Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « My recent experience- 02 not working as usual »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   My recent experience- 02 not working as usual
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My recent experience- 02 not working as usual  (Read 424 times)
pubgirl

Email

My recent experience- 02 not working as usual
« on: Mar 12th, 2005, 6:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quick bit of background, episodic, previously manageable cycles, 02 and Imigran, mainly night time attacks, were easy to abort. Missed Autumn cycle totally, paying for it big-time now, getting a pasting! Think it is due to a combination of the UK reverting to winter weather when it ought ot be Spring, and low light levels as a result + a nasty sinus infection upsetting the old trigeminal.

The experience I am relating may not help others, but it just might so I'm posting it anyway.

This cycle is bad for me, multiple night attacks (? the same attack rebounding who knows?)

First few days was getting 5-6 attacks each night and no real sleep.
02 only temporarily working, buying me perhaps an hour before it starts again.

What HAS worked when I got desperate for some rest?  

1- use 02 and pop a Zomig pill at the same time- bought me 3 hours PF
2- even better. Took Zomig pill before I went to bed. Bought myself 4 hours sleep. Used 02 to dampen worst pain, then hit with Imigran on 3rd attack. Slept like a baby until morning.

Tonight plan to do the same.

Yes, yes, I know, I should try melatonin, but it isn't available here, so I need to find a shipping source.

Hope this might help some 02 users who are finding it is not working the way it should

Wendy
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: My recent experience- 02 not working as usual
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 6:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

That stinks Wendy... Angry
You ought to look over all the kudzu threads. It just might work for you...  Smiley
Pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 7:08pm »

on Mar 12th, 2005, 6:11pm, pubgirl wrote:
Used 02 to dampen worst pain, then hit with Imigran on 3rd attack. Slept like a baby until morning.

Hope this might help some 02 users who are finding it is not working the way it should

Came to the similar conclusion until miraculously an elevated amount of prevent abated that routine.  

Hugs for now,  

Kevin M
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 7:25pm »

ahhhh prevents............. don't get me started again on that one Grin

Personal philosophy says I will be more desperate than this before I use them

W the B

Kiss to nani and Kev and Pink
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2005, 7:32pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 9:34pm »

on Mar 12th, 2005, 6:11pm, pubgirl wrote:

2- even better. Took Zomig pill before I went to bed. Bought myself 4 hours sleep. Used 02 to dampen worst pain, then hit with Imigran on 3rd attack. Slept like a baby until morning.

am I reading this correctly? did you take Zomig and imigran within the same 24 hours?

if you did MIXING TRIPANS WITHIN THE SAME 24 HOURS CAN KILL YOU!

please be careful!!!
IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 10:15pm »

Wendy what lionsound says is absolutely right.  Remember Roxy's experience with zomig and imitrex (imigran)?  It landed her in the emergency room with a cardiac event.

Please please be careful, Roxy has NO prior history of cardiac issues and has had none since, but that mixture of zomig and imitrex came as close to killing her as she could have ever come.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 6:36pm »

Thanks for the warning, I knew I was sailing close to the wind but comforted myself by the thought that I was only taking two triptans in 24 hours but........... I started getting dizzy spells and "flutters" and frightened myself so I'm now just sticking to 02 and a Zomig before bed.

Embarassed

Wendy
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 7:28pm »

I would get hit 8x/day and o2 and imitrix saved my but for a couple of years.  Then the o2 quit working for me also.  I know how you feel. Cry  I felt the same way.  I however found other ways of coping.  You will find something to work for you.  Keep the faith!!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 7:31pm »

I ain't gonna argue mixing triptans, cuz I'm guilty as hell. Never had a problem, either........and that doesn't make me right.

On O2.
Last go around, I thought O2 wasn't working as well. Definitely took longer.........up to 25 minutes per blast.
Went back to paying attention to basics:
1. Cut the strap off the mask.
2. Make sure the intake valve (between the bag and mask) is functioning properly.
3. Put tape over the exhaust valves on the sides of the mask so they don't work.

Procedure:
1. Turn on the O2 and let bag fill.
2. Press mask against face with one hand and squeeze the bag with the other hand, inhale deeply.
3. Release the bag and pull mask slightly away from face, exhale through mouth, blowing the air down away from the mask.
4. Repeat #2 & #3.

I don't know what to tell you. I'm miserable as a test subject. I took kudzu caps for a week, at max dose......the clear caps from Nature's Way filled with brown stuff. (I'm not in cycle, either.)

Only side effect - My stool was brown. Coincidence?
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 9:54am »

Wendy!!   Shocked  I'm surprised at you - mixing triptans!!  You know better than that!!  40 lashes for you, young lady.  NO MORE, ok?  Bad girl!!

You should be able to order melatonin online, I would think - or you could try UK's equivalent of Dramamine or Gravol. Both are travel sickness meds and, I'm not sure about the UK, but they are available here in generic form.  That, or benadryl.  All these meds cause sleep as a side effect but don't let you get into REM which is where the beast finds you.  Best not to take them, therefore, for more than a few days in a row because you do need REM at some point.

I'm so sorry to hear you're getting nailed again, Wendy. Always here if you need a shoulder, you know that.  

hugs,  
Margi

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 5:47pm »

Hi all

Thanks for all the kind comments and the justified slap on the wrists Margi Embarassed, I'm coping better now as I got less night timers last night and more sleep (more day attacks to make up the numbers though Sad) and my 02 is now doing the trick (see below about this)
A dear friend on here is sending me some melatonin (shine on, you lovely man Grin)

Thanks for the tips Randy, regrettably I have a perfectly working new non-rebreather with the correct valves and was using it right, so that wasn't the problem.

Here's a weird idea for you though. A friend on here told me that they had heard that old tanks of 02 (i.e. not recently filled) lose some of their potency. I mentally scoffed at this idea but here's the weird thing, I had used up all my stockpiled tanks and started on a newly filled one, and................02 is aborting successfully and quickly again!

Bizarre coincidence? Auto suggestion?
Who knows, but it certainly deserves some further thought

Love to all
Wendy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss