Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 12:42am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Been thinking about doing chelation therapy »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Been thinking about doing chelation therapy
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Been thinking about doing chelation therapy  (Read 528 times)
godsjoy
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Been thinking about doing chelation therapy
« on: Feb 9th, 2005, 7:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm going to my Cario Dr. for a stress test....called by my Neuro originally....but as all this cycle has progressed....or rather regressed.....or rather gotten downright aweful -month 5 and it has been 4 -6 hits a day including heavy shadows......I have been reading and putting two and two together with this vascular thing seeming to be related to the clusters.......I have friends who have done chelation for other reasons and are happy they did.....I am considering investigating....

Anybody ever tried it for reals?????

Love you all,
Karen
IP Logged

Think as one of action...
Act as one of thought
and pray...pray....pray...
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: Been thinking about doing chelation therapy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 8:37pm »

The fact that this therapy is listed as a high priority item on "quackwatch.com" would lead me to believe you are taking a trip down the proverbial "yellow brick road."

Just an opinion.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 10:13pm »

on Feb 9th, 2005, 7:55pm, godsjoy wrote:

Anybody ever tried it for reals?????

Love you all,
Karen

Don't bother. Especially for clusters. I have seen a couple studies over the years that show a link between iron deposits and migraine activity. Chelation advocates point to these as proof that the iron caused the problems. The other side points to the deposits being a result of the damage that migraines can cause in the brain.

Aspirin is a chelator...if aspirin stops your clusters....?

This (along with bloodletting) is most often pushed as a "cure" for everything, and I mean everything. If you do searches and check newsgroups, you'll find its touted as a cure for everything from headaches to cancer.

Another commonality of those pushing these theories is that many of them are vegitarians and vegans (not that there's anything wrong with that but..) and use it to convince people to stop eating meat.  
As the placebo effect can be as much as 30%, if they can get 30% of those that try it, to stop eating steaks on the 4th of July, even if its for only one 4th, they feel they've saved a cow.

Bobw
(who loves a good Bar-B-Que)
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 10:32pm »

My wife's uncle tried the chelation treatments and swore up and down they worked miracles.................
until it almost killed him.
He was having some aches and pains and was talked into the treatments by a friend of his. After his first treatment he said he hadn’t felt so good in a long time. After about 6 weeks the aches and pains started to return and he returned for another chelation treatment. This went on for about 6 months until he felt the treatments were no longer helping and he (finally) went to see a real doctor. The next morning he was having by-pass surgery. Another few weeks and he would have been dead.

Another Bob that enjoys a good B-B-Q.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
floridian

Email

Re: Been thinking about doing chelation thera
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 1:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Chelation is a proven treatment for metal poisoning - If you have too much lead, iron, or copper in your system, then chelation is the way to go.  The evidence that EDTA helps with heart disease is not very strong.  

Talk to your doctor about the benefits and risks of low dose aspirin.  That has been shown to reduce the risk of ischemic heart disease and stroke.  While high dose aspirin is useless for aborting a cluster headache, I don't think anyone has looked at the possible preventive effects of low dose aspirin, although other blood thinners like coumadin seem to help prevent migraines and clusters.  

I also love a good steak or leg of lamb (had a choice cut last weekend), but iron in red meat, saturated fat, etc. are risk factors for heart disease.  Legumes, on the other hand, are a food that is strongly associated with longevity in numerous studies of diet and mortality.  I'm not a meat prohibitionist - my philosophy is to eat less meat, better meat,  and more healthy beans and lentils.  

Quote:
 Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2004;13(2):217-20.  

Legumes: the most important dietary predictor of survival in older people of different ethnicities.

Darmadi-Blackberry I, Wahlqvist ML, Kouris-Blazos A, Steen B, Lukito W, Horie Y, Horie K.

To identify protective dietary predictors amongst long-lived elderly people (N= 785), the "Food Habits in Later Life "(FHILL) study was undertaken among five cohorts in Japan, Sweden, Greece and Australia. Between 1988 and 1991, baseline data on food intakes were collected. There were 785 participants aged 70 and over that were followed up to seven years. Based on an alternative Cox Proportional Hazard model adjusted to age at enrollment (in 5-year intervals), gender and smoking, the legume food group showed 7-8% reduction in mortality hazard ratio for every 20g increase in daily intake with or without controlling for ethnicity (RR 0.92; 95% CI 0.85-0.99 and RR 0.93; 95% CI 0.87-0.99, respectively). Other food groups were not found to be consistently significant in predicting survival amongst the FHILL cohorts.  

Quote:
Eur J Epidemiol. 1999 Jul;15(6):507-15.  

Food intake patterns and 25-year mortality from coronary heart disease: cross-cultural correlations in the Seven Countries Study. The Seven Countries Study Research Group.

Menotti A, Kromhout D, Blackburn H, Fidanza F, Buzina R, Nissinen A.

In the Seven Countries Study, associations between the intake of food-groups and 25-year mortality from coronary heart disease (CHD, defined as sudden coronary death or fatal myocardial infarction) were investigated. Baseline surveys were carried out between 1958 and 1964. A number of individual characteristics were measured in 12,763 middle-aged men belonging to 16 cohorts in seven countries (USA, Finland, The Netherlands, Italy, former Yugoslavia, Greece and Japan). Dietary information was collected in sub-samples using the weighed record method. Vital status of all participants was verified at regular intervals during 25 years of follow-up and the underlying cause of death was adjudicated. Eighteen different food-groups and combinations were considered for comparison among cohorts. Large differences in food-group consumption were seen, with high consumption of dairy products in Northern Europe, meat in the USA, vegetables, legumes, fish, and wine in Southern Europe, and cereals, soy products, and fish in Japan. Population death rates from CHD showed large differences, ranging from 268 per 1000 in East Finland to 25 per 1000 in Crete, Greece. Animal food-groups were directly correlated, and vegetable food-groups (except potatoes) as well as fish and alcohol were inversely correlated with CHD mortality. Univariate analysis showed significant positive correlation coefficients for butter (R = 0.887), meat (R = 0.645), pastries (R = 0.752), and milk (R = 0.600) consumption, and significant negative correlation coefficients for legumes (R = -0.822), oils (R = -0.571), and alcohol (R = -0.609) consumption. Combined vegetable foods (excluding alcohol) were inversely correlated (R = -0.519), whereas combined animal foods (excluding fish) were directly correlated (R = 0.798) with CHD death rates. Multivariate stepwise analysis selected butter, lard + margarine and meat as significant predictors and produced an R2 of 0.922. These findings were confirmed by factor analysis. These cross-cultural analyses are consistent with the hypothesis that dietary patterns are important determinants of differences in population CHD death rates, and confirm the opposite effects on apparent risk of animal and vegetable foods.

Other dietary anti-coagulants that come to mind include fish oil, wood ear fungus, natto (sticky soybeans - definitely an acquired taste).
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2005, 1:41pm by floridian » IP Logged
godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 9:51pm »

OK.....just wondering.....I came back from my stress test with flying colors....no problems with oxygen getting through my heart.....no problems with my EKG and no problem with my blood pressure and no problems with my heart at all....yippee......but......now back to the drawing board......BUT........What I DO believe was happening is that the TRIPTANS...in my case....Maxalt......were causing heart area pressure and re-bounds....so I am trying my best to just keep aborting over and over with O2.....and I am feeling better....overall....even though I am still getting hit.....Just not the yucky hungover feeling.....

OK......Maybe I'll try some KUDZU......I'll try to find it at the health food store I guess....
Love you all,
Karen Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss