Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 1:58am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « need info on Trex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   need info on Trex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: need info on Trex  (Read 678 times)
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

need info on Trex
« on: Jun 30th, 2005, 4:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

People say that you shouldnt take more than 12mg of trex in a calendar week.  I have also heard you shouldnt take more than 12mg in 24 hours.
Can anyone tell me what is the reason you can't?  is it cause you build up tolerance to it?

What is wrong with taking 2 or 3mg every night as a preventative before bed?  That would give you 4 to 6 hours of PF sleep.  what is the negative effect of taking trex 2x daily in 2 or 3 mg doses for up to 3 months?
Thanks n PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: need info on Trex
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 5:10pm »

Imitrex use is "restricted" to 12mg (injection) in 24 hr period.....

It along with all triptans have limits because of the effects on the heart....the rapid constriction of veins arteries etc.

Too much they say can give one a cardiac event if not worse.

Talking partly out of my ass here on....

Some triptans which are used more so for migraine because they are "longer lasting: are also used as preventatives: amerge & relpax for example have been noted for such.

Imitrex (injections)on the other hand  come on rapidly and appear to leave rapidly.....some people think they are getting rebound from it.

just thoughts no true science.....

here is info on the drug:
http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_imitrex_injection.pdf
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 5:11pm »

Quote:
People say that you shouldnt take more than 12mg of trex in a calendar week.  I have also heard you shouldnt take more than 12mg in 24 hours. Can anyone tell me what is the reason you can't?To exceed this in a 24hr period can be very hard on the heart.  is it cause you build up tolerance to it? Actually to take it more then recomended dose you can build up a toxic level in your body

Check out the Imitrex tip on the left and try it that way.

Quote:
What is wrong with taking 2 or 3mg every night as a preventative before bed
 It isn't a preventive and is to hard on the heart to take it every night....Have you ever tried Melatonin 6/9 mg to prevent the night attacks if that is your concern?

Kim
IP Logged

aka...................................................... KimY
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 5:13pm »

E-Double has a lot of good information....Read read read....Kim
IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 5:22pm »

yeah, i take 9mg melatonin and 50 mg benadryl every nite, but this cycle seems to laugh at that.  i still got hot twice last night alone, it was a good night.  But damnit, i need something that is gonna keep them away.
I got a visit from the beast this morning at the office.....how embarassing.  pretty rare for me to get hit while i am awake, only about 10% of the time.  But damn, the beast CORNHOLED me this morning.  I wonder if it is cause of the trex and a rebound thing.  I have taken 2 or 3mg each nite for the last 3 nites.

Kim, you want me to look at the imitrex tip so i can learn about smaller doses?  well, i dont get the statdose, i get vials and syrenges so that i can take much less than the full 6 mg anyway.  Even if i only use 1/3 of a dose, I still shouldnt take it very often?
Thanks you guys, you are awesome.
BMonee
IP Logged

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

SteCo
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 5:44pm »

Quote:
  I wonder if it is cause of the trex and a rebound thing.  I have taken 2 or 3mg each nite for the last 3 nites.
Would not be the first time someone has had rebounds from it. And yes..trex for aborts only.  
Does o2 do you any good? Link on left of page just in case you have not tried it. Does me WONDERS.  
Good Luck!
SteCo
IP Logged
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 6:22pm »

Quote:
Kim, you want me to look at the imitrex tip so i can learn about smaller doses?  well, i dont get the statdose, i get vials and syrenges so that i can take much less than the full 6 mg anyway.  Even if i only use 1/3 of a dose, I still shouldnt take it very often?  
As long as you don't exceed 12mg in 24hrs it is ok but as a preventive you could possibly bring the impecable rebound rather then ward off the beast.

Do you use Verap./O2/or anything else????

Tell us a little about what else you use so we may better help you....

I know that you are suffering and want the pain to end now.  Unfortunatly the beast is always looking for that loop hole so we must always seek out options.  Take care................PF wishes........KIM hug
IP Logged

unsolved1

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 6:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I use it as I need it ! Limits shmimits ! My first priority is getting rid of the cluster asap!

With that said, Be careful !

Unsolved
IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 7:20pm »

i just started verapimil today. I had a conflict with another med that i had to taper off of.  Last time i was in cycle, i did start verapimil and it may be the reason my cycle broke suddenly.  I was on it for about 40 to 50 days, i cant remember.
I also go through lots of O2.  My reg goes up to 15 litres per minute.  In the first 2 to 3 weeks that this cycle slowly took hold, O2 was 100% effective.  Now, maybe the intensity and severity of the CHs have increased cause it doesnt help me as well.  Maybe 60 to 70% of the time it works.  the thing is that an hour after i abort 1 CH, i get another one, and it typically is worse and the O2 is not as effective.  That's when i take the trex.
Trex is always my last resort cause I HATE needles and it also hurts.  This morning when i injected it started bleeding.  I do it in my stomach where i have lots of "surface area".

Hey, hate to keep asking dumb questions, but do you think its ok to leave a tank of O2 in my car?  it says it shoudlnt exceed 125 degrees, and in my car i would assume it gets hotter than that.  but i would like to have that with me incase i get an attack.  Is that cool?  or will it explode?  Maybe if i only put a half-tank in there so the pressure isnt so high?

So the pharmacist says not to exceed 2 6mg doses per week.....so 12 mg of solution.  You all say 2 6mg doses per 24 hours.  The most i would ever take is 6mg of solution broken up over 3 doses.  That's cool, right?
If i take a total of 6mg of solution every day for 45 days, would that cause harm?

Thanks again.  Support is always the best medication, you guys and my wife have really kept me alive.  Kiss
PF wishes to all
BMonee
IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 7:25pm »

oh, btw, i forgot to tell you.
I also have been doing the psilocybin treatment for 2 times now.  I am not sure if it seems to be working, my cycle is still getting deeper and more intense.  Today is the 5th day after my last dose, and the clusters are more frequent and more intense.
Any suggestions about that?
PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 8:01pm »

Quote:
So the pharmacist says not to exceed 2 6mg doses per week.....so 12 mg of solution.  You all say 2 6mg doses per 24 hours.  The most i would ever take is 6mg of solution broken up over 3 doses.  That's cool, right?
The drug book says not to exceed two 6mg doses in a 24 hour period. So yes you are ok...

O2 not really sure about what heat does to it others will be able to answer that.

Only dumb question is the unasked ok....

Take care..........................Kim
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 8:50pm »

on Jun 30th, 2005, 7:25pm, BMoneeTheMoneeMan wrote:
oh, btw, i forgot to tell you.
I also have been doing the psilocybin treatment for 2 times now.  I am not sure if it seems to be working, my cycle is still getting deeper and more intense.  Today is the 5th day after my last dose, and the clusters are more frequent and more intense.
Any suggestions about that?
PF wishes
BMonee

Hey B......

Here's what I gather......
You are on preventative: verapamil
You use abortive: imitrex
attempt to use abortive as preventative: imitrex

and you are attempting: psilocybin

Is this correct????

If you have read any of the reports that have been presented either here or on the clusterbuster's site you should have your answer as to why it may not be working.

good luck dude
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 11:12pm »

well, i know that i was supposed to detox from trex before taking shrooms.  i was not taking any verapimil.
2 weeks ago, the first dose i did, i didnt do any trex for months.  Then this past weekend, it had been 6 days since i used trex, and had not been on verapimil yet either.
Its just been in the last week that my CHs have been so bad that i need trex.  I really only use it as a last resort, but its been getting pretty bad.  I know now that i have triptan in my system and doing more shrooms is probably not a good idea.  i was hoping to break my cycle in the third week, which wasnt intense, but it didnt break.  Now i am in my 5th week and the intensity and freq has increased greatly.
Just today i am starting on 90mg verapimil SR 2x daily for 4 days, then 180mg 2x daily.  I know that doing more shrooms at this point is a bad idea, so i wont.

so you are correct in your inquiry, except that i just started verapimil today.  I havent used trex as a preventative, but when i get my first CH of the night, i figure i should just take the shot to get relief, and i also get 4 to 6 hours of sleep.

If i am supposed to detox off everything except O2, i dont think i can do that right now. I am in it pretty deep and if i didnt have trex, there's no telling what would happen, but it wouldnt be good.  

As i said, i take 9mg melatonin and 50mg benadryl.  u think i should step it up to 10.5mg or 12 mg melatonin?  Do you build up a tolerance to it?  man, i gotta tell you, that benadryl keeps my nose from getting stuffed.  
Thanks everyone for trying to help me.  I am spiraling down a rut and the bottom isnt in site yet.
PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jun 30th, 2005, 11:32pm »

THe worst part of my cycle is in the winter time. This past winter was the worst in my life. I know I used more trex than 12mg in a week. I didn't do more than that in a day, but I did do it many times a week. (I have military insurance, that's the only way I can afford to.) Anyways, I don't know if it made it worse or not. I don't think it did. I think the clusters were going to be there anyways, so I did what I had to do. Hope you feel some relief soon!

BF
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 1st, 2005, 12:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I usually do more than 12 mg A DAY  Wink

Right now the Histamine has stopped my headaches for the time being  Grin

I never got a chance to try the shrooms because I couldn't get detoxed Undecided

Unsolved
IP Logged
ccbiggsoo7
New Board Veteran

« Reply #15 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 2:41pm »

I agree w/ unsolved. I take it when I need it.  At least if I kill over I won't have to worry about these damn things anymore.
IP Logged

chris
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss