Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:02pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The topomax was not the answer (M) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   The topomax was not the answer (M)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The topomax was not the answer (M)  (Read 378 times)
WifeofCHSuffer
New Board Newbie
USA 

The topomax was not the answer (M)
« on: Feb 8th, 2005, 8:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband was on 150mg topomax and nothing helped.  Now the Neuro has prescribed Depakote for him to try and let him know when we see him next week how it is going.  I called yesterday because he is extremely depressed and the headaches were not getting any better.  I was hoping that they would increase the Topomax and give him an antidepression drug but not the case.   Another question for the Neuro next week.  

Anyone taking this?  I am not sure the dosage as I have to pick up some samples at lunch time for him.  I decided we are no longer going to spend $30 every time they want to try something different, either samples that are free or nothing at all.  I have a medicine cabinet full of Vermaphil, Topomax, Allegra, Nasonex and others that don't work for him.  I hate spending all that money when something may or may not work.  Is it just me?

I read up on the Depakote and it says may make him tired, anyone have that side effect and if so how long before you body got use to it?

Thanks,
Cathy
IP Logged

Wife of CH sufferer. Supporter and mother of two children.
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: The topomax was not the answer (M)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 10:58am »

100mg Topa does if for me.  The only thing I do differently is that I jumpstart it with a quick pred taper... say 4 days at 60/40/40/20.  I start the Topa on the same day with pretty good results.

You do not want too much Topa... it has a window.  Exceed a certain amount and it becomes useless or perhaps triggers.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
WifeofCHSuffer
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 11:29am »

he has not been given Pred as a taper nor has that been even discussed yet. We see the doc on the 16th poor man has no clue how many questions we have. I have two sheets so far!  It is going to be a long appointment, I hope he has no where to be at 5 because he is not going to make it!  

I wish the 100mg of Topa worked for him but no such luck!  I wish something worked but so far the only thing that is a for sure is Relpax!

Cathy
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 7:10pm »

Depakote did squat for me another dunce like feeling but not near as bad as Topadumba$$ as I called it (for me).....
Still looking for a cocktail that will work......

The doc should put him on some type of stroid as an agent to give some sort of relief while the meds are reaching therapeutic dosage...

Hang in there!

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 1:11am »

Sucks that Topa wasn't the answer.  Maybe the Depakote will work for him.  Everyone is different, so you really can't go by my results.  I took Depakote up to 1500mg without any effect on the clusters.  Unfortunately, the world of CH prevention is strictly trial and error.  If there were any definitive answers, there'd be a lot less suffering going on around here.  

You've mentioned your husbands depression frequently.  Has the doctor done a depression inventory on him?  Absolute first thing I had to do (besides all the damned insurance and medical history forms) before even seeing my second neuro.

I am so sorry you have to be a part of this.  You're a good woman.  Your husband is a lucky man.

IP Logged
WifeofCHSuffer
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 11:12am »

Thanks for the feedback on the Depakote, I am hoping it works for awhile.  Right now since he has only been on it for a day and half he has had an upset stomach he feels nasuated all day.   hurl He has not done that but he feels like he could.  UGH!  

He said if it gets rid of the headaches he can deal with that until his body gets use to it!  I feel the same way.

Did you guys experience this?  What did you do to stop it?  

Thanks for the words of encouragement and support, you have no idea how awesome it is to be on this site and rant/vent and get help.

Cathy
IP Logged

Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 11:23am »

Cathy,
why won't you and your husband try the oxygen?  It's so much easier (no side effects) and such a great abortive.
Just wondering.  When you first came here, a lot of us suggested you request it and I've never seen any response about it.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
WifeofCHSuffer
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 11:55am »

Margi,

Tim did get O2 but it was given to him through the nasal passage delivery not the mask.  When we go in on Wednesday we are going to ask about it and why he did not get the mask.  Believe me Margi, it is on at the top of my "Why did you not do this" list.  

Tim said to me last night I hope you are going to be nice to the doc and not yell at him, I said no not yell i just want an explanation.  From all the research i have done courtesy of all of you I want to know why he is doing things one way and why others do it another way.  

Cathy  

IP Logged

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 1:38pm »

Topomax didn't work with me either... Sad

I understand very well how you feel... Meds aren't cheap. But the thing is that the only way to find out what works for your husband's CH is for him to try. I'm on preventative 6 or 7 (lost count)...

I do hope that depakote works! Smiley

PFdays,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Ouch
New Board Newbie
USA 

Scottishlaw1  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 4:23pm »

Sorry guys for bringing this post back to life but I found it interesting. I just started taking this drug and ever since, I have been getting hit hard at night. I mean real hard. I was on the verap. but it wasnt working in the daytime. But was working great at night. Now no verap no sleep. Still having headaches in the daytime. mostly bad shadows. What are yalls experinces with this drug.

PS: It does make everything taste like ass! Lips Sealed
IP Logged

Hold on tight.......this is one hellava ride
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 4:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Topamax gave me kidney stones ... twice. The Depakote didn't do anything.  Undecided

Unsolved
IP Logged
zrmulcahy
New Board Newbie
USA 

yes

easyz983

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 7:38pm »

Has it been just Topomax and just Verapamil?  My doc says he's seen great success with a combination of Verapamil and Topomax when Verapamil doesn't work alone.  Something to ask about if it's just been one drug at a time.  Of course, don't try this without asking the doctor first.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss