Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 8:58pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Depakote »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Depakote
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Depakote  (Read 397 times)
pmbrtn
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Depakote
« on: Feb 8th, 2005, 11:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all!!  I am the wife of a cluster sufferer  (and head researcher!!!)  My husband's latest cluster started about 2 weeks ago.  Last March, a new doc came to town who specializes in headaches and we went to see him.  He diagnosed my husband with clusters and started him on Depakote, 125mg.  The dosage is one pill, 3 times a day for a week, 2 in the morning and 1 pill twice a day for a week, 2 in the morning 1 at noon and 2 in the evening for a week, then 2 pills three times a day.  The cluster broke in about 4 1/2 weeks.  That was last May and he has been pain free until 2 weeks ago, so we started all over again.  I also wanted to tell everyone about Maxalt.  It is a 10mg melt-away pill that works for my husband within 15-20 min.  He has had Imitrex and swears that the Maxalt is better.  But beware of insurance companies!!!!  When we first got this prescription, it took 6 weeks to get it approved.  I finally had to threaten the insurance company with daily ER visits, along with ambulance rides if he was at work, before they finally approved it.  Please let me know if anyone else has tried these treatments!!!  I am always looking for something faster and better when he gets in one of these cycles!!

Lisa and Don Pemberton
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

Re: Depakote
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 11:22pm »

I tried Depakote up to 1500mg.  Notta.  Never tried Maxalt.  Zomig Nasal Spray was a godsend.  Switched insurance companies and had to switch to imitrex.  Trex injections rock.  Relief in 10 minutes or less - usually.  

If you haven't done it, try O2.  It's cheap, effective and has few side effects.  1st weapon of choice for many clusterheads.

IP Logged
WifeofCHSuffer
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 11:10am »

My husband just stated this 500 mg 2xs a day.  He has had a lot of quizeness and he is still on Topomax on but at a lower dosage he is going to be off that crap in about 2 weeks.  It did nothing for his headaches and we are hoping the Depakote works.  

Did your husband have any side effects like this?  

I hate insurance companies and I wish they would be more aware of this awful headaches that people suffer through!  

The only thing he has found to stop the headaches in Relpax.  Nothing else has been prescribed to him since this the best for him to get rid of the beast!

Welcome to the group!

Cathy
IP Logged

Wife of CH sufferer. Supporter and mother of two children.
SLanegan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I am an American Soldier!!!  Proud of what I do!!!

mastersergeantsean  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 11:28am »

The only abortive med that works for me right now is the imitrex injections.  Only thing is you can only take it twice in a 2 hour period.  I usually get 4-6 headaches a day.  So for the rest of them right now I am just suffering through them.  I have O2 coming, my doc just scripted it on Tuesday.  Am still waiting on Thursday for it to arrive.  Alot of clusterheads here recommend it and I can wait to try it.

I saw my neuro yesterday and he started me on Prednisone, which is a corticosteriod, used as a transitional therapy, until my Depakote sets in as a Preventative therapy.  The Prednisone is only temporary thought, 50mg X 4 days, 40mg X 4 days, and so on till it is 10mg X 4 days and then I am done.  Meanwhile I am also taking the depakote, 500mg, one a day taken at night before I go to bed.  One last thing, he told me to go to Walmart and get a bottle (OTC) of Melatonin, 3mg.  Take three right before bed (total 9mg).  Melatonin is supposed to help you sleep better.

I have been in cycle for a week now, had been waking up every night with one to two attaches, kip7/8s.  Bad attacks.  Yesterday I took the prednisone in the morning, and before bed I took the depakote and the melatonin.  I woke up off and on all night, but, never had a kip7/8 attack.  I had all evening and through the night about a kip3, which is very manageable.  Don't know if the meds have already started to work, but, keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue this way.

Anyways, welcome to the site, sorry you and your husband found us, but glad you did.  If there is anything we can do just give us a hollar out.  Someone is always here night and day.

Many PFDANs for you and your husband!!!!

Master Sergeant Sean
IP Logged
sioux-z
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 5:00pm »

I have only had 2 cycles so far.  My first was 4 years ago and Prednisone and Verapamil worked great.  This cycle was much worse.  I tried two rounds of both Prednisone and Verapamil for a month with no relief.  I was using the Imitrex injections almost every day and fighting like crazy with the insurance company.  I found a new Neurologist who put me on Depakote and for me it was a miracle.  Within 2 days I was only shadowing and after increasing my dose a little they were completely gone within one week!  I have read a lot of responses on this board from people who have tried Depakote with no relief so I know it doesn't work for everybody but I hope it works for your husband!  

One note about Imitrex- if your husband has only tried the nasal spray or the pill form he should give the injections a try.  Neither the pill nor nasal spray had any effect on my CH's.  The injection ALWAYS knocked them out within a minute or two.  

Good luck!  Keep up the support!
IP Logged
pmbrtn
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 4:21pm »

Well, we had a neuro appt after I put on this posting.  He changed the Depakote to the 250mg Extended Release because my husband felt like the headaches were more severe (if that is imaginable) after the dosage increased.  He also started him on Prednisone, 60mg for  3 days, 40mg for 3 days, 20mg for 4 days and 10mg for 3 days.  He also went today and had an Occipital Nerve Block.  Has anyone ever had one of these?  The doc said that he did one on a guy and his cluster broke within 24 hours, so we are very hopeful!!!  It's pretty bad when sticking a needle into your head sounds better than another headache!!!  I'll keep you all up-to-date!!!  If the block works, this will be the shortest cycle he has had.
IP Logged
WifeofCHSuffer
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 11:55am »

Does your husband have an upset stomach while being on this? My husband is 500mg ER 2xs a day and feels sick to his stomach.  No hurling but just very upset stomach.  

So far so good, one week no headaches!
IP Logged

Wife of CH sufferer. Supporter and mother of two children.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss