Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 8:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Seroquel »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Seroquel
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Seroquel  (Read 1271 times)
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

Seroquel
« on: Feb 14th, 2005, 4:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Tegretol was a bust.  After two weeks of not taking it, I still have a ringing in my ears.  

Now, my doc has put me on Seroquel.  Seroquel is an anti-psychotic used in the treatment of schitzophrenia and bipolar disorder.  He says if nothing else, this should help me sleep.  So far he is right.  I have actually slept through most of the night for the last 4 nights.  Still getting the daytime hits, but I am still ramping up on the med, so this may change.

I've done some research on the drug, it's uses and it's potential side effects.  What I would like to know is does anyone have any experience with this medication?

IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: Seroquel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 7:48pm »

No answers here, Gator.  It sounds like Lithium in its actions.  If so, it might work.  Let us know.

Meantime, at least you're sleeping - as long as you don't start sleeping all the time, that is.

Hugs and good wishes, my friend,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
debz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
USA 

doctortansy   doctortansy

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 10:09pm »

Gator,  

I have been taking 25 mg seroquel at night for about 2 weeks now. I'm sorry I don't know much about this med, I have been remiss in not researching it more... but my neuro prescribed this because I couldn't sleep while on prednisone, and it is now part of my preventative cocktail.

Since I have been taking it, I have not had a wake me up hit... I am also taking melatonin (3 mg) at nght. I have had 12 nights of uninterupted sleep, and CH hit on ~24 intervals, luckily in late evening while I am still awake. This has been very welcome.  

But how to know which med to credit for this -verapamil? steroids? Seroquel? Probably no way to know.  

I think my 25 mg is a pretty low dose. It knocks me out about 30 minutes after I take it. I don't remember any dreams, perhaps its suppresses REM sleep? Again, it could be the melatonin. I do have a bit of a seroquel hangover if I get less than 6 hours of sleep, but it's not too bad, feel kind of slow and stupid for an hour or so, a big cup of coffee helps. I don't know that I could take this stuff during the day though.  

Anyway it seems to be helping, without too many horrible side effects.  

How are you finding it? Tolerable? Is it helping your CH yet? I too have been curious if anyone else here has experience with this drug, I haven't seen many references to it.  

PF and be well,
Debbie
IP Logged

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased; thus do we refute the law of entropy. -- Spider Robinson
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 9:06am »

No experience.  I did see this research regarding migraine. Of course there's no research on its effect on clusters. Quote:
Brandeset al. conducted an open label study of quetiapine in migraine. Twenty-four patients were recruited, and quetiapine was elevated over a 3-month period. Twenty-one patients reported substantial improvement in either frequency or severity of attacks, or both. The average dose was 75 mg of quetiapine per day. One patient withdrew because of sedation; there was no evidence of extrapyramidal symptoms.

Brandes J, Robertson S, Starr H, Abu-Shakra S. Quetiapine for migraine prophylaxis. Neurology
2002; 58 (Suppl. 3): A470.

Hope it helps you.

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 11:53pm »

Up to 100mg and so far no major side effects other than feeling a bit woozy first in the morning.  Why didn't someone tell me sleep felt this good.  Bastages.  I see how you are - hogging it all to yourselves.  Grin  Still having the daytime hits, though they don't seem as bad.  Not going to get my hopes up yet.  May just be a normal low cycle within the cycle thing.  Time will tell.

IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 8:31am »

No CH experience. Got a kid on seroquel (bi-polar). Stuff seems to work, but it's got a real 1-2 punch. At 50 mg, she goes to sleeps fast. At 75 mg, she's asleep before she can find the bed. It can have some serious side effects. Have to wait and see on the long term. Warned to get her on the pill, and No Pregnancy while taking it. Bad juju.

Gator.........check out the 5-HT activity in Kudzu thread. Recruits needed.
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 10:33am »

on Feb 17th, 2005, 8:31am, Mr. Happy wrote:
No CH experience. Got a kid on seroquel (bi-polar). Stuff seems to work, but it's got a real 1-2 punch. At 50 mg, she goes to sleeps fast. At 75 mg, she's asleep before she can find the bed. It can have some serious side effects. Have to wait and see on the long term. Warned to get her on the pill, and No Pregnancy while taking it. Bad juju.

Gator.........check out the 5-HT activity in Kudzu thread. Recruits needed.

From what I have read, seroquel is one of the milder anti-psychotics, but yes, it defintely makes you sleep.  I take 100 mg 30 minutes to an hour before bedtime.  I'm usually out within 30 minutes of hitting the bed.  No major side effects on me that I can tell yet, but I've only been taking it for a week.  The head is starting to ramp up again, though.  So it looks like I will  have to see what 200mg does for me.  The doc mentioned taking me up to 400mg so I still have some room for trial and error.

I've been keeping an eye on the kudsu thread.  Tomorrow is payday.  I think I'll pay a visit to the local health food store.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss