Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 1:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex tabs... for Clusters? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex tabs... for Clusters?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex tabs... for Clusters?  (Read 364 times)
Carl_D

Email

Imitrex tabs... for Clusters?
« on: Aug 16th, 2005, 2:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My Doc gave me some Imitrex tabs and I scoffed that "The tabs don't do jackshit for CH. Only the injections and nasal sprays work." While that is the ideal, alot of us can't stay in a constant supply of shots & sprays. With that said, before I got my injections refilled I had the tabs to try and make the best of it.

I figured out a way to mak the tabs work, though it is a rather disgusting method.

I take a 100mg tab, cut it in half, and take and chew a half tab and then let it sit under the tongue for about 10-15 minutes before swallowing with ALOT of Mountain Dew. Believe it or not, it has cut down attacks that would normally be an hour and a half to just 20 - 30 minutes. I know that isn't great, but hey - it works.  

Peace,
Carl D
IP Logged
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Imitrex tabs... for Clusters?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 3:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

PLEASE, do NOT do that...  

If you split a 100mg Imitrex tab and chew half of it and hold it under your tongue you will get WAY too much trex in your bloodstream really fast and may overdose. Any medication taken in excess can have serious consequences. If you suspect an overdose, seek medical attention immediately.

* Symptoms of Imitrex overdose may include:
Bluish tinge to the skin, convulsions, dilated pupils, inactivity, lack of coordination, paralysis, redness in the arms and legs, skin changes at the site of injection, slow breathing, sluggishness, tremor.

Recommended dosage:

IMITREX INJECTION

The maximum single recommended adult dose is 6 milligrams injected under the skin. The maximum recommended dose that may be given within 24 hours is two 6 milligram injections taken at least 1 hour apart.

IMITREX TABLETS

The usual adult dose is one 25-, 50-, or 100-milligram tablet taken with water or other liquid. The most you should take at one time is 100 milligrams, and the most you should take in 1 day is 200 milligrams. Doses should be spaced at least 2 hours apart.

IMITREX NASAL SPRAY

The recommended adult dose ranges from 5 to 20 milligrams taken when the attack begins and repeated once, if necessary, 2 hours later. Doses are usually taken as a single spray in one nostril, but if a 10-milligram dose works best for you, you can take it as a 5-milligram spray in each nostril. Do not use more than 20 milligrams at a time, or take more than 40 milligrams a day.

See http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/imi1205.htm

BB
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2005, 3:53am by BikerBob » IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 3:58am »

Have to agree with BB here

Thats dangerous

Have you tried the Imitrex Radis pill?

Glaxo claims it should start kick in some 12-15 min afte taken it?

Fopr the record i only do the shots  myself.As far as my knowledge goes the shots is the only abortive that works quick enough

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Ueli

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 9:21am »

I do not agree with BikerBob and Svenn.

If Carl takes half a 100mg tablet the way he describes, he only speeds up the resorption of the medicament. After half an hour there is no longer a difference from the way the pill is taken, so the long term effects are the same. A meegrainer might want to avoid some of the side effect quoted in BikerBob's link. But name me one clusterhead that would trade in "mouth and tongue discomfort" for a 15 minutes delay in abortive action. BTW, with injections the build-up rate is many times faster.

So, I would say, Carl's method has certainly its merits.

PFNADs, Ueli                 smokin  

IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 9:47am »

Gotta agree with Ueli on this one.  Mike's done this back in the day when he could only get imitrex pills.  He did this because he found the side effects of the full 100mg tabs way too intense (severe nausea and sleepiness, even though it did abort the CH after awhile, but eating half a pill worked WAY faster).  

"They" say you're not supposed to split pills that aren't scored with a line down the middle.  If I remember correctly, Imitrex is scored.  Still not a great idea because you can never split it exactly in half, but...as Ueli says, a clusterhead under attack cares little about exact science or bad taste in the mouth.

Carl, you know enough to be careful doing this, right?  You do know what 'trex side effects to watch for, right?  And you ARE using injections now anyway, right?
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 10:12am »

Ueli, mark this on your calendar: I agree with you.

(The order of the universe has been overturned. Surely, the apocalypse is nigh!)  Grin Wink
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Ueli

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 11:01am »

Wow Frank, it seems not all is lost, you finally learn where useful information comes from.

And mark in your calender, in his post # 1011 Ueli finally didn't make "some nasty remark to someone".

IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 12:38pm »

You've got it! Wink  Grin  Cool

Be Well,
-Frank
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 1:23pm »

Embarassed I have chewed em and snorted them, whatever we do to find relief I guess, just be careful whatever you do...glad its helping!
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2005, 1:23pm by broomhilda » IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

Carl_D

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 8:11pm »

on Aug 16th, 2005, 1:23pm, broomhilda wrote:
Embarassed I have chewed em and snorted them, whatever we do to find relief I guess, just be careful whatever you do...glad its helping!

I'll admit it, I thought about snorting but I hate putting anything in my nose though bacnk in the day..... What? Hey I'm a musician. That alone makes me crazy.  Grin  

I've done the chewing a half tab of Trex several times, and didn't post about it until I told my Doc about it at Monday's appointment. Yes Margi, I've been doing shots since '03 and also nasal sprays.  

All the oral/ under tongue method does is to get it into the bloodstream faster, thus activating it faster to work. I've had no bad side effects, just the nasty taste in my mouth. Again, I'm not a doctor, just a chronic CHead in a quest to dog the beast! Anyone who tries this, do so only if you are an experienced Trex user. Also it might be a good idea to be around someone in case of a bad reaction (Just like they recommend for your first time using shots or nasal spray.)

Peace.
Carl D
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss