable improvement.  

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 2:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've got a strong seasonal episodic pattern - always in summer.  I think I need more darkness (and less heat) in the summer.   As Ueli would say, I have a classic yin deficiency.   Wink
IP Logged
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 4:08pm »

Hey floridian,  

That reminds me of why I tried the light therapy.  I went to Daytona Beach while in cycle.  When I came back home my cycle ended within a few days, weeks ahead of schedule.   I thought it was all the sunlight I got on the beach, but maybe it was getting out of the Florida sun.  

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 5:02pm »

Sunlight (or any glaring light) can be a trigger for me.

I like it dark  Cool  thank you

Unsolved
IP Logged
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 6:17pm »

on Jan 13th, 2005, 5:02pm, unsolved1 wrote:
Sunlight (or any glaring light) can be a trigger for me.

I like it dark  Cool  thank you

Unsolved

Same here
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2005, 6:18pm by IndianaJohn » IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 6:31pm »

Sunlight:

a) increases vitamin D
b) lowers some parts of the immune system
c) depresses melatonin (based on hours, not intensity)
d) other _________.  

A is an interesting possibility.  A quick search reveals anecdotal evidence that vitamin D and calcium might be able to break a migraine cycle:  

Quote:
Headache. 1994 Nov-Dec;34(10):590-2.  

Alleviation of migraines with therapeutic vitamin D and calcium.

Thys-Jacobs S.  Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY 10029.

Two postmenopausal migraineurs who developed frequent and excruciating migraine headaches (one following estrogen replacement therapy and the other following a stroke) were treated with combination vitamin D and calcium. Therapeutic replacement with vitamin D and calcium resulted in a dramatic reduction in the frequency and duration of their migraine headaches.

Headache. 1994 Oct;34(9):544-6.

Vitamin D and calcium in menstrual migraine.

Thys-Jacobs S.

Two premenopausal women with a history of menstrually-related migraines and premenstrual syndrome were treated with a combination of vitamin D and elemental calcium for late luteal phase symptoms. Both cited a major reduction in their headache attacks as well as premenstrual symptomatology within 2 months of therapy. These observations suggest that vitamin D and calcium therapy should be considered in the treatment of migraine headaches.

Vitamin D is also a big player in the calcium/calcitonin/CGRP mechanisms.    Maybe after a few days or weeks at the beach, the vitamin D from sun downregulated your ability to release CGRP?  There is evidence that calcipotriol (the most active form of Vitamin D) reduces calcitonin - maybe that vitamin/hormone can also reduce CGRP release, or the response of cells to CGRP?  Hmm... wish I knew.  

Note: I have seen some warnings for verapamil - vitamin D and calcium may theoretically lower its effectiveness by changing the calcium/calcium channel situation.  Worth considering if you are taking Verapamil.  On the other hand, just yesterday I was reading about vitamin D in newsweek - one prominent researcher whos been working on D for 30 years believes that the FDA's RDA should be ten times higher!    

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2005, 6:39pm by floridian » IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 8:57pm »

I don't know were to place yin and yang on the calendar, floridian please enlighten me Wink.

However, it turns out more and more, the frequency and intensity of my attacks are much lighter during ascending sun than during descending.

I started 2004 with one and a half tanks full of oxygen, having stockpiled for fear of shortage over the holidays. But that supply lasted until end of June. During the 2nd half of 2004 my oxygen consumption was very much lager, a tank lasted only for 6 - 10 days. Since the recent solstice I'm doing much better again and I have used less than half a tank of oxygen.

-----

I know of a guy who sits every day for an hour besides a high intensity, full spectrum light. He swears that his chronic CH and CPH have eased up a lot and are much better treatable. But then, who knows.... During the same time he has taken shrooms and stopped smoking.

PFNADs, Ueli                 smokin
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 10:23am »

on Jan 13th, 2005, 8:57pm, Ueli wrote:
I don't know were to place yin and yang on the calendar, floridian please enlighten me Wink.

PFNADs, Ueli       smokin

Well, I'm not an expert on Asian medical philosophy, but my understanding is that the pictograph for yin is the dark side of a mountain.  Yin is associated with night, Yang with day; Yin with winter, Yang with summer.  So in broadest terms, people who get hit only in summer might be said to have a surplus of yang or a yin deficiency.    

Sometimes the metaphor corresponds directly to western biology - for example, inflammation, heat and fire are seen as yang, while the yin herbs are cooling or contain compounds that have anti-inflammatory action, or are high in anti-oxidants, etc.  http://tinyurl.com/5dw6h

The metaphors (or synthetic variables) become increasingly complicated as they describe more complex phenomena.  Not sure how to account for someone like me that gets hit primarily at night (a yin time) during summer (a yang season), but late in summer when the daylength is decreasing (yin).   There are a variety of patterns for migraine with unusual names - heat in the blood, liver wind-fire, etc.  Sounds totally weird to the western mind,  and likely to perplex someone if they think it is literally an issue of having a liver problem.  But the herbs are given properties that correspond to treating these 'patterns' or syndromes, and  thus it does embody knowledge, even if the language or logic patterns make little sense from the outside.  

But what about sunshine and vitamin D?
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2005, 10:31am by floridian » IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 1:44pm »

Ok, more on vitamin D and circadian rhythms.  The part of the hypothalamus that seems especially important for clock functions (the SCN) has a core with cells that contain a protein called calbindin. (first abstract).   I came across 1233 articles that suggest that vitamin D can affect calbindin metabolism - generally increasing its expression in the kidneys, brain, etc.  The second article suggests that a low phosphate/high calcium + D diet can upregulate calbindin, atleast in rats.  I remember somebody here insisting that phosphate was the 'cause' of clusters.  Maybe too simple, but could be partially true nonetheless. JMorgan's detox diet is also low phosphate.  Interesting.  

Quote:
Eur J Neurosci. 2004 Apr;19(7):1741-8.  

Temporal and spatial expression patterns of canonical clock genes and clock-controlled genes in the suprachiasmatic nucleus.

Hamada T, Antle MC, Silver R.  Department of Psychology, Columbia University, 1190 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10027, USA.

In mammals, the suprachiasmatic nuclei (SCN) of the hypothalamus control endogenous circadian rhythms and entrainment to the environment. A core SCN region of calbindin (CalB)-containing cells is retinorecipient and the cells therein lack rhythmic expression of clock genes and electrical activity. The core is surrounded by a 'shell' of rhythmic oscillator cells. In the present experiments, we studied the spatial arrangement of oscillator cells by examining the spatial and temporal patterns of expression of the canonical clock genes Per1, Per2 and vasopressin mRNA, a clock-controlled gene. Surprisingly, in the SCN shell, the dorsomedial cells were the first to rhythmically express both Per1 and VP mRNA, with gene expression then spreading very slowly through much of the nucleus for the next 12 h then receding to baseline levels. Following a light pulse, Per expression increased after 1 h in the core SCN and after 1.5 h in the shell. Although expression in the shell occurred earlier in light-pulsed animals than in those housed in constant darkness, it still followed the same spatial and temporal expression pattern as was observed in constant darkness. The results suggest that not only is the SCN organized into light-responsive and rhythmic regions but also that the rhythmic region of the SCN itself has an ordered arrangement of SCN oscillator cells.

Quote:
Mol Endocrinol. 1988 Oct;2(10):928-35.  

Modulation of rat calbindin-D28 gene expression by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and dietary alteration.

Huang YC, Christakos S.

Department of Biochemistry, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, Newark.

We have used a specific cDNA to the mammalian 28,000 Mr vitamin D-dependent calcium binding protein (calbindin-D28k) to study the regulation of the expression of this mRNA in rat kidney and brain. The effects of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (1,25-(OH)2D3) and dietary alteration on genomic expression were characterized by both Northern and slot blot analysis. Administration of 1,25-(OH)2D3 for 7 days (25 ng/day) to vitamin D-deficient rats resulted in a marked increase in renal calbindin-DmRNA, renal calbindin, and serum calcium. When vitamin D-deficient rats were supplemented for 10 days with calcium (3% calcium gluconate in the water, 2% calcium in the diet) serum calcium levels were similar to the levels observed in the 1,25-(OH)2D3-treated rats. However, in the calcium-supplemented rats the levels of renal calbindin and renal calbindin mRNA were similar to the levels observed in the vitamin D-deficient rats, suggesting that calcium alone without vitamin D does not regulate renal calbindin gene expression in vivo. In dietary alteration studies in vitamin D-replete rats, renal calbindin protein and mRNA increased 2.5-fold in rats fed diets low in phosphate providing evidence that in the rat the nutritional induction of calbindin is accompanied by a corresponding alteration in the concentration of its specific mRNA. Under low dietary calcium conditions, the levels of renal calbindin protein and mRNA were similar to the levels observed in control rats, although 1,25-(OH)2D3 serum levels were markedly elevated, suggesting that factors in addition to 1,25-(OH)2D3 can modulate renal calbindin gene expression.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2005, 4:34pm by floridian » IP Logged
laguna
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 4th, 2005, 8:39pm »

Vitamin D helps absorption of magnesium, which has rid me of my clusters.
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 4th, 2005, 9:12pm »

on Mar 4th, 2005, 8:39pm, laguna wrote:
Vitamin D helps absorption of magnesium, which has rid me of my clusters.

Roll Eyes
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Mar 4th, 2005, 11:53pm »

I can't back this up, but I used to have a friend that liked to take walks early as the sun came up----he said, it increased lithium in his body.  Sophie Smiley
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
AND WHY AM I IN THIS HANDBASKET?

Cluster Buster
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Mar 4th, 2005, 11:57pm »

As far as yin and yang go-----I was always under the impression you could not tell where one began and the other ended. Sophie Smiley
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
AND WHY AM I IN THIS HANDBASKET?

Cluster Buster
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #15 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 6:43am »

Sunlight can trigger my HAs, too... Sad
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss