Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « help on trex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   help on trex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: help on trex  (Read 287 times)
maffumatt

Email

help on trex
« on: Mar 16th, 2005, 4:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

For those that have had problems with the insurance companies I found a way to get them to increase the amount of trex they will cover. When I got my diagnosis the doctor copied the chapter out of his med textbook and gave it to me. Well when I tried to get my 2nd perscription of 6 sprays filled the insurance wouldnt cover it. They would only cover 6 in a 45 day period, after talking to the ins. company I found out that is the amount that is covered for migrains. They did not consider CH as different than migrains. Now back to the chapter that my doctor gave me it states as follows:

An overriding problem in acute cluster headache therapy is that the attacks begin rapidly, peak very quickly, and subside over less than 2 or 3 hours. To be of any value, a therapy must therefore be rapid on onset. Oral preparations that are used for migraines may not be effective; indeed TREATING CLUSTER HEADACHES AS A FORM OF MIGRAINES IS A VERY CONSIDERABLE THERAPEUDIC MISTAKE. ACUTE CLUSTER HEADACHE IS PERHAPS THE WORST PAIN KNOWN TO HUMANS; IT FOLLOWS THATITS RELIEF IS A RESPONSIBILITY THAT TRANSENDS FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS. IN OUR VIEW, WITHHOLDING EXPENSIVE BUT EFFECTIVE TREATMENTS IN CLUSTER HEADACHES IS SIMPLY UNETHICAL. The options for acute treatments are oxygen, tripans, ergot derivatives, and internasal lidocaine.

Your insurance agency is not bound by ethics, But they have doctors on their staff that are. I talked to the insurance companys doctor and faxed him the information that my doctor gave me, he called my doctor and shortly afterwards they called me and informed me that they increased the amount allowed from 6ML in a 45 day period to 54ML for 45 day period. It worked for me so I do not see why it wont work for you too.

Matthew

If anyone needs the information message me with a fax number and I will send it to them.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2005, 4:59pm by maffumatt » IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: help on trex
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 5:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

thumbsup

Good to know and worth a try!!
I have very good insurance yet.........the same holds true
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
jokrs2
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Eventually He will make us pain free!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 6:50pm »

Thanks big time Matthew. I printed out your statement and am giving it to my doctor tomorrow. This is exactly why I had to look for an alternative approach to controlling my chronic condition. Price & quantity per month were too much and not enough. Thank God Kudzu is working for me. Your letter should help many others who need more than their insurance says is acceptable since migraines are not CH. Thanks again, Joe PFD's
IP Logged

Given strength, courage & a sound mind!
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 7:30pm »

It would be helpful if you would put the full citation for this chapter in a message here:

title
author
chapter, etc.
copyright date
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 8:26pm »

I was looking at my plan -- it provides a good deal as standard allowances.   If I need more than that, there is a form I and the doc can complete and fax to them to get that approval for more.  One thing I noted on my form and some of your plans may be the same is the diagnostic code (ICD-9) seems paramount in terms of whether or not approval is given:

From my form:

NOTE: The generalized headache code of 784.0 and/or the diagnosis of “Vascular headache” will not be approved. Please choose an ICD-9 code and diagnosis more descriptive of specific headache type.
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 9:17pm »

Way to be proactive, Matthew! Smiley

Thank you for sharing the info!

-lionsound
IP Logged
hzzz
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 9:30pm »

I called the makers of Imitrex and they called my Dr. and insurance company.  They got my Dr. to write a letter to the insurance company and the insurance company has now given me an override of their normal nine dose monthly limit.  But of course now that I have that, I am taking Kudzu and having no attacks.  

But I won't complain.   laugh
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 7:17am »

It would also be helpful to know the insurance company.

Is it an HMO or private carrier ?
IP Logged
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 10:32am »

My insurance company is a private carrier Starmark, and they suck. As for the information about the information about the source I dont have that, I will get it at my next appointment on tuesday of next week. Like I said if you want it I will fax you the whole chapter if you want it. Its 18 pages long so its a little long to post. I will post the following information tuesday or wednesday.

title
author
chapter, etc.
copyright date
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 6:08pm »

One thing I wonder about... how does this work for 'Self-Funded Groups'?  My insurance company doesn't really provide prescription insurance.... they just do administrative management.  My (stingy) employer is the insurance.  According to BlueCross:

"If your group has chosen to 'self-fund' or 'self-insure' its benefits, please note that BlueCross provides only administrative services and assumes no financial risk or obligation with respect to claims."

I think I'm SOL since I can't fight my employer and ever hope to 'win'.

It seems like a pretty intelligent (sneaky) way for insurance companies and employers to keep prescription costs down since a 'smart' employee will not fight their employer...

Any thoughts... anyone?

thanks in advance

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
LadyLuv
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 1:36pm »

Thank you so very much for the information... I will be contacting my doctor today... I have had a problem with my insurance company every since I started taking Trex..  When I cann't get it, I end up at the ER (which cost me $125.00 a pop), and cost the insurance company twice that... But they would rather pay that, than pay for the medication..  I

Once again, thanks for the tip and may God Bless you..

Peace & Blessing
Lady Luv
IP Logged

http://i5.tinypic.com/20s7l1l.jpg [/img ]
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 2:37pm »

Nice letter Matt
thanks
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss