Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 11:43pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Chedden's Lithium "Pulsing" »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Chedden's Lithium "Pulsing"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chedden's Lithium "Pulsing"  (Read 1580 times)
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Chedden's Lithium "Pulsing"
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 7:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Chedden,
Lighten up  
Calling a sufferer a liar is not exactly the best way to get your point accross.
Even I had a hard time getting past your opening.
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #26 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 8:24am »

on Jan 21st, 2005, 12:33am, Gena wrote:
guesst, posing as Gena.

Cross dresser.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Chet
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #27 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 10:35am »

Gena: No, I'm not assuming that at all.

Karma: Oh. Ok. "Pompous arse" is okay, though. Actually, I didn't call him a liar. I simply stated my disbelief that a doctor would have made such a dosing recommendation.

I'm sure that if true, he would be more than willing to send me contact information for his doctor so that I can (1) verify the veracity of the statement (critical for my research) and (2) discuss with her/him the basis for such and extraordinary dosing recommendation.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #28 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 10:42am »

Lips Sealed
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Chet
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #29 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 11:50am »

Listen. Some readers of these discussions apparently have a problem with the way I express or have expressed myself in offering information that can help with blocking cluster headaches. If so, please be my guest -- take my words and recast or rewrite them in some way that is more acceptable. I have been as straightforward and clear as I am capable and I simply have no idea what the problem is. Do that and please stop whining!
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #30 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 12:00pm »

focussing on the positive again here...

two more pain free nights for Mike - that's a total of twelve consecutive nights now.  He's getting a hit when he's waking up in the morning now, so we may have to have him take his evening dose a bit later.  He's blowing that one away with Imitrex, just so he can get up and go to work.  A couple of shadows at night but oxygen is taking care of those.  TWELVE pain free nights because of pulsing lithium.  That's HUGE.  

And, Chet - not to worry - your teachings here ARE helping people, whether you realize it or not.  As of yesterday, we've introduced this theory to three neuros (Dr. Diamond and Mike's 2 neuros that he saw  yesterday) - the word is getting out there, despite the negativity displayed in this thread.  We all know that there is no cure for clusters and we also all recognize that you're not saying this IS a cure.  There will always be folks, however, who like to see their names on posts and feel the need to respond to every post possible here, even if it is to add a graphic and no text.  Such is life on the internet, right?  

Know that you ARE doing good, Chet - don't worry about people panicking about semantics.  
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2005, 12:02pm by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #31 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 12:24pm »

on Jan 21st, 2005, 11:50am, chedden wrote:
Listen. Some readers of these discussions apparently have a problem with the way I express or have expressed myself in offering information that can help with blocking cluster headaches. If so, please be my guest -- take my words and recast or rewrite them in some way that is more acceptable. I have been as straightforward and clear as I am capable and I simply have no idea what the problem is. Do that and please stop whining!

How about "I'm sorry that the way I express myself has caused problems." People eat that stuff up.

Seriously though, telling what has worked for you is much appreciated. You just come off a little strong. I hope you're not discouraged from participating here. I think your technique may help more people.

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
don

Email

« Reply #32 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 7:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Lips Sealed

NEWSFLASH. Just in from CNN. The devil himself has been seen purchasing snowshoes at LL Bean.
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #33 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 10:54pm »

on Jan 20th, 2005, 10:18am, Margi wrote:
As Unsolved says here about Dr. Diamond's comments "yes, this can be an effective treatment for some  [you mean not all? hmmmm] "  - why can't we just leave it at that and rejoice that TWO clusterheads have found some pain freedom?

And why can't someone comment that they are different without getting the grand slam.  A stranger walks in the door and everyone that is not like him has migraines or some other disease?  He insults and demeans your friends and you ignore it.  When someone gets a little out of sorts with him, you are his #1 defender.  Thanks. Wink

I read that thread.  Everyone that initially responded commented that they were happy it was working for him.  When they dared say anything contrary to the pompous ba$tard, HE not they went on the offensive.  It was only after HE drew first blood that the gloves came off.  If he hadn't come off like some king $hit know-it-all, I believe more people would have warmed up to him and and what he had to say.

I am pleased as hell for him and Mike and anyone else that tries it and gets relief out of it.  Every clusterhead and every supporter deserves it.  My main commentary was about his attitude, not his method.  I guess differing opinions are not allowed in the mighty chedden's threads.

Quote:
Posted by: chedden Posted on: 01/20/05 at 23:29:11  
This is a reply to Gator's obnoxious message in which he says he's tried 300MG 30 minutes before sleep.  

First, I don't believe that. But, if true, despite his assertion to the contrary, that is not evidence that lithium pulsing would not work for him. There are other things he could have tried. For example, he could have increased the dose -- say 600MB before sleep. Or he could have tried it at different times -- say 12p.m. if his most painful or most reliable attack came at 2p.m. There are other possibilities as well. It all depends on outwitting the "beast." To do that, you need to time your doses to match your headache schedule.  

And here's one for you, butthead:  My neuro always started new meds with doses just before bedtime so if there were any ill effect, his patients wouldn't have to suffer through the ch and the side effects while trying to work.  If there were no ill effects to that dose, he would then schedule extra doses if and as necessary.  Makes sense to me.  It might make sense to you if you'd pull your head out so you could breath some fresh air.  I couldn't care less if you believe me or not.  Believe it or not I don't live for your acceptance or praise.  I've lived 42 years without it.  I don't think I'll wither away without it now.

Quote:
Posted by: chedden Posted on: Today at 09:35:03  
Gena: No, I'm not assuming that at all.  [Noooo.  You're just saying that anyone that disagrees is wrong.  What's the difference?]

Karma: Oh. Ok. "Pompous arse" is okay, though. [Truth hurts] Actually, I didn't call him a liar. I simply stated my disbelief [aka called me a liar] that a doctor would have made such a dosing recommendation.  

I'm sure that if true, he would be more than willing to send me contact information for his doctor so that I can (1) verify the veracity of the statement (critical for my research) and (2) discuss with her/him the basis for such and extraordinary dosing recommendation.  

You have a hard time believing that the #1 go to man in the state for cluster headaches would know something about dosing meds for CH.  Whatever.  I told you ealier in this reply how he prescribed new meds.  I hope you can get past your own ego and find it.  Very few people can get a rise out of me like you have.  You have insulted my friends and questioned my integrity.  Fuck your research and while you're at it, fuck you as*hole.  

Quote:
Posted by: chedden Posted on: Today at 10:50:16  

Here it is again.  "Screw you all.  I have no intention of changing the way I speak down to you.  Stop whining and believe.  Chet has spoken, damnit."  

You know-it-all, better-than-thou types really get me.  So much smarter than everyone else, but you can't even make it through a thread where you are trying to give people good news without stepping stomping on their toes.  Get a clue.

Gator
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #34 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:48am »

on Jan 20th, 2005, 12:02am, Mr. Happy wrote:
Glad I don't have to do light metals,
RJ

I followed the original thread and continued here in agreement with many points made by Ched.  Using a different prevent, I've found success this time while "pulsing" before the hit times as I increased to an effective level; again in agreement.  

I'm not too familiar with the relationship of lithium and circadian timing, but lith has been used as the active ingredient of many anti-depressant medications, perhaps for that reason of stabilizing.  I am challenged when it comes to medical knowledge.  
  Some comments toward others by Ched I felt were unnecessary, there is a long history with lack of preventive success for many, that deserves understanding, and doubts are to be expected.  It is not new that things can get a bit ugly when someone's self practiced methods which work, are being scrutinized when the ramification of possible somewhat universal results are perceived by the discussion.  Better effectiveness and viable help for some, seem to be very possible though.  That in itself makes Ched's post most contributory.  
  Aside from that, reiterating; displaying what seemed perhaps a bit of a shortcoming of experience at attentive handling when a quick embracing by all wasn't realized within the expended time of divulging, appeared a bit unempathic.  I understand having confidence in what you are saying, but the attempts at poignant intimidating wit for a negative expression was not impressive.  I would hate for it to be included in the impression of what you had to say.  
  Thank you Ched for the many points I have found agreement with, there has been adequate acknowledgement in a positive manner for your words, and acceptance for what you had to say.  

RJ, you're a few protons short but take that Farah Fawcett poster and hang it somewhere else instead of covering up that periodic table.   Grin

*sp
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2005, 3:52pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #35 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 8:23am »

I had to read that last post twice to distill your point, but in the end, "well put."
IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #36 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 8:47am »

on Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:48am, Kevin_M wrote:
Using a different prevent, I've found success this time while "pulsing" before the hit times

This is what I was thinking. It is probably not unique to lithium. If you have a predictable headache schedule, it makes sense to have the highest serum levels of any preventative drug when those hits are expected. As far as knocking out a "key" headache and rest follow? I wouldn't have thought so, but maybe...

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #37 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:48am »

And I can't get my doc to subscribe me lithium... Lucky you... Wink
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #38 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 9:57am »

on Jan 21st, 2005, 10:54pm, Gator wrote:

And why can't someone comment that they are different without getting the grand slam.  A stranger walks in the door and everyone that is not like him has migraines or some other disease?  He insults and demeans your friends and you ignore it.  When someone gets a little out of sorts with him, you are his #1 defender.  Thanks. Wink
Gator, first of all, I do apologize that your feelings are hurt by what I said - I've always admired and respected your contributions here and I'm very sorry that my words offended you.  Certainly not my intention. I honestly don't buy into the mob mentality that can happen when one person says something the wrong way, though, and I don't plan on doing so anytime soon.   Sad    

I read that thread.  Everyone that initially responded commented that they were happy it was working for him.  When they dared say anything contrary to the pompous ba$tard, HE not they went on the offensive.  It was only after HE drew first blood that the gloves came off.  If he hadn't come off like some king $hit know-it-all, I believe more people would have warmed up to him and and what he had to say.

I agree that Chet took the offensive, Gator - just like everyone else has a tendency to do at times - we are people in pain here, such is life.  I'm not responsible for what anyone else says.  I guess sometimes we all just kinda hafta sift through the silt to find the gold, right?  

I am pleased as hell for him and Mike and anyone else that tries it and gets relief out of it.  Every clusterhead and every supporter deserves it.  My main commentary was about his attitude, not his method.  I guess differing opinions are not allowed in the mighty chedden's threads.  

C'mon, Gator - you know I don't know Chet from a hill of beans, but maybe, just maybe, his idea might help more than just two clusterheads.  For what it's worth?  Mike's having breakthroughs again now but the lithium is definitely keeping everything down to a dull roar.  If anyone, and I mean anyone, came to this board and suggested that sticking matchsticks under the toenails relieved cluster pain and experiments proved that out - yeah, I'd stick up for them too.  Warts and all.  

Again, I apologize for offending anyone on this topic.  Sorry, Gator, I wasn't around on the weekend to see your post.  
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2005, 10:01am by Margi » IP Logged

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #39 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 12:14pm »

It's all good Margi.  I've been going through yet another rough patch, so I was probably over sensitive.  I know you are not a follow the crowd type.  Neither am I, though I do admit to having my share of fun with snake oil salesmen.  I have at times been the first and sometimes only person to stand up and defend a new member.  

Chedden's method seems to make a lot of sense.  I think he needs to present his method to the big dogs so they can study it.  Like I said, I am happy it works for some people.  You and I both know that nothing works for everyone, though.  I wish something - anything would work on me.  Docs say my liver metabolizes meds so quickly that not only do I not get side effects, I don't get the medicinal effects of most meds.  c'est la vie  I am definitely not happy that Mike is starting to have any breakthroughs.  I'd rather be wrong, than for someone to get hit.

You are right about trying almost anything to ease the pain.  A lot of people tried a lot of crazy things before coming here and finding some real answers.  That is what this place is good for - it gives information and support, debunks myths, separates bogus cures from effective ones and it attempts (however brashly and sometimes wrongly) to protect it's members from yet another bogus treatment or snakeoil vendor with a testamonial and a cure.  Overall, I'd say that's a good thing.

I'm glad you and Mike are getting some much deserved breaks.  I hope it continues to improve.  

Onward and upward.

Gator
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #40 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 12:45pm »

Thanks, Gator.  Aw, dammit - ya wanna just hug it out?  Smiley

Sorry to hear that you've got a fast liver.  Normally, that would be a good thing, but not in the world of trying to absorb meds I guess.  

I so desparately wish we could find that universal preventative/abortive/CURE.  Until then though - leave no stones unturned, right?

Again, thanks Mike.  (I know you're a good guy with a name like that!  Smiley)

IP Logged

source unknown

Chet
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #41 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 2:21pm »

Question for you, Gator:

If I had yelled obscenities at you would that have made you less pompous?
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #42 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 2:28pm »

BZZZZT
 referee
(yellow flag thrown)
5 yard penalty for poor response....
 Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2005, 3:11pm by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #43 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 2:38pm »

on Jan 24th, 2005, 2:21pm, chedden wrote:
Question for you, Gator:

If I had yelled obscenities at you would that have made you less pompous?

Chedden,

I was apologizing to Margi, not you.  Anything else you and I have to say to each other can be taken to IM.  Further public bantering back and forth will only serve to dilute your message, which despite it's delivery is one that needs to be heard.

Gator
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #44 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 3:23pm »

thumbsup
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Chet
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #45 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 3:34pm »

Then you prefer the obscenity approach to the polite, courteous, and respectful one?
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #46 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 3:40pm »

Lips Sealed  Know what that means?  It means...I have nothing positive to say, so I'm going to hold my tongue and not say anything. You ought to try that sometime.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #47 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 3:45pm »

ANYWAY... Roll Eyes

Chet, not sure if you saw my post but Mike's been getting some breakthroughs over the weekend.  Of course, we do know that weekends are rougher because he's relaxed and that's always been a trigger for him.

The double edge of this sword is that he's aborting the attacks with imitrex spray - so I'm not sure if he's causing more attacks by using the imitrex or if the lithium dose needs to be changed.  Hits seem to be coming about every 4 hours and still, nothing anywhere near enough to a 10 on the pain scale.  Still sleeping fairly well through the nights, one woke him up at 4 a.m. on Sunday - that's the only time in the last few days.

Your thoughts?  Just wondering if you've experienced stuff like this when you've done this pulsing.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2005, 3:46pm by Margi » IP Logged

source unknown

Chet
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #48 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 3:46pm »

It's unfortunate that some readers of Gator's blather may be discouraged from trying something that may actually work for them. Those who throw stones should not live in glass houses.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #49 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 3:47pm »

I hate that this thread keeps taking this turn.  Chet, Gator's a really nice guy.  And, so are you.

So, could you read my post above yours and tell me what you think?

Thanks very much, Chet.
IP Logged

source unknown

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss