Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:28pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « still can't work »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   still can't work
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: still can't work  (Read 410 times)
paddleball1
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

still can't work
« on: Mar 17th, 2005, 4:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am currently on 240 mg of verapamil and 75 mg of topomax.  I'm still getting two to three attacks each week.  The topomax makes me very confused and lathargic.  I haven't worked since December.  Is anyone else not able to work and function normally.  I've had clusters since 1967, but this is the first year that I have been hit so hard.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: still can't work
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 4:52pm »

two to three attacks a WEEK?  Are you sure what you've got is cluster headache?  Cluster is usually that many attacks a day.  How long do your attacks last? Have you taken the quiz in the button on the left?

That's a realtively low dose of verapamil for clusters.  

Don't mean to judge, just trying to help, ok?
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 5:03pm »

I had to give up working this year---just couldn't take it anymore. There are some other issues on top of CH---but I'm trying to get thru til SS kicks in this fall. There are links on this site that help with filing for disability---someone else will have to direct you because I don't remember where I saw them. I should have gone that way but I'm tired of the hassels. Paperwork gives me a headache.     Sophie Smiley
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
AND WHY AM I IN THIS HANDBASKET?

Cluster Buster
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 5:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Mar 17th, 2005, 4:45pm, paddleball1 wrote:
I'm still getting two to three attacks each week. I've had clusters since 1967, but this is the first year that I have been hit so hard.

I think you have adrenalitis.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 7:37pm »

Your frequency of cluster attacks is within the range  of "normal". But your dose of Verap is on the low side and there are viable alternatives to Top. if, as is too common, the side effects are difficult.  

Suggest you review this with your doc:

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 7:37pm »

I'm thrilled that I'm down to 2-3 per day.......

Work is something that you have to push yourself to do! Period!

I'm trying so very hard as of late to stay afloat as many are......Keep telling myself "It will pass" It is what it is.....

The only thing I can tell you for sure is that Dopeymax F'ed me up!!! Forgetful and depressed...Just plain lost and did nothing for the HA.....

Good luck on your quest but make sure your "clusters" do not consume you!!!

E.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 8:21pm »

Hi,

Get the Verapamil up to at least 480mg/day and get off the Topomax.  Frankly that stuff scares me.  Never had to try it, but so many here have the same bad side effects as you are.

I'm no doctor, just a sufferer like you, so you obviously need to talk with you doc about this before you do anything drastic with your meds.  Follow the link Bob gave you, print it out and show it to your doc.  It saved my life last cycle!

Many Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
jokrs2
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Eventually He will make us pain free!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 8:23pm »

I have been on total disability for 14 years as my wife said,"I can't handle the rollercoaster of work instability".
So we decided she'd work outside the home and I stay home Undecided. It took a long time to get used to, and I still dream about going back to work, but right it is just a dream. I have several other chronic ailments that make work impossible for me. So I pray that in your case the cycle ends, the beast goes back to hell where he came from and you are able to resume your life as pain free as possible. Best wishes, Joe
IP Logged

Given strength, courage & a sound mind!
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 8:26pm »

on Mar 17th, 2005, 4:52pm, Margi wrote:
two to three attacks a WEEK?  Are you sure what you've got is cluster headache?  Cluster is usually that many attacks a day.  How long do your attacks last? Have you taken the quiz in the button on the left?

Major Ditto!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 8:42pm »

Margi and Jonny - don't automatically rule out clusters here.

When my cycle starts, it starts out slowly with 3-4 HA/week, ramps up to 1 a day, then to 2/day.  By then I'm heavy on the Verap and I've never had more than 2 a day.  Once the Verap kicks in, the HA's ramp down the same way.

Paddleball is only saying that he's STILL having several a week even with meds.  To me that just says he needs more or different meds.  It doesn't say he's not a clusterhead.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 10:17pm »

I only wish I had 2 - 3 attacks per week  Undecided

Unsolved
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 10:46pm »

When I cycle it's six a day one hour each for thirty days.
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 11:33pm »

on Mar 17th, 2005, 8:26pm, Jonny wrote:

Major Ditto!

Major ditto ditto.......

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 11:48pm »

You filthy chronics drive me crazy. I'm replacing my Mouse Condom immediately, and spraying the whole system down with alcohol.

Paddleball....you haven't mentioned O2 yet. There's tons of options open to you. Your current cocktail obviously isn't cutting it. Be agressive in your treatment.

You are your own best advocate.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 4:07am »

My verapamil is up to 600mg/day. And topomax made me a living zombie - and it gave me 11 CH attacks a day, which is my personal worst. Sad
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

judkins
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

at peace with myself..at war with the beast..

« Reply #15 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 6:16am »

I am on my 5th week of not being able to work. At the minute I'm getting hit about 4 to 6 times a day and always at night. Totally knackered. Waiting for appointment to see neuro again to go on Oxygen. Also going to start Verapamil. Get scared sometimes that I won't be able to work again. Undecided
This last cycle has been a real shock to my system!! Got this scary notion that I may have become chronic. Cry
However I will try not to jump to any self diagnosis until I see the neuro.  
Wishing you all PFDN's Wink
IP Logged

Todays agenda..... get through it !!!!
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 7:04am »

Ive never missed a day because of Ch, most of mine are at night but my daytime hits are hard hitters. The only days that I missed was the dental appointments that turned out unnecessary. 3 a night and one a day, two or three times a week.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 7:23am »

Quote:
Work is something that you have to push yourself to do! Period!  

Thats it in a nutsehell. 28 years of CH and never out of work because of it.

You have to manage and adapt.
IP Logged
judkins
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

at peace with myself..at war with the beast..

« Reply #18 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 7:49am »

Guys I hear what you're saying and I take your comments on board. Up until a few weeks ago I never lost a days work in over 30 years. I think I'm just a little scared at the minute cos I've never had a cycle this beastly. Still trying to remain positive and hope to be back at work soooon.... I feel guilty now Embarassed
Praying for PFDNs for us all.
IP Logged

Todays agenda..... get through it !!!!
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #19 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 9:48am »

If there's one thing this site gives you is perspective. Your hell could be someone else's walk in the park. Pain you could have shrugged off years ago, suddenly shakes you to your core. While the KIP scale offers some relativity for coming to some agreement between each other, it doesn't delve into how each of us personally handles and experiences our pain from cycle to cycle.

Read Read Read -- there are people on this site that are putting up information that is allowing them to FIGHT. There are people using treatments that you have not indicated you have tried that is giving them the power to get back their quality of life. don't let yourself get rolled over by these things. If you can't get a doctor to get you what these folks are doing --- get another doctor. If your insurance won't pay for it, pay for it yourself. Anything but losing hope or giving away your life to sit waiting for the next one.

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 2:34pm »

Just a little follow up---I never missed a days work because of CH either. I was "lucky" all my visits came at night, until last year when I started doctoring and then the R/X s brought on some daytime hits. I just am so close to age 62 and can't wait to retire. I believe in doing what you want now---because maybe you won't get the chance to do it later. My dependents are all animals and they like me to be home. I guess I'm saying work really messes up my lifestyle----not the CH.
Also it's pretty easy to say, keep serching for the right Dr. and  the right meds. , even if you have to pay for them yourself. The co-payments on these drugs are not even affordable, let alone paying for it all, out of pocket.
It's not right and can bankrupt a family person. Just a little reality check here! Sophie Smiley
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?

Cluster Buster
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #21 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 3:06pm »

reality check? what makes a "family person" a "family person"? do you mean only a rich person would be able to do what I mentioned --- not giving up.  some people will choose to fight the doctors and the system if it means getting what they need. giving in and saying that since your insurance won't pay it you have to give into "the beast" is ludicrous, ther are lots of options -- not all successful or consistent, but the info is on the site.

As Winston Churchhill said, "Never, ever Give In!"

IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #22 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 3:59pm »

Maybe I am saying you have to be rich to be able to hunt down the right Dr. and the right med. When your medical expence is the highest  monthly pay out, even more than house and utilities.
But I'm not saying give in---and I agree with Mr. Happy "you are your own best advocate".
This site has been a blessing for me---the option of things like O2---kudzu---mushrooms and who knows whats next. Nope, I'll never give in! Read, read, and self educate-----and this is the place to get some answers.
        Sophie Smiley
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?

Cluster Buster
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss