Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 9:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anbesol as Abortive »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anbesol as Abortive
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anbesol as Abortive  (Read 938 times)
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Anbesol as Abortive
« Reply #25 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 9:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Margi, vig, seasonalbloomer, gMike - Appreciate the feedback.

Day 5 update -

Attack started a 8:15 - applied Anbesol and Pain free at 8:38 - I'm marking this as a normal CH and Anbesol was little if any help.  

No additional attacks - 5 good nights of sleep and I think my wife and children are beginning to recognize me agin.  

I believe the Anbesol is aborting most of them but can't see how aborting them is reducing frequency.  I have to believe it's a coincidence and that that I'm about to get a break.  God I hope so because this one has been one long ride and I can hold off on making a decison on surgery.

Tom    

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #26 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 9:27am »

Good on you! It sounds like you may be reaching the stage where you might not be ready to set a date to have celebration beers quite yet, but absolutely time to start dreaming about them again. Start visualizing what remission is going to feel like and all you want to do.

Best regards,

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 9:36am »

Awesome, Tom! Smiley

Sleep is absolutely golden to a cluster family, isn't it?  Makes you so much better able to fight and deal through the day.

I have a rather personal question for you...um, and kinda icky too.  You say you're applying the anbesol to a q-tip and then putting it inside your nostril.  How far up?  Sorry, gross I know, but I'm just wondering if you're actually triggering a sneeze reflex by doing this?  Mike will sometimes go and make himself sneeze this way (sans anbesol) to try to relief some pressure while under attack.  

And, your stating that you believe the anbesol is aborting but not reducing frequency - that's pretty common I think.  Abortives quite often have the opposite effect and spawn more attacks (at least Imitrex does that for Mike).  

Glad to hear you had another good night, Tom, and hopefully the beast is about to lose your address!!
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #28 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 10:46am »

seasonalbloomer -  Yes, enjoying a beer may not seem like much to most but during this cycle I've gotten stupid  
and paid very, very dearly for weak moments.  Enjoying a beer without fear would be great.

Margi -  Not an icky question and I hope to explain this well.    

I've been thoroughly saturating the Q-tip and starting at the nostril opening - coating the entire lining with Anbesol (like stirring a cup of tea and hitting the entire inside surface with the spoon).  I continue to slowly coat deeper into the nostril until I hit the bony features in the nose - then press lightly on all these structures to apply a little more Anbesol.  I have never gone far enough into the nose to trigger sneezing.  I would have to say the I stop just before the Q-tip reaches that part of the nostril.  If I missed someting please ask for details.

When the CHs have aborted it's been fast, even on night #2 where they seemed to come back as fast as I stopped them but just cuttng the durations short was pure pleasure.  The times they didn't abort - It simply didn't work????

I hope this nightmare looses my address for a while, this cycle has been way too long and this past year has been one of the worst on record.  My breaks are typically few and short but I gladly take any I can get, even when I know it will be back soon.

Tom        

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2005, 10:47am by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #29 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 4:55pm »

Thanks, Tom - I told Mike about this at lunch today and he might try this, this weekend.  We've got some Orajel at home, I would think it would produce similar results.

Hope you get continued good results! Smiley
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #30 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 11:11pm »

Margi -

I wish you and Mike the best.  Let me know how it works.  I really hope the results are as good as I've had.

Tom
IP Logged

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #31 on: Jun 18th, 2005, 5:00am »

OK where'd this come from?

Day 6- Thought I had nothing to add for today.

Like I had posted it's not unusual to get a clean day thrown in now and then.

Unfortuantely I got up at 4:50 with a CH.  That is unusual - but the Anbesol had the thing stopped by 5:00.

Updated to Read:

Things are really gettin out  of wack - getting mid day attacks while cleaning my woodshop.  Totally out of character for me.  Hope this isn't some kind of switcheroo.  

1:15p - bad shadows thought were going to blossom into full blown attack - kept working disappeared on their own by 1:39p.

2:00p - full blown attack forced me to go into the house - Anbesol applied but no help - lasted until 2:27p

3:45p still in house - another attack - Applied Anbesol and aborted by 3:50p.    

Day 7 - no headaches during the night.  

Tom  

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2005, 11:28am by burnt-toast » IP Logged

yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #32 on: Jun 20th, 2005, 7:48pm »

Shocked

Sometimes the daytime attacks
are easier to deal with or abort.

Like the family says, "Never relax"

Try to see if physicla activity
can "postpone" the atatck.

Soemtimes stress is a good thing.

I work at a daycare,
and while the kids are running me ragged, I  
may get a few twinges of pain, but usually
can fight them off by getting down on the carpet and  
playing with the kids.  (Balls, imitating tigers,
something fun and active)

but once they lay down for naptime....watch out.
I get a doosey aobut 12 or 1pm....ugh.

and it fades by the time they get up  (1:30 or 2pm)

and then I am usualyl free unitl work ends at 5pm.
then I get another baddie.

So "Never relax"  has a special meaning to me.
it really can postpone the pain....
not that there is ever a "get out of jail free card"
or a "better" time to suffer....

just happens that I won't get fired from this job.
Yipee!!!

Good luck!
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #33 on: Jun 20th, 2005, 8:58pm »

Day 8

Got wake up call 12:20A - applied Anbesol - no help CH lasted until 1:32A.  Still no watery eye or runny nose that is typical of a strong attack.

Daytime shadows were almost constant - Has anyone had problems with air conditioning?

Margi - Did Mike try the Oragel over the weekend

yikes-another-one -
These hit me when I was going full bore.  Typically I tell folks work is my one salvation - as long as I don't stop working - I won't get hit.  Chalk up another one for the "mostly predictable but not always" category.  But until recently, I was pretty run down by this long cycle and may be adjusting to the additional sleep I'm starting to get.  Just a guess.

Tom  

« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2005, 9:12pm by burnt-toast » IP Logged

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #34 on: Jun 21st, 2005, 8:19pm »

Day 9 -

Wake up call came at 12:45A Anbesol aborted by 12:49A

Second attack at 12:10A Anbesol no help CH lasted until 1:17A  Corrected to read 1:10 """" lasted until 1:17

No additional attacks but still getting bad shadows throughout the day.  

I don't believe I'm going to get a break in the CHs that I was hoping for but at this point I've aborted enough attacks to contine using Anbesol.  From what I have so far it's best to use the Anbesol early in the attack for the best results.  

Hope this little experiment helps someone else, let me know if you try it.

Tom
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2005, 1:54pm by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss