Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 1:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « No More Milk »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   No More Milk
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: No More Milk  (Read 843 times)
cabledawg69
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

No More Milk
« on: Jul 29th, 2005, 4:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is my first post here and I would like to get a little insight about something. I have suffered with clusters about 2.5 years. They occur on the left temple and sometimes would become almost crippling. I usually get them about noon or midnight. I have used oral Verapimil (which I am no longer taking) and Imitrex for attacks. I went to a dental appt where this came up and the dental asst said that her daughter had cluster headaches quite often until she quit eating cheese. This got me to thinking about my sometimes excessive milk consumption. When I started thinking about it, it would make sense that milk might have been causing my attacks. Since I have quit drinking milk, my headaches have almost completely gone away, with the exception of occasional shadows or very mild and manageble headaches.
 Has anybody heard of this? I would like a little more insight on this, if so. I feel like I owe that dental tech the world. Grin
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: No More Milk
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29th, 2005, 4:44pm »

I love dairy products - couldn't explain why for 36 years they did not cause CH and suddenly cause it in the last 10 years.  

I've heard the dairy thing before but haven't come across much information to support the theory.

Best wishes on finding something to provide relief.

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29th, 2005, 4:50pm »

Welcome. I haven't seen much to support the dairy product "cause" either. I'm glad you're getting a break, dawg. Different things do trigger each of us, though. Is it possible you're episode was ending anyway?  
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
cabledawg69
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29th, 2005, 4:51pm »

I hate to give up milk, but not having to base my life around my headaches makes it well worth it. My doctor did not even know what a cluster headache was until he saw me. I guess I need to get back with him and let him know about this. I still get really nervous when I get the shadows, though.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29th, 2005, 4:57pm »

Glad it ended but the chances are that it was just coincidence.

All hail the Dairy product unless...............

LACTOSE INTOLERAAAAAAAAAANT
Wink
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29th, 2005, 11:43pm »

hey cabledawg69, glad it worked for ya. I've heard of certain cheeses being triggers for some HA's, but milk itself is interesting. Of course one could always wonder if it wasn't the milk itself, but some of the chemicals additives that may have been problematic for you.  

Be well and enjoy your PF time!
-lionsound

on Jul 29th, 2005, 4:57pm, E-Double wrote:

LACTOSE INTOLERAAAAAAAAAANT
Wink
 laugh yer killlin me,  EE

IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 9:51am »

As stated above, Everyone is different....  

I have not noticed any difference in my visits from the BEAST and Milk Products....  

I have Milk, Cheese, Cottage-Cheese.. eyc.. all through out the year, when my CH cycle started again this time after almost 3 yrs PF, I was told the same thing. So I went almost 3wks, without any Milk Products. Well it did not change the CH cycle one bit for me... Sorry. I went back to enjoying these Products and still nothing changed, no increase or decrease in the CH.

Again this is just me, everyone is different, Its just my  twocents

Fight the Good Fight

PFDAN's to You !!!
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 11:11am »

Just another stupid thought.

If all ClusterHeads across the globe started boycotting  dairy products - do you think we could get a little more attention for this nightmare?   Wink

Any other industries we can blame?  Angry  

Tom

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 2:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Methinks Dental assistant's daughter had migraines Roll Eyes

Latest theory I heard about food triggers for migraines was that when our blood sugar level drops we go for a quick fix from easily available food which doesn't have to be cooked e.g. chocolate, cheese, oranges etc. then when the migraine starts, the food substance is blamed for triggering it rather than the fluctuating blood sugar level.

As for food triggers and CH, my jury went out and returned a verdict of "Not Guilty" a long time ago Grin

W the B
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 3:07pm »

Milk ? ... a trigger (or cause) ? ... Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

If milk is causing your headaches, you don't have clusters.   IMO

Unsolved
IP Logged
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 3:16pm »

If it was only that easy.......

Bill
IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #11 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 8:57pm »

Hummmm allergic to milk and dairy products here, still got ch Undecided
IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

The beast always looses in the end!

christopherjc68  

« Reply #12 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 3:51am »

Cabledawg69, We do all have different triggers! Milk being a trigger? I am not sure! but, I have been suffering from CH for about 20 yrs and have noticed when I am in in my cycle and I drink a large glass of milk or have any dairy, I am hit a little higher up on the kip scale for that day! So I can say for me, no it is not a trigger meaning that I am not hit right after drinking milk but my hits later that day are usually a little higher up on the kip scale later that day! So I do stay away from milk during my cycle! but after my cycle ends I drink all the milk I want with no hits! Not drinking the milk doesnt seem to end my cycle but it may help to reduce the kip level just a little for me!
Chris
IP Logged
Topical
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 6:49am »

It would be interesting to get the dental assistant onto this site so we could ask her some more questoins. I hope she is right and it was "the' trigger.  

Follow ups with her daughter are needed. I've said to myself, it must have been this or that only to get hit again down the road. Let us know how it goes for you cabledawg.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 7:00am »

I have coeliac disease as well as CH. (Its a gut condition, inflammation caused by intolerance of gluten) When I was first diagnosed with it I was also told I wa slactose intolerant but that that would only be until my gut had repaired itself.
Apparently lactose is quite indisgestible which is why if you are ill or have a tummy upset the first thing doctors tell you to lay off is milk and its why it will make you vomit!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

floridian

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 9:46am »

Could be lots of things in milk that affect some people - I don't think it could be "the cause" that afflicts us all, but some people might do better when they avoid milk, just as others do better by avoiding hot conditions, gasoline vapors, or bright/flashing lights.

Some possible ways milk could aggravate clusters:

1) lactose intolerance - lowers tryptophan, serotonin and melatonin levels

2) Calcium - milk is loaded with it, and calcium channel blockers help many with CH.   Calcium counteracts many of the effects of magnesium, and magnesium is known to help some with CH.  

3) Allergy - sinus allergies, colds, and other conditions with immune activation are associated with worsening of CH.  Having a food allergy to milk might do the same.  

4) ??  

IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 1:24pm »

The only time dairy products have triggered a CH is when I mix it with Kahlua and vodka.
So I stopped putting milk in the kahlua and vodka, but i still get hit pretty bad.
Dont know what that means.
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 2:24pm »

Triggers are just what they are... triggers.  But only in a cluster cycle.

We all tend to grab at every straw that we thought could be the cause of CH.  Still CH happens.  Something is for sure (although the rest we cannot vouch for) the CAUSE of clusters is not diet.

But it is good to know what the triggers are and to stay clear.

Good luck! Smiley
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 4:46pm »

I never drink milk, hate yogurt and only eat ice cream every blue moon. Cheese on the other hand, I love.I have been this way since I was a kid. I started to get clusters about 2 years ago. Today, I still don't drink milk.
I don't think the mystery of clusters lie in milk. Good luck!

BF
IP Logged
Smurf
New Board Junior

Together, we shall slay the dragon!

« Reply #19 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 1:28pm »

on Jul 31st, 2005, 9:46am, floridian wrote:
Could be lots of things in milk that affect some people - I don't think it could be "the cause" that afflicts us all, but some people might do better when they avoid milk, just as others do better by avoiding hot conditions, gasoline vapors, or bright/flashing lights.

Some possible ways milk could aggravate clusters:

1) lactose intolerance - lowers tryptophan, serotonin and melatonin levels

2) Calcium - milk is loaded with it, and calcium channel blockers help many with CH.   Calcium counteracts many of the effects of magnesium, and magnesium is known to help some with CH.  

3) Allergy - sinus allergies, colds, and other conditions with immune activation are associated with worsening of CH.  Having a food allergy to milk might do the same.  

4) ??  

I'm with Floridian on #2 about the Verapamil, et.al., that are calcium channel blockers.  It does make sense to me (but I'm not doctor, nor do I play one on TV) to avoid Ca at all costs while in cycle.  I've been trying to limit my calcium intake from all dairy and other foods now that I am in cycle.  I had been upping my intake before the cycle at my health nut sister's behest - never again!  I really felt that I got calcium poisoning, and that set my cycle off.

Anyway, with this modified diet - I do usually feel better and don't have as severe attacks as before.  It's worth a try.  I think your doctor could/should check your blood calcium levels - that would give you an answer, at least.
IP Logged

It just goes to show ya...where ever you go, there you are.
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #20 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 1:40pm »

on Jul 31st, 2005, 1:24pm, BMoneeTheMoneeMan wrote:
The only time dairy products have triggered a CH is when I mix it with Kahlua and vodka.
So I stopped putting milk in the kahlua and vodka, but i still get hit pretty bad.
Dont know what that means.
BMonee

LMAO!! Hrmmm.... I simply have no idea...  Grin  laugh
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #21 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 1:52pm »

on Jul 31st, 2005, 9:46am, floridian wrote:
4) ??  

Flo, what you're looking for here for #4 is that milk can contribute to a candida overgrowth which, in my opinion, can exacerbate a cluster cycle.  

Years ago, Flash conducted an experiment on the old board amongst clusterheads and people tested surprisingly high for a candida albacans overgrowth when they did the morning spit test.  Flash found a lessening in cluster symptoms after a course of Lamasil (I think that was the drug he took?) which controlled his candida problem.  If you want to control candida, consume nothing white: sugar, flour, dairy.

I don't believe that candida causes clusters but i do believe that the sufferer is more susceptible to the side effects of an overgrowth while in cycle and, those side effects can potentially launch more cluster attacks (sinus congestion, allergy symptoms, sensitivities to perfume, etc. etc. it's a long list).

So...how can milk contribute to this, you ask?  Because dairy cows are injected with antibiotics and they are passed through the system into the milk.  Antibiotics kill off the good bacteria in our systems that we need to keep a good flora/fauna balance in our guts.  If you must do dairy, take acidopholus to rebalance the good stuff.  

For the record, my hubby doesn't drink milk and hasn't for years.  He still gets clusters.  So I'll just be shutting up now. Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005, 1:53pm by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #22 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 1:59pm »

on Aug 17th, 2005, 1:52pm, Margi wrote:

Flo, what you're looking for here for #4 is that milk can contribute to a candida overgrowth which, in my opinion, can exacerbate a cluster cycle.  

Years ago, Flash conducted an experiment on the old board amongst clusterheads and people tested surprisingly high for a candida albacans overgrowth when they did the morning spit test.  Flash found a lessening in cluster symptoms after a course of Lamasil (I think that was the drug he took?) which controlled his candida problem.  If you want to control candida, consume nothing white: sugar, flour, dairy.

I don't believe that candida causes clusters but i do believe that the sufferer is more susceptible to the side effects of an overgrowth while in cycle and, those side effects can potentially launch more cluster attacks (sinus congestion, allergy symptoms, sensitivities to perfume, etc. etc. it's a long list).

So...how can milk contribute to this, you ask?  Because dairy cows are injected with antibiotics and they are passed through the system into the milk.  Antibiotics kill off the good bacteria in our systems that we need to keep a good flora/fauna balance in our guts.  If you must do dairy, take acidopholus to rebalance the good stuff.  

For the record, my hubby doesn't drink milk and hasn't for years.  He still gets clusters.  So I'll just be shutting up now. Smiley

Margi, that's a lot of theorizin' you're doin' there. You been gettin into Mike's O2 again?
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #23 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 4:12pm »

LOL but of course, Scott!  How else are we supporters supposed to cope?

Seriously, though...there was a guy here years ago who did a lot of research on all this.  His name was Paul Kwo and I think he was actually a medical doctor/clusterhead.  If memory serves, he was also a naturopath and he brought up some very good points about the candida connection.  Flash did a lot of research into this subject, as well and I think you can still search a lot of the history of discussions here at ch.com on this topic back in the early days.  This kind of discussion used to go on for days and it never got further than being inconclusive at best.  Similar to the sleep apnea talks.  Just another clusterhead commonality.  

Just an FYI:  Humans are the only mammal that drinks milk into adulthood and, if that's not enough - it's another mammal's milk!  Lots of other ways to get calcium into our bodies.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005, 4:13pm by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #24 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 4:30pm »

on Aug 17th, 2005, 1:52pm, Margi wrote:

Years ago, Flash conducted an experiment on the old board amongst clusterheads and people tested surprisingly high for a candida albacans overgrowth when they did the morning spit test.  

I remember that. LMAO!
Spit in the glass of water and see if it floats.  laugh

Was he serious about that! Really? I thought is was all just a joke. Please tell me it just a hoax pulled on the gullible....please.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss