Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 5:29pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Shadow help ? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Shadow help ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shadow help ?  (Read 278 times)
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

Shadow help ?
« on: Sep 20th, 2005, 7:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone can help me here.  I haven't had a hit for coming up 2 weeks now which is great  Smiley but I am constantly plauged by shadows!  I'm constantly on alert that a hit is coming but nothing... what's to complain about right??  

I'm taking a fairly low dose of verapamil (by standards here) 240mg and have 02 if I need it.  I just don't recall having shadows like these in the past.  Could it be the verapamil that is causing it??  I'm very tempted to ease off (or can I just stop?) and see how it goes - figure I can use the 02 if I get hit then start the verap again.

In the past I have had cycles that lasted for up to 6mths - because of the meds?? and I don't want to be stuck shadowing (of course much easier to deal with than hits but still kinda exhausting).  I'm into week 7 of this cycle.  

I guess I just want to know if anyone has this problem with verapamil or is it just par for course with ch.  As I say I don't remember having shadows like this in the past (15yrs) its either the drugs are working or I'm being hit 4 times a day.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kate
IP Logged
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Shadow help ?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 7:56pm »

I doubt that 240mg verapamil is causing the shadows. If you're into week 7 of this cycle and haven't had a hit for coming up 2 weeks now; that's better than great, it's terrific.  Smiley

Here are two options you may want to try:

a) Increase the verap to 360 for 3 days, then to 480 to see if it gets rid of all the shadows.  

b) Wait until 3 weeks without a hit, then reduce the verap by 120mg every 3-5 days. Use plenty of O2 for the shadows and increase the verap again it you start getting hit.  

BB
IP Logged
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 8:06pm »

Thanks for your advice BB.  Wink  I will increase the verapamil and see if that makes a difference.    

I haven't been using the 02 for the shadows - but will try that too.  I'm getting a bit of stick from family (mum) about using 02 so have only been using it when desperate.

Will go and give it a try now.

Ta muchly,

Kate

IP Logged
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 8:44pm »

me again, sorry.

Been thinking... for the past few years I've had to change my meds each cycle cos although they work the first time round they're not so good the next time.  Last year the verapamil worked a treat... now its stopping the hits but.  

I'm a little concerned that if I up my dose it wont work next year????  I've tried so many meds - at least with the verap the side effects aren't so bad.  mmmm...

maybe i should just be happy that i'm not getting the hits?
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 9:37am »

Hi Kate,

When my last cycle was winding down, I had shadows for 2 weeks, then got hit with a Kip 8, then shadows for 3 more weeks, then ...... PF Time!

I drank lots of coffee for the shadows, and for the most part, that got rid of them.

I'm guessing your cycle is ending. I would not increase the meds if I were you, but that's me.

PF wishes.
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 1:52pm »

Kate.. I do almost the same thing that marlinsfan does...  

I just finished my cycle.. for the last three weeks I was still getting the Shadows pretty bad somedays and other days were ok...

So I started drinking more Code Red Mt.Dew during the day..  The caffine buzz made me a little more nervous, but it killed the shadows during the day...

If they came along at night or in the evening, I would just kill them with the O2... better than using the abortive and cheeper....  

If you quit any of the meds, consult your Dr first... then you should Taper off them over a few weeks.... never just quit using any meds... my NERO said, just be safe always taper off over a few weeks....

God Bless & PFDAN's
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 1:53pm »

Hi Kate,

I'd increase too.  The fact that your severe hits have stopped means the Verap is working.  You just might be able to kick back the shadows with a little more.

As for between cycles, I recommend weaning off totally.  I'm no doctor, but worried about the same thing last cycle.  Once I was sure it was over, my doc started slowly weaning me off.  Mind you, it took awhile - about 4 months to go from 480mg/day to 0.  I'm glad I did it though.

Good luck!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #7 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 9:30pm »

Thanks for your advice  Smiley

I have actually decided to taper off the meds rather than increase them - I'm not a big fan of taking meds so...

The shadows do seem to be increasing - but still no hits.  However I'm sure the cycle is coming to an end cos a week or so ago I had a really bad headache on the other side and that's normally a sign that there either coming or going.

I do drink a lot of coffee anyway and have increased the strength.  And I'm finding the 02 helps for the shadows - for a short while anyway.  

I really appreciate your advice.  Thank god for this site!  I don't really like going to the doctors - have been about 5 times already this cycle trying to get things sorted.  

Thanks so much.

PFDAN to you all,

Kate
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2005, 9:33pm by Kate in Oz » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss