Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 5:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Help: Prescription Legalities »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Help: Prescription Legalities
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help: Prescription Legalities  (Read 362 times)
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Help: Prescription Legalities
« on: Sep 5th, 2005, 5:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone have any information concerning the following:

What are my legal obligations as a consumer of prescription medicine in the United States?

For example, if I'm carrying imitrex in my pocket and I get stopped by a police officer, do I need be carrying a copy of my prescription to prove what the medicine is?

Something I like to do with pills is if I need to carry a supply for travelling I'll put a couple of different pills in a container and put it in my pocket.  I don't want to be carrying several pill containers (especially those damn imitrex pill cartons which can't possibly fit in a pocket).  Is it against the law to have 2 or 3 different prescription pills in an unmarked container?  Are there special rules for controlled substances?  Are the laws different depending on the state laws?

I'm looking for information in English, not Legalese.  I'm having trouble Googling because I'm getting so much useless information.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Help: Prescription Legalities
« Reply #1 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 7:02pm »

This is a very good question.  I have flown and am going to be flying with the duragesic patch which is a narcotic.  I take the box with my perscription label on it and have never had anyone check the box much less the label.  Now things are tighter so I would have a label on it if it is a narcotic.  Just to make sure so it isn't confiscated.  I also carry it on me to keep it from being stolen.  My other meds I put in a day of the week pill box and just carry that with me.  I guess I would ask your dr or/and pharmacist to be sure.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 7:39pm »

I had/have alot of the same concerns...  

When we were on Vacation a few weeks ago, we drove everywhere we went, but I did not leave any of my meds at home... Not knowing which ones I might need over the course of a few days....

One of my big concerns was going into the theme parks, where their are Police & Security... checking all the bags that you carry in, after going in and out of the parks severl times over a few days, I had no problems, no one even questioned the amount of different meds I was carrying..  

I am not sure what the total legal laws are, but if I were you I would call the local Police Dept. were you are going and ask what the laws are....  

I have heard of people not only getting their meds taken, when they did not have the Script or the bottle with them, I have herad of the being charged with Traffic and/or Distribution of a Controlled Substance.

Just use Caution.. and get advice from the Source (Dr, Pharmacy or Police)..

Sorry to Ramble on, just trying to give you some idea's..

Wishing you PF Time...
God Bless
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
CHTom

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 9:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I always carry the bottle from the pharmacy that has the prescription info. on it or the box that the meds. came in and have never had any trouble at airports or anywhere else; a letter from your doc detailing the drugs couldn't hurt.
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 1:18pm »

I travel a lot for work and go through airport security every month and I've never been asked to show a script. I carry imitrex pills in a little stainless steel tank that acts as my keychain. The tank pops up every time in the x-rays, and every time they open it up. I always tell them to be careful when they open it so they don't drop my "headache" pills".

I also carry the telephone for my pharmacy in my cell-phone. I guess if I were to prove that I'm entitled to carry the meds, I could call the pharmacy and have them talk to the guards?!?

I wouldn't worry about it. Trex are not narcotics, so the cops shouldn't worry about them.
IP Logged
Jimmy_B.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

USS Missouri BB-63 Veteran

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 2:24pm »

I can tell you from experience...I also like to carry my daily supply of medication in an unmarked "Day Pack".

When stopped for a Motor Vehicle infraction...my bag was searched and the meds found. Luckily it was still daylight & the officer got in touch with my pharmacist. I was told that if you are traveling...even just to the store...with your meds...you have 3 choices 1) they need to be in the original container or 2)you will need a copy of the original script or 3) a letter from your doctor.

The above applies to all meds RX & controlled.

PS I also tried to search the info but surprisingly found nothing that applies. Huh
IP Logged

"I'd much rather be HAPPY then RIGHT any day" Slartibartfast

Get informed! Don't vote a party ticket. Go to www.vote-smart.org and find out where your political candidates stand.

LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 2:24am »

Agreed with what someone wrote above...check the local laws where you are/will be!
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 8:31pm »

on Sep 8th, 2005, 2:24pm, Jimmy B. wrote:
I can tell you from experience...I also like to carry my daily supply of medication in an unmarked "Day Pack".

When stopped for a Motor Vehicle infraction...my bag was searched and the meds found. Luckily it was still daylight & the officer got in touch with my pharmacist. I was told that if you are traveling...even just to the store...with your meds...you have 3 choices 1) they need to be in the original container or 2)you will need a copy of the original script or 3) a letter from your doctor.

The above applies to all meds RX & controlled.

PS I also tried to search the info but surprisingly found nothing that applies. Huh

This makes the most sense to me.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss