Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:29pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « -Aborting with O2- »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   -Aborting with O2-
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: -Aborting with O2-  (Read 459 times)
euphoricdream
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

-Aborting with O2-
« on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 1:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've tried oxygen many many times over the years and every time I get the same results.
This is what happens when I use o2. Anyone else ever get this?

I feel a ch coming. I grab the o2 tank and tune it to about 8 or 10 on the regulator. I breathe the o2 for about 5 to 15 minutes and poof the cluster is gone/aborted only to return about 20 to 30 minutes later. The headache that I get after using o2 is ALWAYS more intense than my "normal" ch's and seems to stick around for hours.
This is a very consistent trait of my use with o2.  
Anyone else??

IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

Re: -Aborting with O2-
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 6:34pm »

The thing that happens to me most ofter is when I take the first few deep breaths of O2 the pain seems to spike, but then settles back down and is eventually aborted.

Have you tried 15 lpm through a non-rebreathing mask (one with the bag on it)?  This is what is recommended here the most.  Continue to use it for about 5 minutes after the pain is aborted, up to a total of 20 minutes.  If the pain isn't gone in 15 - 20 minutes, the oxygen ain't gonna cut it.

Good luck.

Gator
IP Logged
cat14

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 6:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

02 only pushs mine back, I don't know why. I have the right mask and 15lmp, but it still just seems to slow it down. I never did get it?????
IP Logged
euphoricdream
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:25pm »

Gator,
Yes I use a non-rebreathing mask and usually do about 10/L min for 15/20 minutes (sometimes 15/L). It always aborts the headache but only for about 20/30 minutes. Then the headache returns with a vengence and stays for a FEW HOURS!!
Cat14 has it right on...it pushes mine back.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 8:20am »

In the love affair with oxygen we have lost sight of reactions which you describe. Medical literature, some of which was posted, noted this partial response or quick return of the cluster.

Imitrex injection is, I think, the exception to what you read here: No one med/treatment has become the gold standard. Either a med doesn't work or works for a time and stops being effective. I've yet to see a good medical explanation for this pattern.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 9:30am »

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones - O2 when administered right at onset @ 10 L/M to 15 L/M with non-rebreather mask aborts my HAs with no rebound or return until next time HA returns, depending on what my cycle or schedule is at the time, ie., every 3 hours, etc. If I wait too long after onset or can't get to the O2 in time, then I'll get no relief and the Imitrex shots are used.  May I make a suggestion, check the discs or "check valves" on the mask, ie., the two near the nostril portion of the mask, these should only allow exhaled air to escape and not allow air back in during inhale. The disc "check valve" for the bag should close completely upon exhale to only allow pure oxygen to fill bag for your next inhale. I had a slight problem with these in the begining that allowed me to rebreathe my exhaled air. After changing masks, the results were as they should be.  

Not sure of course if this is whats happening here but worth a check. Check some of the other posts on O2, one or two other individuals stated they would tape the nostril openings shut to eliminate this rebreathing problem and would simply lift mask to expel exhale and the press mask back onto face tightly for their inhale of pure O2.

Of course, this may not be your problem, but worth a check.

Hope this may help you.  

EDIT NOTE 3:38 P.M. - The reason I brought this issue up is I seemed to get enough O2 in the begining to temporarily abort the cluster but it would come back on me in about the same time - 15 to 20 minutes. Seems that once I was able to saturate my blood stream with even more oxygen, the brain picked up on this and really sent the signal to constrict my vessels or to limit the amount of O2 in my system to the point the cluster was aborted for longer periods.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2005, 3:46pm by Chillrmn1 » IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 1:40pm »

Due to a heart attack back in June my doc said it would be un-wise to take Imitrex or any other drugs in this family.After reading about 02 on this site I suggested it to him and had a scrip written to have insurance help with cost.Since I'm chronic I use the 02 every day about the same time my CH start to kick my ass.95% of the time it (the 02)usually helps within 10 min.My docs directed rate is 15 ltrs./per 15 min.I take no other aboratives other than the 02.I know as Bob_Johnson said,there is no "Gold Standard" for all of us,but for me I still have to deal with CH but the 02 helps me thru them.I use a non-breather mask and there are days that I have used it as many as 6 times.Good luck TongueDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
WherzRoony

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 11:34am »

O2 was the Key for Me, I never had it cause anything but the headaches to go away!

maybe your just using it wrong

Don't mess around with the LPM medical regulators or medical grade oxygen for that matter, The stuff at the welding supply shop is just as pure!

Go down to Home Depot and buy an oxy/acetylene torch setup and get the O2 bottle filled.  Rig up a hose and valve assembly to the regulator.  Then take full deep breaths of 100% straight oxygen.  Hold it in and then take several normal breaths of air.  Repeat the 100% oxygen hits about 5 times and the CH is gone.

They say the 100% O2 causes medical problems but the reward outweighed the risk involved.  I never had any problems from using O2 this way.

See my other seperate post and feel free to email with any questions!
IP Logged
euphoricdream
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 3:11am »

toolong,
Man oh man I can't imagine being chronic! How long have you been chronic and were you ever episodic?  
I have found mine to be much more bare able since I quit smoking cigs in 98. They are still VERY VERY painful but nothing like the cycles I used to get prior to 98. This is my first cycle in over 2 years. After the first few months of being pain free you forget how vicious and brutal these headaches can be. I hope that you may one day go episodic (cause we all know this beast isn't gonna go away completely).

WherzRoony,
I'm pretty sure that I'm using it correctly. I've had constant access to medical oxygen for years (have full tanks in my closet when not in cycles) as my father gets them from the VA at no cost. I have about 10 non-rebreather masks to so I don't need to bother with that home depot set-up. I think it just doesn't work for some people...glad to hear it works for you!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss