Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 6:08pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Melatonin question..... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Melatonin question.....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Melatonin question.....  (Read 503 times)
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

Melatonin question.....
« on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Will people here please talk about your experience with melatonin?  The verapimil doesnt seem to be helping me and I always get a CH right after I fall asleep.  I have heard people say that the melatonin could help me.
Does melatonin come OTC?  I have heard that typically is comes in 300mcg pills, but most of the information I have read says to take 9mg.  DO you have to get a script to get such potent melatonin?

Because of my work, I need to wake up at 5:30 in the AM and hit the road at 6:20.  Other sleep aids I have taken, Ambien, Restoril, Trazedone, make it almost impossible for me to wake up in the morning and I am so groggy I feel as if I am drunk.  Would the melatonin have the same effects?  
Thanks for the help and PF wishes to all
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

Re: Melatonin question.....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:30pm »

You can get melatonin OTC in 3mg pills.  Check the vitamins section of your pharmacy or grocery store.   I got a giant bottle of 300 x 3mg pills at Sam's Club.
IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:36pm »

OK...this is a good topic, and of course YMMV.

I take 6mg of melatonin and two tylenol PM's (for the benadryl) each night one hour before bed to stave of the night attacks.  Tried the melatonin alone to no avail, and the PM's were added as a fluke because my back was killing me one night.  

I too wake at 5:15 am, and out the door by 7am.  I do feel very groggy almost hung over in the morning but that is prefered over the 1-2 night attacks and no sleep.  I down a couple strong cups of coffee each morning and that clears my head up and wakes me up.

Does nothing for the day time attacks for me, but having had some sleep I have the energy to fight during the day attacks.  

Some take up to 9mg of the mel.  some 12 or more depending.  Everyone reactes differently just like with any meds.

Both Melatonin and Tylenol PM is OTC and the Melatonin can be found in the herbal and natural section of any walmart or kmart.

Good luck it's worth a shot.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:45pm »

Man, I hear that!!  If I could just sleep at night, half of my problems would be solved.  I only get hit by daytime attacks once per week, so solving the nighttime attacks and finally getting some sleep would be SWEEEEEEEEET!!
I'm gonna go get some Melatonin today.  And what other names besides Tylenol PM have benadryl?  When I take pain pills, IE Tylenol, I get rebound headaches pretty badly.  Even when I get a regular headache or if I hurt myself, I still dont take any pain pills.
Thanks and PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:53pm »

you can get straight benadryl too.....it's by that same name in the OTC section, or there is generic right on the shelf next to it cheaper.  

I use the generic of the tylenol PM.  It's what I had here, and I have arthritis in my spine from injurys over the years.  I'm not getting rebounds..so if it aint broke right now I'm not gonna worry.  It's working for me to get uninterupted sleep...so I'm NOT changing till it doesn't work anymore.

If you feel hung over in the am's from the melatonin or the combo...try setting your alarm a little early and hit the sack eralier too.  that way you have time to get the strong coffee in you.

« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:53pm by Redd » IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 1:06pm »

This is something that has given me back my nights. I take 6-9mg. about 30-45 minuites prior to going to bed.It helps many of us wipe out the visits form the beast during our sleep and if we are rested then we are atleast better able to function or fight during the day!! I can honestly say that despite remaining in cycle I have only had about 5-6 major hits in the middle of the night since August. I can now sleep. That in itself will make anyone feel "better"

I also set the clock way earlier than I need to get out of the house....a head start is still needed 4 me but it helps.

Good luck
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 7:55pm »

Well, I did it!!  I purchases the 3mg melatonin pills and a generic thing for the dyphenhydramine, the active ingredient in Tylenol PM and Benadryl.
BUT, the box says do not take more than 1 pill per day.  According to what yous guys say, I have to take 3 or 4 pills?  You are sure that is ok?
THANKS buttloads
PF wishes to all and long sleep for me!
BMonee
IP Logged

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 8:32pm »

Hi BMonee,

You are a clusterhead, so regular directions do not apply.  OK?

Start out by taking 6mg (2 pills) of Melatonin and 25mg (1 pill) of the benedryl for a couple of nights.  See how that affects you.  If still no relief, increase the Melatonin to 9mg (3 pills) per night.  You can also increase the Benedryl, but be prepared for the morning "hangover" - just harder to get going type.

The important thing is - you really can't O.D. on Melatonin.  It's an all-natural thing that's already in your body.  

I keep the Benedryl to 25 - 50mg/night because it really gives me a hangover.  Melatonin doesn't so much.

We're all different, so you'll probably have to experiment a little.  Give it a try  and let us know how it goes for you.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 8:32pm »

Melatonin you can take safely....

I am not sure about diphenhydramine......you know your own body and I'm not a doctor so be be careful!!!!

Wishing you the best and make sure that either of the stuff doesn't interact with any other meds that you are on if any.

Best to ya!

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 9:50pm »

Melatonin doesn't work for everyone.  From what I have been told, it doesn't work as well on chronics, which might explain why it didn't work for me.  

I bought a bottle of 100 1mg tabs.  I started at 1mg then 3mg - 6mg - 9mg and finally 12mg.  Took eack dose for 3 nights and upped it on the 4th night.  Not only did it not work, but I started having more hits at night.  No more melatonin for me.

Good luck and PFDAN,

Gator
IP Logged
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 6th, 2005, 8:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I bought some Melatonin today to try that avenue.  The verapamil seems to be working for me as I woke this morning with the faintest of signal the beast could be on the horizon.  Yesterday a.m. was an entirely different matter --- the beast ranted and raved in my head for 3+ hours.  A dose of trex quieted it down; however, would NOT get rid of it entirely --- ended up taking Excedrine Migrane to finish the job ... <did my stomach ever pay the price for that>  hurl  

(sorry that was gross) -- Such is the life of a Cluster Head, damned if you do, damned if you don't ...  

In terms of Benadryl -- I was taking about 75mg every night forever.  It is non-addictive (that is good).  Sometimes got a Benadryl hangover ...

Since I'm an Episodic CH .. I've always been kind of afraid to take too much to make me sleep too deeply when I'm in my CH cycle ... speed is essential in stopping the beast before things get too bad and I'm always afraid if I take too much to make me sleep -- I won't wake in time to take quick enough action so the attack will be at least a little shorter ... <sigh> Undecided
IP Logged
Up2late
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 7:23am »

You should be sure not to give up on the melatonin too soon.  It didn't do much for me the first two weeks I took it but now four months later, I have gone from chronic to episodic (7 yrs chronic) and I rarely have a cluster that lasts more than 15-20 min.  No more 4 hour headbangin marathons.  

I have also found that just about any pain meds that I take, even if they don't help with the clusters, will give me rebound headaches.

good luck
IP Logged
SLanegan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I am an American Soldier!!!  Proud of what I do!!!

mastersergeantsean  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 7:01pm »

I have been taking Melatonin for about a week now, along with depakote.  Just started my cycle about a week and a half ago, so jsut now getting into the whole fricken cycle.

Anyways, before I was taking the Melatonin and Depakote before I went to bed (usually at least a 1/2 hour prior to hitting the sheets) I was getting hit hard around 2 - 3 AM.  Since taking the Melatonin and Depakote my night terrors have completely stopped.  However, as soon as I wake up I get a  headbanger.  I have to get up around 4:15 AM to get to physical training by 5:30 with my unit.  I hit myself with a little bit of trex and then hit the road.  

At least I got rid of the early AM hits, just have to deal with it when I get up.  I would like to think that the Melatonin and Depakote is helping with the terrors.  

Take care and PFDANs.

MasterSergeantSean
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss