Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Diet, Routine, and Lifestyle »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Diet, Routine, and Lifestyle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Diet, Routine, and Lifestyle  (Read 337 times)
sloane
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Diet, Routine, and Lifestyle
« on: Apr 6th, 2005, 2:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all!

I am new to the message board but not new to clusters or to this website.  My cluster saga began when I was 16.  Now I'm 28.

I am nearing the end of a bout and judging from the other entries, I know that I am one of the 'lucky' ones, as my bouts rarely exceed two weeks and I seem to be cruising along at one bout for every 11-13 months the last few years.

I am posting only because of one thing that concerns me around the discussion of cluster (and other health issues).

One thing that no doctor ever mentioned to me was about diet and routine, and I believe that changes I have made to my diet and my lifestyle have significantly changed my cluster experiences.

I have been a smoker and a non-smoker at various times of cluster.  I enjoy alcohol, but abstain during cluster.  I have been a coffee drinker, and also completely caffeine free at various times.  It seems like the bouts always arrive at the most stressful times...breakups, job changes, moves...

Anyway, over time I have taken steps to maintain consistency of routine and life sanity.  I have also made drastic dietary changes.  In the beginning I made changes during cluster times because regular foods made me feel sick to my stomach.  I don't just mean cutting out bags of chips.  I mean eating whole grains with tons of vegetables, avoiding yeast, cutting most caffeine, no smoking, low-sugar, absolutely no processed foods, etc...

I also make sleep and exercise a priority.  I am not gloating or preaching by saying all of this.  I am saying it because I believe that I have greatly decreased the severity of the attacks, and the length of, and frequency betweem bouts.

Has anyone else had this experience?
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

Re: Diet, Routine, and Lifestyle
« Reply #1 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 3:11pm »

I agree with you, partially. I agree with you that it is rare that doctors will ever talk about diet and lifestyle.  

The most blatant example of that is in the abundant overuse of statin drugs to lower cholesterol. These drug's appoved use is for people with high cholesterol AND heart disease or a predisposition for heart disease and related illnesses. For MOST people, they can control and keep within a healthy range with changes in diet, exercise and lifestyle for cholesterol. But, the drug is easier.

With regard to diet and lifestyle for Clusters, my personal experience is that the better physical shape i'm in, the better I take care of myself, the shorter in duration and less severe my cluster cycles. It also allows me to "be in a better place" at the onset of a cycle and deal better with it emotionally. But all that alone doesn't make up for or negate  the f#*#ed up hypothalamus in my skull.

So, it's like stopping smoking. Sure only a few people really end up with lung cancer and emphysema. Why did I stay stopped smoking? No only because of the fear of lung cancer, but I felt better physically and the benefit was evident that not smoking was better than smoking -- outside of fear of dying.

In the end, I don't think you can apply the diet/lifestyle to this problem and get a clean straight line - causation. But, you might find the benefits of the diet/lifestyle help you cope with and alter the individual experience one has with the cluster.

Sorry for giving 4 cents when only 2 were requested.
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 3:15pm »

Congratulations, I'm glad it works for you.  I'm pretty sure that numerous people have tried these things, but not had the success you are having.

Due to the hypothalmus appearing to be the culprit in clusterheadaches, the diet/lifestyle connection doesn't appear to be related . . .

Hope it continues working for you!

*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 3:19pm »

I've changed my lifestyle too since ch started. I've lost a lot of weight and feel better! I know that if not anything else, these changes I've made (no chips, crisps, alcohol, candy, soft drinks,anything with sugar, as little amount of progressed foods as possible, lots of fruits & veggies & whole grains and regular exercises daily) have made the quality of my life so much better. And I can deal with ch better.
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

sloane
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 10:16pm »

thanks for the replies.  it was nice to hear that i'm not crazy.

and i think you all had a good point...while i remain sure that a healthy lifestyle is affecting the cycles, i am equally certain that ch will be a part of my life forever.

it was a good point that i hadn't considered that perhaps my healthier life was affecting my COPING skills as opposed to the disease itself.

so thanks for the thoughts.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 7:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
I believe that I have greatly decreased the severity of the attacks, and the length of, and frequency betweem bouts.  

I dont believe any of the things you have done will prevent cycles or attacks. My understanding is that the hyothalamajigy could care less about those things.

I do believe that having a healthy lifestyle to begin with will help you endure CH cycles and attacks. The attacks may not feel as severe because your body has improved stamina and higher pain tolerance.
IP Logged
Bionic_Daddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 11:56am »

I agree,
  I've been chronic for 5 years. Tried several procedures including Deep Brain Stimulation. Foods are my BIGGEST triggers. Steak, chicken, MSG, preservatives & milk are my triggers. Tried hormone free meats, grass fed only & still get rocked. I believe my HA's are some sort of allergy to processed foods.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 12:17pm »

on Apr 8th, 2005, 11:56am, Bionic_Daddy wrote:
I agree,
   I believe my HA's are some sort of allergy to processed foods.

but...if you're avoiding these foods....then why do you still get clusters?  

I'm not trying to criticize you, please don't think that.  

I'm just saying that, while I agree that a healthy lifestyle and diet is better and does, as Don says, make it much easier to cope with clusters - cluster sufferers come from all groups.  Vegans, meat eaters, vegetarians, smokers, non-smokers, drinkers, non-drinkers, etc.    

The ONLY real commonality you have is a different hypothalmus - a condition that is present from birth and (we believe) triggered into cluster status by a flux/change in hormones that causes a seratonin imbalance.  We're learning different methods to rebalance seratonin but we're still a long way off from a cure.  

Because of the seratonin imbalance, I personally believe it makes you clusterheads more sensitive to different food allergens, rather than the other way round of the allergens causing your clusters.  I think the best approach is to deal with the seratonin issues and the allergen sensistivities (and, please, God - the clusters too) will take care of themselves.

Just my take on the whole diet/lifestyle subject.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Bionic_Daddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 12:42pm »

Hi Margi,
   My wife & I track every HA & diet. We know what triggers my HA's & are trying to determine why. I stay HA free until I eat certain foods. I eat these foods as a test, the foods I mentioned cause a 12 hour or more marathon. We are trying to figure out WHAT exactly is in these foods. I'm not into pain, but I test these foods to figure out what I can eat without worrying about a long night with the beast.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 1:06pm »

Hi Bionic,
Here's a really good link for you that our friend, Floridian (our tireless researcher here) has compiled about foods that affect seratonin imbalances.

This really might help you learn which foods affect you and why they do!

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Diet

edited to add:  you say a "12 hour maraton".    Are you meaning that you're having a cluster headache for twelve hours?  If you are, you might want to talk to your doctor about his/her diagnosis.  Clusters simply don't last that long.  Migraines do, though, and migraines DEFINITELY can be triggered by food.  I know that first hand because I'm a migrainer (my hubby is the clusterhead).  I can NOT eat bananas or drink red wine without going into a full blown migraine.  Migraines can last from 4 - 72 hours.  Clusters rarely go longer than 2 hours (and that's stretching it for the norm around here).
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2005, 1:09pm by Margi » IP Logged

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

Bionic_Daddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 1:30pm »

Margi,
  My 12 hour marathon. My HA's last about 45min - 2 hours. I use my Oxygen for 10-15min, the beast stops. After 30-45min the beast returns, this continues all night after eating my trigger foods. I sleep with my STADAL NS next to my bed for support. Ever tried Stadol, it works. But be aware! It will send you in to next week.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 3:38pm »

Thanks for the clarification, Bionic.  I was confused by the 12 hour reference.  There are so many misdiagnoses out there anymore that I'm always worried that someone is being prescribed cluster meds for something other than cluster.  Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on what cluster is.

Actually, having said everything I have, MSG will do that to my husband too.  If he gets it in something (like Chinese Food) during a cycle, it's a hell night for him, too.  Out of cycle, though - no reaction at all.
IP Logged

source unknown

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss