Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 3:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 5-HTP Serotonin Capsules ?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   5-HTP Serotonin Capsules ??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5-HTP Serotonin Capsules ??  (Read 445 times)
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

5-HTP Serotonin Capsules ??
« on: Feb 14th, 2005, 5:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If clusterheads have serotonin deficiencies and triptans stimulate serotonin, what effect does this product have on CH ?

5-HTP / Hydroxy Tryptophan Natural Serotonin, 50mg - 60 Caps  

"5-HTP / Hydroxy Tryptophan is an Amino Acid and precursor to serotonin, a brain chemical responsible for regulating mood, appetite, behavior, and sleep and may help elevating mood, encouraging relaxation, controlling appetite, promoting sleep and may prove beneficial in the treatment of depression, obesity, insomnia, and migraine headaches."

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/herbal-remedies-usa/0006.html

In the product listed just below it under "Other Formulations", the 5-HTP "has been combined with Vitamin C and Vitamin B6, an important cofactor in the conversion to serotonin."

Bob
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2005, 5:55pm by BikerBob » IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

Re: 5-HTP Serotonin Capsules ??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 6:37pm »

Some guys take it, I don't because I use SSRI's.  It's worth it to try, but if you are on any antidepressants, DO NOT TAKE IT, you can get "serotonin syndrome, which is not a good thing.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 6:48pm »

Not that simple Biker.  It's not just a matter of boosting serotonin (5HT).  You have to activate or in the case of some drugs suppress certain sub-recptor  5HT sites.  Besides 5HTP in not serotonin but a precurser of serotonin.  I'm not sure of this part but I'm betting your body still only converts the amount of 5HTP into 5HT that it requires.

I tried the 5HTP.  My advice is save your money.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 10:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

For clusters, I think it helped me, though melatonin is better in some ways.  For depression and anxiety when not in a CH episode, it has a clear effect on me.  

Some people report a worsening of their clusters when taking 5-htp.  

Ditto the concerns about not mixing with SSRIs or other anti-depressants.  There are some theoretical concerns that long term use could cause a fen-phen problem with heart valves.  This hasn't been seen, but I limit my use of 5-htp to a few capsules a day for a week or ten days.
IP Logged
debz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
USA 

doctortansy   doctortansy

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 10:54pm »

I have also been curious about this stuff. One of my concerns --should one not mix 5-HTP with triptans? It seems like it might not be a good idea, and perhaps I read this somewhere...

I wonder about taking 5-HTP while out of cycle, in an attempt to prevent an anticipated cycle. Anyone ever tried this? It's one of the things I plan to look into after my current cycle ends, and time is a little more free.  
 Smiley

Debbie
IP Logged

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased; thus do we refute the law of entropy. -- Spider Robinson
floridian

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 8:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Definitely don't want to mix it with triptans either.  

I'm episodic, and for the last two years, I get all the signals that the beast is trying to visit.  I take melatonin at night, 5-htp in the day, along with upping my magnesium, green tea and turmeric.  For the past two years, I have had a 'dry' cycle - no headaches, but all the other indicators of CH (twitch, weird tingles in the face/head/feet, disturbed sleep, etc).  A few days of melatonin get my sleep close to normal, which I think goes the longest way to helping.  But  5-htp also improves my sleep, which is a good thing.
IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 7:40pm »

Prior to the "alternative therapy" I used 5-HTP 50mg X 2 per day and 9 mg of melatonin at night.  The 5-HTP did elevate my mood and helped with the cycle depression.  I would only take it for about 2 weeks at a time and come off for a couple of weeks.

That in combination with the melatonin did help me when in cycle.  As noted above, there are some medications that this should not be combined.

Also of some help was the B-Complex vitamins with the above.

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss