Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 3:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « HELP PLEASE! Side effects of Lithium? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   HELP PLEASE! Side effects of Lithium?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: HELP PLEASE! Side effects of Lithium?  (Read 409 times)
Artie
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

HELP PLEASE! Side effects of Lithium?
« on: Jul 29th, 2005, 5:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All,

Have others on Lithium noticed decreased memory and/or increases in anger??  Information  on any other side effects you have experienced would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much  for whatever info you can provide..... Artie
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: HELP PLEASE! Side effects of Lithium?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29th, 2005, 5:23pm »

Hi Artie. I can't say whether any meds cause memory problems for me, I've been on so many at times and I always have memory problems. When on lithium, My worst side effects were hand trembling and muscle spasms. Perhaps a call to your doctor or pharmacist is in order. The mood change concerns me. Of course I get pretty short tempered if I'm hurting enough.  Undecided
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29th, 2005, 5:48pm »

Artie,  

I've been taking 1200mg Lithium and 720mg Verapamil with 9mg Melatonin daily for years.  I slowly worked up to these levels - more Lithium gives me hand tremors, more Verapamil causes foot/leg swelling.  

I have not experienced any noticeable memory or anger problems.

I will tell you that when this nightmare puts a good long string of attacks together and I begin suffering from severe sleep deprivation - I experience memory and anger problems that I must address.  

Let me be clear - this is me and my reaction to meds. you may be entirely different.  Getting information here is a good thing but follow up with you Doc. and Pharmacist as well.

Good luck on your search for information.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29th, 2005, 9:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Artie,
     If you experiencing any unwanted side effects you should talk to your doc ASAP.

Goodluck

UNsolved
IP Logged
pepsi
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:57pm »

I think that lithium is all together a bad drug.  Read up on it.  It is mainly a physc. drug. take to your dr. about Indocin (indomethican).  It is a anti-flammatory.  It is sometimes used in place of Lithium.  take care
         pepsi
IP Logged

God Bless You!
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 6:04am »

Artie my biggest problem with Lithium was hives but rather go and see your doc.

Good luck! Wink
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:23am »

My husband has just come completely off lithium.  I can't say as I noticed an increase in anger for him, he's normally a pretty calm and level-headed guy.  What I have noticed though, now that he's off it is that he's much happier - I actually caught him singing a little ditty to the dog in the kitchen (something he normally does all the time - you kinda hafta be there, our dog is our only child still living at home. Wink).  I realized right then that I haven't heard him do that in months.  About 8 months - the length of time he's been on lithium.
I know lithium is a mood leveller, simply because it is prescribed for bi-polar disorder (in much higher doses though) - it calms the highs, calms the lows of bi-polarism.  So it very well could have that effect on non-bipolar folk too.  Just levels you out to one same mood, all the time.
He's also finally starting to notice a reduction in cluster activity now that he's off all preventative meds.  We had added in verapamil out of desparation but he wasn't on it all that long.  Now he's just using Imitrex and Oxygen for individual attacks.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:24am by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:07am »

Well this week I am tapering off Depakota ER 1000mg a day, I saw the Nero Dr on Monday 8/1 and she wants me to start doing the Lithium, not sure of exact dose yet, have to pick up the script.. I know she wants me to take it 2x a day...

I was going to wait until my next cycle, but the last 2 nights, I have been getting visits from the BEAST, I usually end my cycle at the end of August. Thats 4 more weeks, so I may go ahead and start it this cycle, was going to save it for the next cycle, whuch usually start in December (I hope not) and ends at the end of Febuary.

If I do start the Lithium this cycle, either me or my wife (sassy_lady) will post any side effects that we notice.

PFDAN's to ALL !!!
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:42am »

on Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:57pm, pepsi wrote:
I think that lithium is all together a bad drug.  Read up on it.  It is mainly a physc. drug. take to your dr. about Indocin (indomethican).  It is a anti-flammatory.  It is sometimes used in place of Lithium.  take care
                                  pepsi  

Half of the meds we used are "psych" drugs with the exception of calcium channel & beta blockers and triptans.
The anti-seizure meds also function as mood stabilizers.

Indocin to my knowledge and personal experience does not touch the CH though it helps keep another HA type at bay. Also for it to have any potential effectiveness for CH it would have to be taken at enormously high levels which WILL kill your gut.  

It is not necessarily used in place of Lithium, it is just another med. It should also not be used in conjunction with Lithium nor should other NSAIDs

Unfortunately many of the meds have nasty side-effects which some deem worse than CH. Others tolerate them well.
It is your body and you will know what choices to make if you are armed with information.

Best of luck!!!

Eric
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:44am by E-Double » IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 3:50pm »

I started the Lithium/Verap combo a few weeks ago. I have noticed some memory loss. My husband can testify to that. My anxiety is through the roof causing me to become angry easier. I am on more meds than those 2 so I don't know if it's a combination of the drugs or what. Good Luck!

Brandi
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #10 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 4:39am »

Memory loss? I'd have you ask my co-workers, but I can't remember where I work.

Increase in anger? Who the hell wants to know? I'll kick their @$$.

Seriously, no on both accounts. Maybe a little on memory loss, but it's hard to tell as I have always been one of those who writes everything down.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Tom54
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 1:29am »

I had Lithium a couple years back, now that I remember (just kidding...). Memory loss is why I stopped. It became significant with a change in headache pattern and little impact on occurrence.
Tom
IP Logged
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 11:20pm »

Extreme tremors, cognitive problems and eventually suicidal depression.  Not good in my book.
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss