Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Harvard and The BBC »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Harvard and The BBC
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Harvard and The BBC  (Read 317 times)
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

Harvard and The BBC
« on: Mar 16th, 2005, 2:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been involved with Dr. Swell's research since last year.....after 30 years and not missing a cycle I am PF for over 500 days now.....they need to look at my head for sure.

In my email....

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Dr. Halpern and I were recently contacted by a documentary film crew in England who are making a film about LSD to mark the 40th anniversary of its introduction into Great Britain.  They have heard about the pending cluster headache research and asked if we could give them the names of some people who have successfully used LSD to treat their headaches, potentially to be interviewed for the documentary.

Now obviously we can't, for reasons of confidentiality.  But there's nothing to stop any of you from contacting Chris Paton independently of us if you're interested in being a part of it.

R. Andrew Sewell MD
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Center
Harvard Medical School/McLean Hospital

Begin forwarded message:  

Dr Halpern,

Many thanks for our conversation on Monday, and apologies for just contacting you by phone at such short notice - I knew I was to be out of the office for the rest of the week, and did not want to let it drift too much longer!  I have discussed our conversation with my executive producer in Glasgow, Neil McDonald, who is happy for me to develop this further as a possible Horizon programme, and in conjunction with a producer colleague called Andrew Thompson, who has directed many programmes for Horizon in the past, I will be pulling together a first draft proposal in the next few weeks.

As discussed, it would be extremely useful to see a draft copy of the New Scientist article that you plan to pull together on the cluster headache sufferers, purely for research at this end, and strictly on an embargoed basis. Also, if at this stage you could suggest cluster headache sufferers who reside in Britain and/or the US, who may be willing to discuss their situation and the use of LSD to treat it, I would be further grateful for a chance to talk to them about their situation and the proposed documentary. Finally, if you could clarify again your expected timeline until the first trials, outlining which steps need to be passed along the way (permissions, etc), it would give me a useful timeline to work to at this end.

Finally, thanks again for the chat – I think if we can get this up and running we will have a fantastic and interesting programme on our hands, and I look forward to further conversations in the near future with you to progress this further!. Please do keep in touch with me on any developments that may happen in the foreseeable future at your end, and I will do likewise at this end.  

I look forward to hearing from you again soon!
Yours sincerely,
Chris Paton

Assistant Producer
BBC Scotland

501 days PF and counting!

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

cc: Med Board & CH Specific
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2005, 3:32pm by Mark C » IP Logged

Click The Flag
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

Re: Harvard and The BBC
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 4:14pm »

Thanks mark and congrats on the pain free life!

Anyone interested in finding out more on this BBC documentary, getting put on a list for possible interviews by the producers or if you'd like the email address of the producer, let me know.  
I will be speaking with Mr. patton again next week and will happily pass along any names/contact info.  

FYI...As all the names and information some of you have supplied to Dr.s Sewell and Halpern is confidential, no names or personal information has been or will be relayed to the show. So, if you are interested, let me know and we can put you in touch with them.

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 2:30am »

Wow! Congrats! I wish you lots of more PF days! Smiley

Best wishes,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Flash

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 4:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Not sure it was the best idea in the world to post this here...

For clarification:  

THE DOCUMENTARY IS SPECIFICALLY ABOUT LSD  

THE DOCUMENTARY IS NOT ABOUT CLUSTERHEADACHES

THE DOCUMENTARY IS NOT ABOUT SHROOMS

The programme is intended to coincide with the 50 year aniversary of LSD and Dr Albert Hoffmann's 100th birthday.

My understanding is that they are ONLY interested in speaking to people with experience of LSD, and in our case experience of using LSD to treat CH.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2005, 4:22am by Flash » IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 6:11am »

on Mar 17th, 2005, 4:22am, Flash wrote:
Not sure it was the best idea in the world to post this here...

For clarification:  

THE DOCUMENTARY IS SPECIFICALLY ABOUT LSD  

THE DOCUMENTARY IS NOT ABOUT CLUSTERHEADACHES

THE DOCUMENTARY IS NOT ABOUT SHROOMS

The programme is intended to coincide with the 50 year aniversary of LSD and Dr Albert Hoffmann's 100th birthday.

My understanding is that they are ONLY interested in speaking to people with experience of LSD, and in our case experience of using LSD to treat CH.

Shame if this is the case. It might have been an opportunity to reach a lot of sufferers. The chances of anyone, whether sufferer or practitioner or expert wishing to publicly discuss the use of LSD for treating CH would be slim I would have thought.

W
IP Logged
Flash

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 6:57am »

The programme is about LSD.  Full stop.

We should be grateful that we have a chance to get featured on it at all.

However it might just help us with the UK government regarding their proposed anti-shroom legislation.

Conversly what is the likelihood of shrooms getting a mention on the forthcoming documentary that OUCH UK is involved in?  That would also help with the UK government.

You're going to take this the wrong way aren't you...  I can feel it in my water.

IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 7:38am »

Quote:
You're going to take this the wrong way aren't you

Naw!  We'll take it just  as you meant it Flash.  A semi-backhanded shot at OUCH-UK for not publically supporting the treatment.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 1:24pm »

on Mar 17th, 2005, 6:11am, pubgirl wrote:

Shame if this is the case. It might have been an opportunity to reach a lot of sufferers. The chances of anyone, whether sufferer or practitioner or expert wishing to publicly discuss the use of LSD for treating CH would be slim I would have thought.

W

Not as slim as you would think Wendy. I still believe this is a great opportunity and we will supply them with all the witnesses and data they can use. It is more difficult for people to come forward with LSD data but some are willing. The fact that more people are willing to try the psilocybin over the LSD, even though LSD *may* be more effective, is an important point that can be made as to role of the stigma (and laws) that exist to push people away from a possible effective treatment.

What percentage of the entire show might be devoted to clusters is unknown but if they want to look at the good and bad about LSD since it's debut in the UK, we can certainly make a case for a good use for a very painful condition. You can't talk about the treatment without talking about the condition you're treating.

we shall see what we shall see. We knock on every door and see which ones open.

Bobw
IP Logged

[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 1:30pm »

on Mar 17th, 2005, 7:38am, Bob P wrote:

Naw!  We'll take it just  as you meant it Flash.  A semi-backhanded shot at OUCH-UK for not publically supporting the treatment.

And you came to this conclusion based upon Flash's history of not speaking his mind and not being upfront with his feelings on any subject?? LOL  laugh

Bobw
IP Logged

[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
Flash

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 1:56pm »

on Mar 17th, 2005, 7:38am, Bob P wrote:

I was concerned that MarkC may have wrongly given people the impression that the documentary was primarily related to CH...  

There's also some key information here that you're missing BobP.  My sources tell me that OUCH UK have a 'secret' documentary in the offing.  I felt that Wendy's dissapointment that Horizon have chosen to make a documentary focusing on LSD was a bit one sided.

Right now the UK parliment is attempting to make the sale of fresh shrooms a criminal offence.  It may still be possible for CH sufferers to get special dispensation should that occur.  To do this we need to get the message out.  That message doesn't count for jack shit unless our offical charity, whose role by definition is to act as the official mouthpiece, publically acknowledges that perhaps there's some truth / scientific basis to this rumour that shrooms help CH.

Should the parliment get it's own way then IMO OUCH UK are likely to use that as an excuse to sweep the whole thing under the carpet.

Hence my cynicism.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 2:02pm »

Well, here's hoping that the publically televised introduction of hallucinogenics in the treatment of cluster will naturally progress to include ALL hallucionogenics (not just LSD).  Hopefully, the general public and, more importantly the researchers, will be able to do the math and realize that it's a FAMILY of drugs that have similar properties, not just LSD by itself.  Sure would be worth an email to the speaker to remind him of that fact.  

edited to add the words "publically televised" in the first sentence.  Original meaning not clear.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2005, 2:03pm by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 2:12pm »

Quote:
And you came to this conclusion based upon Flash's history of not speaking his mind and not being upfront with his feelings on any subject?? LOL  

laugh
laughing with you, not at you? Grin
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss