Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Shrooms and Verapamil »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Shrooms and Verapamil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shrooms and Verapamil  (Read 3992 times)
zrmulcahy
New Board Newbie
USA 

yes

easyz983

Shrooms and Verapamil
« on: Mar 4th, 2005, 3:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just got the go-ahead from my doctor to try the shrooms, and my roommate happens to have some (I've never done them before).  He wants to do them tomorrow night, so I won't have a chance to get off the Verapamil--I'm just on 240mg/day.  I have a wedding to go to tomorrow afternoon so I can't afford to even miss one dose of the verap.
So my question is this: is there any difference in the effect that the shrooms will cause with Verapamil?  In other words, should I do more, less, or the same amount of the shrooms?
This is all experimental of course; I've heard of people both having and not having success while on verap.  If I don't I plan to detox over spring break and try again.
I'll keep you updated though.
IP Logged
wideglide
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Shrooms and Verapamil
« Reply #1 on: Mar 4th, 2005, 10:38pm »

zrmulcahy,

I'll try to answer your question as best I can. Although nothing about the alternative treatment is written in stone, generally speaking one should up the dosage if not detoxed off of verapamil.  

I am diagnosed chronic and although since first dosing with the shrooms about nine months ago, I have tried several times unsuccessfully to completely detox off the verap. I have managed to cut my daily dosage down from 720mg to 360mg as well as completely eliminate my daily dosage of 900mg of lithium. That coupled with the fact that the number and severity of hits I now get has been cut by approximately 75% makes me a happy camper.

All that being said, you have to also consider that this is your first time and you are not taking a very high dosage of the verap. What you are aiming for is a trip level 2. If you have not already done so, I encourage you to read through the FAQ's on the clusterbuster site. If you are using dried shrooms, I would say try no more than 2gms your first time out. If dosing with fresh, try 20gms. This is only a suggestion and there are many variables at play including the strain that you are taking.

I'm one of those who has had good success with the shrooms without detoxing off the verapamil. I usually dose 3+gms when doing maintenance doses, but I'm taking more verap than you and have a number of doses behind me.

Be prepared to get some hits on the downside of your trip. I'm one of the lucky ones whom seldom experiences these hits, but most seem to get hit for up to 2-3 days after dosing. Oxygen will almost definitely help out with the hits. I wish you luck and hope you have the same success so many of us have had. Keep us posted.

Bob
IP Logged
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 7:44am »

From clusterbusters FAQ
Quote:
4.1 Do I need to stop taking my current medications?....
The most popular CCB used by clusterheads is verapamil. We have received reports of clusterheads achieving complete success with psilocybin while taking verapamil. I have also seen reports from chronics whose only medication at the time of their psilocybin trials was verapamil, who failed to get any significant relief.

http://www.clusterbusters.com/faq.html

So there's probably no dramatic effect of verapamil.

Good Luck

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
zrmulcahy
New Board Newbie
USA 

yes

easyz983

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 10:12am »

I got my hands on only about .6g and tried them last night.  Almost no side effects at all.  Didn't take my verapamil after that, and didn't get hit overnight--last time I tried that I got hit just after I fell asleep.  I wasn't counting on that low of a dose to do anything at all, so we'll see what happens.
IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 1:56pm »

As a rule, people are encouraged to detox off as much medication as possible.  The trex family, prednisone, and melatonin (just to name a few) are notorious for working against the fungus.  Verapamil though doesn't have the same history.  If it's only being taken for CH, detoxing is best or, minimally getting it down to a low dose . . ..My personal theory is this .. ..since verapamil is actually a b/p drug, and D dosed while on b/p medication, they (b/p drugs) don't effect the same receptors, or, minimally don't effect the uptake of those receptors.  Just my 2cents.  
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 3:13pm »

So the conclusion I reaCHed is that the drug reactions with psilocybin merely negate the effects, not render them dangerous.

Has ANYONE had ANY kind of dangerous reaction?

But Margi will be right in about 5 seconds....
Don't forget to taper!
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2005, 4:01pm by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 3:17pm »

I have been reading and talking for well over a year and have not heard of any.  
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 3:56pm »

just a reminder - and this is in NO way anything against the shroom treatment, honestly - it CAN be very dangerous to stop taking verapamil suddenly.  Quitting cold turkey is not an option with this drug!  It lowers blood pressure and stopping suddenly could cause blood pressure spikes which could lead to cardiac or neurological events that could be real dangerous.  

Real good idea to detox off as many meds as possible if you're doing the shrooms, but rarely a good idea to stop cold turkey with anything.  Taper is always better.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 4:10pm »

Taking lithium along with indole-ring hallucinogens (psilocybin, lsd, lsa, etc.) is said to enhance the psychedelic effects of the hallucinogens, resulting in more of a trip than bargained for. I don’t think there are any toxic effects involved - though you might meet God, it’s just for a short visit.

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
zrmulcahy
New Board Newbie
USA 

yes

easyz983

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 9:41pm »

UPDATE

Did a quick (doc approved, Margi  Smiley) taper off the Verapamil, with my last one being Thursday night.  Nothing but shadows so far.  Might redose soon and see if that gets rid of the shadows.
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 10:24pm »

on Mar 15th, 2005, 10:12am, zrmulcahy wrote:
I wasn't counting on that low of a dose to do anything at all, so we'll see what happens.

I'm sorta feeling a Gomer Pyle "Surprise, Surprise" kind of thing. There's plenty of instances of one time trials that work, and other massive forays that fail.

Don't question good fortune.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
zrmulcahy
New Board Newbie
USA 

yes

easyz983

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 2:30am »

Felt a few shadows coming back, so I redosed last night with ~1.5g.  Crazy stuff; rather enjoyable.  The important part though is the HA's...got a mild Kip 3.5 this afternoon, but after that I cleared up more than I have in a long time.  Makes me happy.
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:12am »

on Mar 23rd, 2005, 2:30am, zrmulcahy wrote:
.got a mild Kip 3.5 this afternoon, but after that I cleared up more than I have in a long time.  Makes me happy.

Makes a lot of us happy.  Grin
Sounding good. Thanks for the update.

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:29pm »

If someone needs to take BP-lowering meds whether they're in a CH cycle or not, would ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitors like Mavik and diuretics like hydrochlorothiazide be more or less likely to interfere with shroom therapy than calcium ion influx inhibitors like verapamil ?

If they are less likely to interfere, one can avoid high BP while tapering off verap by replacing the verap with an ACE inhibitor and diuretic. They're not contraindicated and work well together.

Bob
IP Logged
zrmulcahy
New Board Newbie
USA 

yes

easyz983

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 11:12am »

Now it's been two weeks since my last verapamil dose and still nothing but shadows (and an odd inner ear twitch--anyone else have that?).  I can successfully drink a beer without getting hit  Grin.  I've decided to become a farmer.
Hope you all have as much success with whatever treatment you're on as I did.  Cluster can be "tenacious" as my doc put it.
IP Logged
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #15 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 12:23pm »

Great news Z Cool Long may it continue.

on Mar 31st, 2005, 11:12am, zrmulcahy wrote:
Cluster can be "tenacious" as my doc put it.

Have you told him how you are now?

-Lee
IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 1:47pm »

zurmulcahy .. .*YAY* and *happy dance* congratulations!

miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
zrmulcahy
New Board Newbie
USA 

yes

easyz983

« Reply #17 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 2:22pm »

on Mar 31st, 2005, 12:23pm, LeeS wrote:
Have you told him how you are now?

I've been keeping him updated.  He's actually very excited about this treatment both for cluster and migraines, and disappointed he can't prescribe it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss