Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 3:47pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Lithium, from God or Satan? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Lithium, from God or Satan?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lithium, from God or Satan?  (Read 446 times)
BigRedLizard
New Board Newbie
USA 

And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice.

268836339 268836339   nttechie   chaos+afu
WWW Email

Lithium, from God or Satan?
« on: Aug 19th, 2005, 1:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My Dr. (Dr. Neil Raskin, at UCSF) just wrote me a prescription for Litium Carbonate today, 300 mg for one week and then up to 600 mg. My wife is very concerened that Lithium has a side effect of personality changes and increased aggesivness. Does anyone have any information (anecdotal or factual) on how true or common this is?  

I have seen several threads here on lithium, but have not seen any info on personality changes. I am not nor, nor have I ever been, diagnosed with any form of Bi-polar disorder. And as I understand it, normal doseage for that ailment is in the 1800mg range anyway.

Thanks for your time folks.
IP Logged

I wish I had a quality eraser.

Something belt fed, rotary barrels, 7.62 maybe, low recoil, good balance, won't overheat...
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Lithium, from God or Satan?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 7:06am »

This med has a long and successful track record. If you do not monitor blood levels and the dose is too high, there can be toxic side effects but, should problems develop, they will not overwhelm you suddently--you have time to recognize changes and work with your doc to adjust the dosing.  

The bottom line: avoiding an effective med because of scare stories is not wise. Know the side effects; monitor yourself; follow your doc's advice on blood work, and you will have a good chance of obtaining relief.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 9:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

People pigeon-hole lithium as a drug for bi-polar. It has its uses for that, but the {lithium=bipolar med} is a human ideology, not a real statement about other effects and uses of lithium.  

It's like thinking that a napkin can only be used to wipe your hands and mouth at a meal. But really, you could also use it to jot notes, pad a fragile item in an envelope, filter tea, and act as shim around a hose clamp. Maybe not the best choice when there are other alternatives specially designed to filter the tea, but may work in a pinch.  And clusters are relatively 'rare' so we don't often get our 'own' meds - we have to make do with whatever works.  

I haven't taken lithium, but my take is that the mineral itself is from God, but some people's dosage might be from Satan, or at least a low level demonic minion.  Wink  And regardless of where its from, individual reaction varies.  

IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 4:40pm »

It was a godsend to me when I took it at 900mg for 2 years it worked great on my clusters.  Then one day it lost its effectiveness.  I wouldn't worry about it.  It is an old medicine and has been around a long time.  Drs know how to have there patients use it and what to watch for.  I was told it was also a mood stabilizer by a shrink I was seeing at the time who wanted to know what meds I was on currently.  Good luck for you!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
BigRedLizard
New Board Newbie
USA 

And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice.

268836339 268836339   nttechie   chaos+afu
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 8:12pm »

I myself am not worried at all. I trust my doc completely. My wife is concerned that it will change my personality too much. She read somewhere that Lithium can cause some aggresiveness, and that concerned her as well. And when she mentioned these things to Dr. Raskin, he was quite brusk in his reply, which did nothing to alleviate her concerns.
IP Logged

I wish I had a quality eraser.

Something belt fed, rotary barrels, 7.62 maybe, low recoil, good balance, won't overheat...
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 8:20pm »

600 mgs everyday for the last 13-14 years, im still the ass-hole I was before I started taking it Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 8:57am »

Lithium Carbonate/Verapamil are two of the few meds. that help control my clusters.  

I'm currently @ 1200mg Lithium daily.  From the reference I have found and my own experience Lithium is not known for altering personality in normal people.  Blood work for liver function is important to keep up to date on because Lithium can decrease liver function.  

Finding a dosage that your body tolerates and maintaining good salt levels is also important when taking Lithium.  Too high a dosage and excessive sweating without replenishing salt/electrolites can lead to Lithium intoxication.  My vision getting fuzzy is the first sign the I've got to take a break replenish salt/electrolites when I've been sweating too much.  

Watch taking over the counter drugs such as Excedrin and Advil and tell your dentist or doctor you are taking Lithium before they give you novocain.

The following are couple of helpful links for prescription drug reference information.  Research all meds. before taking them and ask for prescription drug information from your pharmacist.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/drug_Ka.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=D4B6B86D-0709-44CE-BF70370 3268FEAA1

Tom  
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2005, 9:00am by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
alienspacebabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

yup. i am. i do. uh huh. you know it hon.

alienspacelizzie   MzClusterhead
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 4:57pm »

I'm on 300mg twice daily. Jumped up to 450mg twice a day but it was too much for my system - excessive sleeping - and didn't help my CH more than the 300mg dose.

Not noticing any aggressiveness, at least nothing outside of semi-normal for me. Am a bit more cranky - that could just be life though.

It's worth trying.  Good luck!
IP Logged

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 8:47pm »

I have only been on it about a month now. What I know from that is that it has made my anxiety act  up and that makes me cranky. But overall am doing well. And have been PF a lot more this month then last month. I am pleased with it. I don't think your wife has too much to worry about. Good luck!

Brandi
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #9 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 10:45am »

Just started 300mg twice a day on Monday-has done nothing for my headaches (i assume it has to build up) and I am feeling a bit surly.
But I take incredible comfort in the fact that Jonny takes verap and lithium-just like me-and he's still the nice young man he was before---oh wait! that wasn't Jonny...OMG is this going to turn me into a Jonny - like person?!!! I need to see my neuro....AHHHHHH!!!! Grin
kathy
p.s.btw jonny thanks for stickin around when you're pain free and supporting the rest of us, and for the good advice you gave me on welding tanks.
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 11:09am »

Now I actually have a lithium question or two.  How long for it to take effect?  I've been on it 6 days, am dizzy, kinda sick at my stomach and grouchy.  Does this get better?  or should I stop now?
kathy
IP Logged

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 11:18am »

on Sep 18th, 2005, 10:45am, kcopelin wrote:
p.s.btw jonny thanks for stickin around when you're pain free and supporting the rest of us, and for the good advice you gave me on welding tanks.

No thanks needed, its what I swore I would do when I found this site and this family that I never knew was out there.

Oct 5th....Six years here everyday, I learned more about my CH here than any Neuro could ever tell me...This is home!!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #12 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 1:02pm »

I totally stopped the lithium-couldn't stand the dizziness and nausea and was getting hit more!
So, sorry to say, I won't grow up to be like Jonny. Undecided
C'est la vie

PFDAN y'all
kathy
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss