Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 4:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « One Story of Many »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   One Story of Many
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: One Story of Many  (Read 296 times)
Tom54
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

One Story of Many
« on: Aug 10th, 2005, 2:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

History: Chronic for 5 years, previous episodic for decades. From Chicago area. Now live in southern california.
Diagnosis by Latest Nuerologist: Rebound Headaches

To say the least I was floored!  
The story is, I wait for this special appointment over several months, as recommended by my primary care guru, because some left side & lower back parts aren't workin right. I figure its from my DVT/PE I survived 2 years back. "Nope" he says, but you should see Dr. so n so... My primary care guy is great! He understands the CH well...The Nuero person didn't!!!
She walks into the room and I limpididly move to a chair...cuz my body just doesn't respond as fast as it used to, along with a few critical joints. Her attitude is one of an unexpected, interrogation barrage with a twist of "I write nuerology periodicals, I'm a headache expert but never had one in my life" type attitude; as if, I'm an instant drug abuser and non-conformist.  
I was clueless as to why the apparent "animosity" and general lack of care. She asks how many headaches do I get a day. I respond with 2-3, depending on circumstances. Without any expalantion or question of what these circumstances are...let alone why I was there to begin with, she unloads with a statement:
You're using way too much Imitrex, How did you get this? You know that Cluster means its periodic in months and very few people have 2-3/day! You are having rebound headaches...
Within a few seconds of her last "s", I state: We're done! Thank you...and left the building.
(Of course patient advocacy will certainly hear from me)

At any rate, has any one else experienced this phenomenon? I guess cluster isn't in her vocabulary???

So, back to my guru primary care guy...I'll give him an ear full as well.
My Point (I guess): 2 hour trip. Parking Fee. Arrive 1 hour early. See Neuorologist for 4 minutes. Invoice my insurance company. Prescription expires soon. Find another. Pay more money for more appointments just to get some relief !!!!!!!!
I'm about done with the whole mess
Tom

IP Logged
giffy76
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me Imitrex or give me death.

Re: One Story of Many
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 5:35am »

This happens every time I change neuros. I was diagnosed by my family doc. 12 years ago but every fricken neuro I go to thinks the last one mis-diagnosed me and we start at the beginning. It's complete B.S. and I think doctors suck!
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 6:52am »

Rebeound headaches are actually called.......

Analgesic Rebound Headache.

Imitrex is not an analgesic!!!!!

I am going through rebound at the moment from withdrawing indomethacin from my system after a full yr.

It sucks to say the least in fact it HURTS but it certainly isn't CH!!!!!!

I hate docs like that.

Good luck

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 9:32am »

Haven't located a good neuro yet.  I just tolerate the one I have.  I did have another neuro send me a letter stating we couldn't have a doctor-patient relationship and asked me to find another doc.  I can't imagine where he got his attitude. My last visit with him involved with him saying, 'pain, what is pain?'  Well,  you can imagine my response. Angry
IP Logged

Susan
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 11:37pm »

I'm beginning to think neuros are dealing with the wrong end of the body.  In my experience they are all anal.  This + this + this= CH.  Period.  No deviation allowed.  And the thing that seems to upset them the worst is frequency and duration.  Not to mention "shadows".
I was a 25 yo pregnant female when I was first diagnosed by a GP.  Hardly a classic case.  Luckily the doc was able to see the big picture.  Most can't or won't.
Has anyone considered putting on a symposium...invite neuros to spend a week with a convention center full of clusterheads? Might open some eyes.

Kim
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 7:59am »

on Aug 10th, 2005, 11:37pm, kimmeesue wrote:
I'm beginning to think neuros are dealing with the wrong end of the body.  In my experience they are all anal.

You may be right, KimmeeSue. I told my last neuro to stick his Depakote, oral Imitrex, and "cluster migraines" diagnosis up his ass.  Angry Suffice to say, we had a rather frank exchange of views.
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #6 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 8:00am »

on Aug 11th, 2005, 7:59am, Frank_W wrote:
Suffice to say, we had a rather frank exchange of views.

Wouldn't any exchange of views with you be a "frank" exchange of views?
 Wink
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss