Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anyone using Inderal (propranolol) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anyone using Inderal (propranolol)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anyone using Inderal (propranolol)  (Read 411 times)
kingsiren
New Board Junior

Good Luck and God Bless!!!!

Anyone using Inderal (propranolol)
« on: Mar 7th, 2005, 11:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys I'm back again, can't say that I'm glad to be here but I do thank God that I have a place to come where people understand what I am going through. My last episode my doctor had me on Corgard. This episode I found a new neurologist who imediately placed me on Inderal (60 mg per day). As usual, when I start taking a preventative the atacks really start to ramp up, like thay know i am getting help and they are going to make me pay. I hope the meds work because I only get mild relief from the H2O. I use Relpax and Imitrex as an abortive but they only help with the milder attacks, not the demons that last 4 or 5 hours. Has anyone else tried Inderal and has it worked? Please let me know if I have something to look forward to.
IP Logged

I have an ice pick being repeatedly stabbed through my eye, into my brain while 4160 Volts run through it as someone squeezes my eyeball. You get headaches buddy, I get the Beelzebub on Crystal Meth.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Anyone using Inderal (propranolol)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 11:22pm »

I've used it in the past, but it didn't help. I had a lot more luck with verapamil, instead.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 11:29pm »

on Mar 7th, 2005, 11:16pm, kingsiren wrote:
Please let me know if I have something to look forward to.

Heh...yeah.........all kinds of stuff.

Ware the fat lady singing,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
kingsiren
New Board Junior

« Reply #3 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 11:43pm »

I'm already getting all these insanely vivid nightmares, sometimes I get "waking" nightmares the same time as my attacks that interact and make for some bizarre images/thoughts/voices...wonder if that is the Inderal?
IP Logged

I have an ice pick being repeatedly stabbed through my eye, into my brain while 4160 Volts run through it as someone squeezes my eyeball. You get headaches buddy, I get the Beelzebub on Crystal Meth.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 11:54pm »

Has anyone else tried Inderal and has it worked? Please let me know if I have something to look forward to.

A "way back when" experiment that failed, but there were many.  Not been mentioned much here, maybe for the lack of effectiveness for clusters.  
  Don't know how they stumbled on verapamil, I'd guess it was an odd experiment too, however, more have left the Inderal by the wayside.  If it was effective, there'd be some raves about it.  Not by me.

Kevin M
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2005, 7:43pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 7:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Great for meeegraines
Not so great for CH

Try nudging your Doc into the 21st century.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 9:03am »

For cluster, a very ineffective med, if the experience reported here is any indication.

Suggest you print this out and use it to talk with your doc about more current treatments.

It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 9:34am »

i think it shows the doctor is reading... but maybe he's reading an old book.

IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #8 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 12:45pm »

I use Relpax and Imitrex as an abortive but they only help with the milder attacks, not the demons that last 4 or 5 hours. Has anyone else tried Inderal and has it worked? Please let me know if I have something to look forward to.

Never tried Inderal, but from what I have read here there's really not much reason to try it.

You do have something to look forward to if you are mixing triptan medications  -  a possible heart attack or stroke.

DO NOT MIX TRIPTANS  

Maxalt (rizatriptan), Zomig (zolmitriptan), Imitrex (sumitriptan), Amerge (naratriptan), Relpax (eletriptan), Axert (almotriptan), Frova (frovatriptan) and meds containing ergotamine are dangerous to take within 24 hours of each other.   Mixing triptans can cause serious cardiac problems.  If you switch from one to another, wait at least 24 hours between the two different meds.  

If you are taking the pill forms of the triptans, that may be why you are not seeing any relief.  Some people who report that imitrex tablets are ineffective have found that the injectible form does actually work for them.  Have you tried the StatDose injections?  Also, have you tried oxygen?  O2 is usually described as the first line of defense for a lot of us.

5 hour cluster attacks are not typically heard of.  Some people have more than one type of headache.  Is it possible you have another type of headache in the mix?  Maybe keeping a headache journal could help your doc in diagnosing what (if any) other demons may be tormenting you.

Welcome back to the asylum!
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2005, 12:47pm by Gator » IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 8:06pm »

Yep, tried it, hated it, made me nuts... got off of that crap!
I wouldn't recommend this shit to anyone....
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 9:11pm »

I tried inderal but it gave me horrible side effects that I couldn't live with. I would try verapamil first inderal last.  Good luck.  Your not alone in getting attachs that last for long periods of time and finding no relief.  Eventullaly you will find something to help it just may take some time.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
kingsiren
New Board Junior

« Reply #11 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 4:11pm »

I went back to my neuro today to discuss th Verapamil and some other alternatives. He prescribed the 7 day prednisone pack and wants to stick with the Inderal, according to him he has had good experience using it to treat cluster headaches so I will try and give it another week. I have to stop taking the triptans, the rebound headaches i get are sometimes worse that the ones I am treating, I usualy get the very long intense attacks after I have used Imitrex to abort. I asked for Oxygen and he said that if the prednisone isnt working by friday he will prescribe it. I am still getting 2-3 attacks a day but they seem to be fairly mild, almost like shadows with the ice pick pain mixed in. maybe the Inderal is helping but man after that 5 hour attack Sunday morning I think anything less would be almost pleasant.

I think that this latest attack was triggered by stress, I have ben going through a really dificult financial problem and then I was hit with legal problems and it all seemed to be too much to handle. Now the stress combined with the fear and terror the CH's bring on have me so down, I may have to ask my doc to give me something for the anxiety/depression. Any sugestions?
IP Logged

vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 4:14pm »

yes, ask the doctor for the names and phone numbers of the people he 'had good experience with'.

I bet THEY didn't have a good experience.  They probably found another doctor.

edited to fix misquote.... oops
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2005, 10:52pm by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #13 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 6:27pm »

on Mar 9th, 2005, 4:11pm, kingsiren wrote:
I asked for Oxygen and he said that if the prednisone isnt working by friday he will prescribe it.

AAAAAHHHHHH!!! [pulls out two fists full of hair]  Fucking moron doctors.  

Oxygen:  Cheaper than most meds
      More consistantly effective than most meds
      Fewer side effects than most meds

What a terrible thing to prescribe to a person.  I should probably sue my doctor for getting me hooked on O2.  Oh wait.  O2 is not addictive, either.  

Sheesh

Maybe it is time to find another quack doctor.      
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 9th, 2005, 9:22pm »

Quote:
I bet THEY didn't have good luck.

I agree. I'm thinking your doc is misdiagnosing Meeegraines for clusters.
IP Logged
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 8:03pm »

My Neuro had me on Lithium & Inderal - didn't do nothing good for my clusters but did make me ho-hum.  

Definitely get the O2 and check out: www.clusterbusters.com - this treatment/medication has helped many.
IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 7:46pm »

Tried the Inderal LA for about 6 months.It made me so friggin' tired I could hardly work.Doctor claimed it would get better with time.Well it didn't. Switched to Nadolol and it seems to not make me so tired.Still chronic,just not as bad.Wondering if I'm screwing up taking the Nadolol with the Kudzu?Anyone got any thoughts on this? HuhDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
paddleball1
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 1:07am »

Hi, I've tried inderal.  In fact I was on it for two years and was doing pretty good, but the clusters came back and have lasted over 5 months.  I think the reason it lasted so long was because I was using cafergot.  When the cafergot was stopped, my body rebounded.  I finally couldn't take it anymore and found a new neurologist who put me on disability and switched my meds.  I took prednisone for two weeks.  This seems to have broken the cycle, but now I'm getting regular chronic migrains.  I'm now off the Inderal and on Verapmil and Topomax.
IP Logged
kingsiren
New Board Junior

« Reply #18 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 12:02am »

Went back to the neuro again. After a week on the Prednisone pack (7 day taper) I was still getting 2-3 bad CH's a day. Obviously the Inderal wasn't working, but I was hoping the Prednisone would give me some relief. I was all out of Imitrex and getting really bad anxiety because I still didn't have the Oxygen. My doctor gave me (2) bottles of Topomax, 25mg 60 pills each, (6) 20 mg 2 pack Relpax samples and (6) Imitrex inhalers (they work well for me I can't stomach the injections) and he had his girl call in for the Oxygen. 2 days on the Topomax and so far so good. I caught some shadows and took a Relpax early and it never blossomed. I have been taking Melatonine at night and it seems to help me sleep tight. My insurance company was quick to pay for the oxygen but the morons at Aprila Medical don't seem to grasp a medical emergency (I'll post that story elsewhere) so I won't have the tank until tomorrow but God willing the Topomax seems to be helping, although I am pretty lethargic and seem to need a nap to get me through the day. Thank God for this site and OUCH, I gave the address to my doc and he did some research. Hopefully the Topo and the oxygen can help restore me to some kind of sanity the last month has been a really sickening roller coaster. God bless everyone of you out there and the families and friends who try to understand. Wishing you all pain many pain free days.....
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss