Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Ever hear of Relpax.... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Ever hear of Relpax....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ever hear of Relpax....  (Read 558 times)
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

Ever hear of Relpax....
« on: Sep 11th, 2005, 4:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My friend who suffers from M>>> last night let Dave have a sample of a med that her Neuro gave her for her M headaches its called Relpax..... its eletriptan-H BR~  It aborted his CH he said it made him feel weird .... and was exhausted after said attack..... he also kept the shadow for a long time then I made him take a perc for the shadow..... he never really recovered but got through the night with out getting hit again..... I think this relpax has a half life.... (is that what you call it) what I mean is it lasts in your system.... disreguard if you have had threads about relpax.... I haven't heard of this other than from my friend..... love ree

PS  Im off to the Neuro for MY M>>>headaches... tomorrow Im going to ask and get samples..... hope he is generous.... new Neuro for me too......

I just found this.......

Drug Profiles:
Relpax® (eletriptan)

Introduction  

During a migraine headache attack, brain activity changes induce inflammation of cerebral blood vessels and nerves. Attacks may be triggered by alcohol, certain foods, too much or too little sleep, menstruation, emotional stress, or environmental factors. Sumatriptan was the first serotonin agonist to be approved for treating migraine, but a new faster, more effective antimigraine drug is close to being approved for marketing: Relpax (eletriptan). Manufactured by Pfizer Inc., Relpax is also a serotonin agonist but its affinity for these receptors is different from that of sumatriptan.  

How It Works

The triptan antimigraine drugs are derived from the serotonin molecule. They act on 5-hydroxytryptamine (HT) 1B/1D receptors on blood vessels, trigeminal neurons, and the trigeminal nucleus caudalis, causing constriction of extracerebral intracranial vessels, abolition of dural extravasation and neurogenic inflammation, and inhibition of trigeminal neuronal discharge. Relpax has more than a 6-fold higher affinity than sumatriptan at the 5-HT1D receptor and more than a 3-fold greater affinity at the 5-HT1B receptor. Relpax also binds potently to the 5-HT1F receptor.

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2005, 4:52pm by Ree » IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Ever hear of Relpax....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 4:53pm »

Ree Ask about Frovatriptan.
26 hours half life with that one! I tried it last night as a preventative and went 15 hours without getting hit.
That's not happend for a long time and I went 14 hours the night before.
When I took it while getting hit I took it with coke (tip from another user!) and then hit the o2, I think it was actually the O2 that killed it but its seriously worth considering as a preventative.  
I'm going to post at the end of the week about  a full week on it but I didn't want you to miss out!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 5:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes, we've heard of Relpax. Relpax is one of 7 Triptan drugs.

sumatriptan succinate [Imitrex] (oral, nasal, injectable)
rizatriptan benzoate (oral)
zolmitriptan [Zomig] (oral, nasal)
naratriptan HCl (oral)
almotriptan (oral)
frovatriptan [Frova] (oral)
eletriptan [Relpax](oral).
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 8:02pm »

Thanks, Ree.  The more experiences we get catalogued here the more valuable the database becomes.  Good luck with the neuro.

As for Relpax and me.  Tried it.  Made what some here describe as a Trex Hangover look good.

IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 8:10pm »

on Sep 11th, 2005, 4:53pm, LeLimey wrote:
Ree Ask about Frovatriptan.
26 hours half life with that one! I tried it last night as a preventative and went 15 hours without getting hit.
That's not happend for a long time and I went 14 hours the night before.
When I took it while getting hit I took it with coke (tip from another user!) and then hit the o2, I think it was actually the O2 that killed it but its seriously worth considering as a preventative.  
I'm going to post at the end of the week about  a full week on it but I didn't want you to miss out!
Heyyyy Helen.... how are you honey.... that Frova wasn't for me... It did nothing for my Migraine.... does it work for you.  I have one I haven't thought of using it for Dave and Im so afraid Im going to kill him with all these meds.... his General Doc was mortified when Dave went in and told him what he wanted him to refill.... the Neurontin, The Imatrex, the Zomig the Clonazepam......LOL the doc said YOU BETTER GO TO THE NEUROLOGIST.... YOU CANT TAKE ALL THAT.....LOL.. Dave said.... I won't take any of it if I don't have an attack and first I will try to abort it with 02 LOL... thanks for the note.... love ya Ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 8:12pm »

on Sep 11th, 2005, 8:02pm, Gator wrote:
Thanks, Ree.  The more experiences we get catalogued here the more valuable the database becomes.  Good luck with the neuro.

As for Relpax and me.  Tried it.  Made what some here describe as a Trex Hangover look good.

interesting.... thats what Dave said too... he never quite recovered.... thanks for the input.... love ree
IP Logged

bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 9:01pm »

Hi Ree,

When I first started getting clusters, I was given Relpax. And it would work most of the time. But after a few months it stopped. It does wonders for my migraines. ( I get both  Undecided ) Hope all is well.

Brandi
IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 10:19pm »

GL Ree, i hope you make some progress with the doc.
I have heard of Relpax.  Only for Migraines though.  I know a woman that took it and said it was not too terrific for relief.  I am interested in that and looking into the Frova that Helen mentioned.
Would cafergot be similar to the Relpax?  I think that my neuro said Cafergot has triptan, and it is supposed to be taken at night to give you like 6 to 10 hours of triptan in your system.  Is this correct?  You ever take it?

That sounds like a good thing to me.  I think to find a way to keep triptans in your system would be sweet.  
PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

"Life is a series of goodbyes and hellos" Billy J.

Worldshots2003   FarmerGJill
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 11:55pm »

Hey Ree,

The last time that I saw my neuro, he gave me relpax.. lots! It is a newer medication.. and from what I gather, though it says it is just for migraines (of course so does my trex), it has been used for CH by some docs.. well mine anyways.

He said that it would be a better medication that imitrex because it would last longer in my system and could actually prevent the CH from coming.. He also said that I shouldnt have the same problems with Relpax as I did with imitrex (the chest pain, weak muscles, etc) though it could make me tired.  

So, I tried it. It helped some with the shadows but no matter what I do, the hits still come. In my opinion, it is worth a shot. Alot of these medications like Relpax or Zomig are used primarily for migraines and arent studied on CH'ers.. which makes sense since there arent too many of us out there (still stinks though) so it is up to us to try the meds and determine what works for us...  

Hope that this helps..

Jill
IP Logged

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss