Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Olanzapine aka Zyprexa »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Olanzapine aka Zyprexa
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Olanzapine aka Zyprexa  (Read 340 times)
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Olanzapine aka Zyprexa
« on: Mar 25th, 2005, 11:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I noticed in the article that has been posted recently, Update on therapies for cluster headache by Todd Rozen, that he mentions good success with olanzapine for those who cannot take triptans.  The test was back in 2001 so I e-mailed him to find out if any further testing had been done.  He said that he still is having good success using it with patients who can't use triptans.

Have any of you had any experience with it?
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2005, 11:01am by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Re: Olanzapine aka Zyprexa
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 11:38am »

Ol' Bob Johnson from NC has been touting the joys of Zyprexa for a while now. Ask him.
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 12:14pm »

Well crap!  Got an auto-reply that he is moving to Deleware and his PC is out of service!

Thanks anyway Hap.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 12:15pm »

There are at least a couple of threads on it, Bob. Try a "search"...although I can never get the darn thing to work.  Sad
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 12:34pm »

I have taken 4 antiphycotics and none have helped my ch.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 12:36pm »

You guys were right.  Old Bob has posted doc Rozen's article on olanzapine about a dozen times!
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2005, 2:00pm by Bob P » IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 1:53pm »

Bob, I am also interested in trying this in the future.  So I hope you can find someone here who has actually used it.  I will do some searching too.  Good luck.   Pat
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 2:02pm »

Pat,
I'm waiting to hear back from doc Rozen on whether it has had any success as a preventative.

He said that as an abortive it works within 20 minutes for most patients.  Strong side effect is sleepiness which he says most patients prefer - feeling more relaxed during a hit.

I'll let you know when I hear from him.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 2:08pm »

Bob, Thanks....I will hopefully only need an abortive in the future, so I'm interested in a non-Imitrex alternative.  Thanks again.    pk
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 5:04pm »

Pat, here is what I got out of Rozen:

Hello
Since that article I have continued to use olanzapine as a prn treatment especially  for individuals who cannot take triptans and do not get benefit from oxygen.  I find it has worked well in almost all cluster patients who have taken it to abort their headaches.  It will though cause sedation.
Alot of patients like it because it normally will start to alleviate or comepletely alleviate the pain within 20 minutes and take away the agitation that occurs along with their attacks.  Certainly check with your physician if olanzapine is safe with your cardiac block.

good luck

todd rozen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do use it as an abortive but in some it make act as a preventive but not my first choice.  I dose it as I do in the article. You can use it more than one time per day. You should take at the onset of an attack.
todd rozen
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 6:18pm »

Thanks, Bob.  With my headaches usually showing up at 5:00AM, I'm not sure I want to deal with the sedation, but I'm still going to try it next time.  As much as I love the results of Imitrex, it's pretty pricey for me.  Thanks again.  Pat
IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 28th, 2005, 12:54am »

Bob...

I used to use zyprexa as an abortive for some time before it lost its effectiveness.  However, I used it before I ever had CH...back when I was solely dealing with chronic daily migraine - to treat the flare ups.  I did not have any triptans...only Zyprexa and DHE for awhile.

I used to use 5mg, and it did make me exhausted.  I had to sleep for the rest of the day when I would use it.  We dropped down to 2.5mg, but it wasn't worth squat as far as helping.  Then sometimes I bumped up to 10mg, but that was so sedating...I just slept all the time and put on a lot of weight.

I have used it as a preventative short term, but I didn't like it.  It makes my mouth feel like cotton and it makes me incredibly sleepy.

While they say these effects wear off, they never did for me.

I went from that to thorazine.....an even more killer antipsychotic for me, but I used it for a long time.

I know my doc had once put me on Geodon as a preventative...I tried it for 2 weeks, but I was so tired that I literally slept all the time outside of class.  It was killing my grades and my life, so I had to come off it.

The antipsychotics definitely have their role in headache treatment, but they often leave people feeling very very tired and drained.  I can't use them anymore on any regular basis because if I do, they completely wipe me out.  If I take it at 10am for a nasty attack, then I have to take off the rest of the day and just sleep.

Let me know if you want more anecdotal experience!

Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28th, 2005, 9:15am »

Thanks, Lizzie.  This is really food for thought for me.  I don't think I could handle the sedating effects very well either, so this may not be a good solution as an abortive.  Appreciate your imput on this.   Pat
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss