Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 10:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Melatonin - how high? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Melatonin - how high?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Melatonin - how high?  (Read 455 times)
Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

"Life is a series of goodbyes and hellos" Billy J.

Worldshots2003   FarmerGJill
WWW Email

Melatonin - how high?
« on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello..

I didnt want to 'high-jack' the other thread about Melatonin, so here is a new one...  

I am curious to know how high you can go when taking the melatonin... anyone have any ideas? I am just wondering how high you have gone...

The pills come as three mg and it says to just take one pill but that does nothing. So I went to two pills (6 mg) and still cant sleep at all and headaches are coming too much at night. Now I am on three pills (9mg), tried that much for the first time last night, and still no sleep... I am going to keep on this dose for a few nights and will see what happens... Undecided

I asked my neuro but he had no idea - big help..  Roll Eyes So any help would be appreciated...

I really just need some sleep - well I really need a break from the CH but I am not asking for that - that wont happen. I appreciate the help alot...

Thanks  
Jill
IP Logged

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
unsolved1

Email

Re: Melatonin - how high?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

12mg was the highest dose recommended to me by Dr. Rozen from MHNI

UNsolved
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:19am »

Jill I don't know the answers for you myself but I hope Floridians site might be of use to you

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Melatonin&am p;PHPSESSID=c01746ca3cc7c8761b4622cfb0d11ef2

Let us know how you get on!!
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:32am »

Jill, I've been taking 9 mg for a few months, and it did wonders for me. However, it took about one week before the it started to work. It cut down my attacks from 3-4 per night, to just one. I used to get them right after falling asleep, then throughout the night. After I started the melatonin, I got them at 5 am or so, and would get a 2nd attack if I went back to sleep. Pretty soon I figured it out and stayed up after the 5 am wake up call from the beast.

I read somewhere that you really need to take it at the same time every night. Remember, this helps regulate your internal clock, so you gotta be firm on the time. I have not missed a night. I take it at 10 pm, approx 30 mins before going to sleep. The only few times I've been a bit late is when I've gone to the baseball games (thus my nickname....). Going tonight, as the matter of fact.

Good luck, and PF wishes.
Jose
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 11:14am »

Hi Jill...

I started it about 2 months ago, with the advise from a few people here on this site...  

I was told "Take Melatonin 9-12mg & Benadryl 50mg about 30 minutes before bed, take a relaxing shower."

It has helped me get through this cycle, all the other meds I was prescribed did not put a dent in the CH, but the Melatonin & Benadryl, helped me get through the night time hits, I am still taking it at night.

Now, the only other advise that I could get was from the Wal-mart Pharmasist... He said "Take 9-12mg about 30 minutes before, DO NOT EXCEED 12mg in 24 hrs".  

Something about making the Seratonin levels to high in your body is harmful. I do not know anything about Seratonin levels in your body, that just what he said.

I hope this helped some...

PFDAN to You !!!
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 11:33am »

6-12
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 4:18pm »

Hey,

Thanks for the information! I am going to keep on the nine for tonight and see what happens. Than I will go up to twelve...hopefully I can get some sleep.

I have tried the benedryl but it didnt really help, well it did for a little while and then stopped. I didnt know that you could use benedryl and melatonin at the same time..

As far when I take the Melatonin - I do take it the same time each night and about forty-five minutes before I go to bed. I noticed that part of my problem is that I am afraid to fall asleep... I cant imagine why.

Anyways, thanks for the info and for the website (Thanks Helen), I had never seen that one before... thanks. And I will let you know how it goes.

Jill
IP Logged

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 11:09pm »

I have been taking 12 ml since Dec. and have had only two night hits in that time.  It did take some time for it to reach an appropriate blood level.
I also take Ambien for sleep.
Good luck,
Kim
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
scarmig
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 9:35am »

Based on what I've read here I started at 12 mg melatonin.  I'm also on verpamil and cafergot.

The v and c weren't really killing my headaches, but the addition of the melatonin made everything click into place.  It is odd because the melatonin doesn't seem to help me sleep, but I have had zero nighttime attacks in two weeks and only shadows during the days.  Against instructions, i have used a single 3mg pill around lunch on the days when I have had shadows, and it seems to knock them out for the rest of the afternoon.

YMMV but it seems for me that the V and C and maintaining upped seratonin levels is my magic key.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 10:44am »

I took 9mg during my last cluster ( nice to be able to say that).  It never stopped the attacks but they toned down to where 5 minutes of O2 would knock them out.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 12:34pm »

Hey...

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help about the melatoni... and to let you know how it goes..

I conitinued on the three pills for another day or so and then last night I went to four pills which is 12mg - still no sleep.. I feel like a walking zombie and it is starting to get to me. I would think that after being chionic for three years, lack of sleep would be something I would get used to but I cant... it sucks!

I am going to try four again tonight and see what happens... it doesnt even seem to make the night hits less intense and the ones during the day are getting worse because I am so tired and I think because the 'cycle' within cycle is changing..We shall see..

So thanks for everything and I will let you know what happens... and Bob, I am so happy that your cycle has ended, that is great news..

Thanks
Jill
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 3:37pm »

I am prety sure that it is Thomas who uses both regular and time release melatonin in combination while in cycle.

That dude turned me onto it and I will continue preaching its potential benefits Wink

Give it a shot  

Wish ya luck Jill
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 4:10pm »

Hey Jill,

It can take the melatonin a little while to build up in your system... my doc said about a week or so. At whatever your dose turns out to be. Don't give up!

If it's not causing other problems for you..like sluggishness(yeah, hard to tell if your overtired) or mood depression then stick with it a little longer if you can.

CH or not, sleep is always an issue for me. I've taken tons of sleep meds and melatonin was the best by far.  

Be well and PF and RESTED Smiley
-rori
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss