Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 4:22pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex Question ... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex Question ...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex Question ...  (Read 527 times)
TonyG1

Email

Imitrex Question ...
« on: Feb 4th, 2005, 9:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Interesting thing happened this a.m. --- took the nightly verapamil and decided to try sleeping in my bed vs. my recliner where I've been for more than a few nights ... the verap has worked the past several nights while I slept in a semi-sitting position in the recliner ... being brave, I decided to try the bed ... the beast reared its head for a brief while at about 5 a.m. -- Maybe a K level 4 bordering a 5 ... tolerable but annoying... the imitrex tabs seemed to work exceptionally well (15 minutes) this a.m. -- caffeine chaser (must have the java).  After the beast was put in its box (thank goodness I didn't have to do the dance!) and the pain had passed, I took a shower to get ready for work...  My skin felt as if I had a mild sunburn... didn't look flushed ... just curious if anyone else had ever experienced this with imitrex ... not even sure the Rx was the cause ... ?
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Imitrex Question ...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 12:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Nope.  Normal niacin will flush me.  That is the closest I have ever come to that feeling.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 1:11am »

on Feb 5th, 2005, 12:24am, Rock_Lobster wrote:
Nope.  Normal niacin will flush me.  That is the closest I have ever come to that feeling.

I should have known you wouldn't have experienced it from embarassment.  Grin

Bill
IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 11:12am »

Thanks for the replies.  The beast visited again at 5a.m. this morning (even in my recliner) and decided to stay a while... did the dance ... took the trex and still I had to dance for a few hours (3 or 4) ...  <sigh...>  It always gets worse before it gets better ... gocrazy

Just have to pick myself up by the proverbial boot straps and say hell no to the beast within ... to my personal beast I say  finger
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 11:21pm »

on Feb 5th, 2005, 1:11am, Racer1_NC wrote:

I should have known you wouldn't have experienced it from embarassment.  Grin

Bill

lol... i spit on my keyboard from that!  dosing right now, you know.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 8:13pm »

Hi Tony,

Just a comment aside from the flushing thing - never experienced that.

Have you tried or asked for either Trex injections or NS?  For must clusterheads, pills are totally useless - they simply take too long to work.

Nobody should have to suffer a cluster for 2-3 hours when there are abortives that work in as little as 5-10 minutes!

Hugs and good wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 10:34pm »

I haven't tried the injections.  I've had the CHs for about 18 years; however, finally just went to the doc and was diagnosed a week or so ago.  I thought about calling the doc as I noticed ... it takes a Lonnnnnngggggg time for the pills to do any good.  I had to travel out of town (in a hotel as we speak) and didn't want to try the injectables in the event the have a different effect on me than the pills.  ( it would be terrible to be in a hotel and have a bad reaction to the injectable -- that would be bad enough at home) Smiley  I'm going to ask my doc about it when I have my follow-up appt.  

I suspect I'm nearing the end of my cluster cycle (I hope) as they normally don't last over 3 weeks -- it is week 3.

Thanks for the insight!!

Tony
IP Logged
RDJ
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 2:08pm »

Hi new to the board here, but am also a cluster sufferer, do try the imitrix nasal, 4 out of 5 times it stops em dead in 5 min or less, the key I have found is to blow the nose good before the spray, and lay back head tilted, and 5 min they are gone, I have also found that a tooth pick pushed into my gum on the side of attack right behind the cannine tooth helps
IP Logged
Eb
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 3:00pm »

Tony,

I've gotten that "sunburn" sensation after having had an Imitrex injection followed shortly thereafter by a shower...damnest thing....

Eb
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 8:11pm »

Ohmigod!!!! A toothpick in your gum?!

I would simply call that self-inflicted torture.  I much prefer pulling out my hair.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
RDJ
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 10:19pm »

well, I do not bury the toothpick, but rather about like going between the teeth as you would use a toothpick, but apply slight pressure agianst the gum.  It does help, This was the method that I used the most before I got Imetrex, so that was the fix for 15 of my years of pain.  Why do all Dr.s seem to brush a cluster patient through so fast?  I have seeen 8 Dr.'s and they all say try asprin, my god, tell them you are taking 8 nuprin at an attack, and they freak....
IP Logged
bigred
New Board Junior
USA 

persaverance

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 10:18pm »

My doc gave me both nasal and injec, imitrex.
   We did not consider the pill as an option,
   For me the nasal did not hit the beast hard enough to knock it down. But the injection took care of the worst Ch IVE HAD IN TWO WEEKS, in 6 minutes flat.
     And the second Ch that came along was gone in 7min.   This is just my responses and yours may be differant
   But I am sold on imitrex being one of the best quick sollutions in emergancies
     bigred
IP Logged

fishing for relief in a very big pond.
MorDog
New Board Newbie
USA 

Not Again!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 7:08pm »

I tried the pills a few episodes ago.  At first I thought they worked until I realized that the CH lasted the same amount of time whether I took one or not.  I now have the nasal and it is working great for me.  It has been working in 7 - 15 mins.  I have noticed that the earlier in my attack I use the nasal the quicker it will work.  I have never tried the injections but if the nasal quits working that will be the next choice.
IP Logged

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.
terach

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 9:19pm »

Hi Guys, I have been a CH suferer for about 8 years, i am currently 34, i have tried and spend a g-d load of money on every type of doctor and treatment that i think there is out there, (if anybody knows of anything new let me know) short of surgery, i find that the Imitrex is the best to stop an attack in it's tract, and only with a shot, the pills are totally useless even if you take 100 mg, it simply takes too long! the nasal is better then the pill, but as you fellow CH sfferers will agree a minute with a cluster is like 24 hours with your worst enemy in a 4x4 room locked! so! the shot is the best way to go, i do use the advice that i found on ch.com about dividing the 6 mg shot, but i took it to the next level. you can get a box of vial's that are really made for hospitals they come six in a pack get a ordinary insulin needle push thru the rubber cover suck out 2 mg shoot yourself with the insulin needle! done! this usually prevents recourse, and will stop the Ch in it's tracks, if you are having one of those severe headaches take 4 mg or take 2 mg more 10 min later as needed.
In order to stop the cluster, this i got from my doctor, i found that prednisone taken 80 mg the first day 80 mg the second day and then 7 - 60 - 50 so an will stop it, the nice thing is that on the second day u usually don't get a CH anymore, although sometimes the cluster will return a few days later then i will repeat the treatment and that should get rid of it! but i will tell you that there are sometimes that nothing will stop the train it is simply too strong and has too much steam, in that case it is imitrex 2 mg approx. every 4-6 hours.

Imitrex will sometimes make me sweat, or flustered. then again a CH does alot worse!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss