Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 5:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Autism, Pain, and Animals »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Autism, Pain, and Animals
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Autism, Pain, and Animals  (Read 304 times)
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Autism, Pain, and Animals
« on: Feb 25th, 2005, 8:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm reading Temple Grandin's new book, "Animals in Translation", and she makes interesting observations comparing autistist people with animals, including pain sensitivity.  The dissociation of the frontal lobes (i.e. removing the emotions from the equation) means removing the "suffering".  Self-hypnosis worked well for me when I used to get migraines, but I have never been able to make it work for clusters.  So any ideas on how we can induce termorary autism and at least get rid of the suffering?  This book is really a great read.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2005, 11:19am by pattik » IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Ellick
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

ET found here.

Email

Re: Autism, Pain, and Animals
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 5:33am »

I read that the new reasearch on autism has found people with Autism have a high level of mercury in their bodies.

Mecury poisoning is reported to give the same presentation as Autism. Apparently People with Autism have considerably less mercury in their hair which indicates their bodies dont expell it in the way most of us do.

Ellick
IP Logged

ET
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 8:22am »

I'm sending you an e-mail with an approach which is used by counselors/psychotherapists. It's too long to post here.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 8:51am »

There are dissociative drugs like laughing gas, ketamine (special K) and PCP (angel dust) that have an effect like you want. Police often have difficulty arresting PCP users because they "feel no pain." As for CH, they don't seem practical.

Meditation is the way to go if you can get control during a headache.

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 8:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Saw a show where highly focused magnetic beams were used to turn on and turn off different parts of the brain - they were able to make people move different parts of their body, become much better artists, or become verbally impaired.  The effect lasted only as long as the beam was turned on.  There are also some medical schools using a similar technique to treat depression - instead of electroshock, it is electro-tickle of a particular brain structure.  Those effects seem to be long term.  This has potential for treating clusters, but it will be several years before we see this going mainstream.
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 10:27am »

Nitrous oxide might be part of the equation in what triggers clusters.  I read that a low o2 level causes a natural production of  NO and that might be part of the whole headache mechanism.  So I think I will avoid the laughing gas for the time being.  Actually, I would like to learn more about the magnetic beams that Floridian brought up, as long as they don't wipe out too much gray matter.  At my age, I need all the functioning brain cells I can get!
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2005, 10:37am by pattik » IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Ellick
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

ET found here.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 11:46am »

Pattik,
I have been trying magnets for pain relief. It did not work to well. I understand that they are supposed to be placed on acupressure points(which I did not do) so I have written to ask those who know these things.
 I plan another go at it sometime.

Yours

Ellick.
IP Logged

ET
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 11:54am »

Ellick,
I can't imagine magnet therapy being strong enough to interfere with the brain functions that are part of CH, but go for it, and let us know how it works.  The only pressure point thing that works (sometimes) for me is an very cold ice pack pressed very hard at the center of the pain. Meanwhile, I still want to improve my meditation skills.

Yours,
Pat
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss