Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 5:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Treatments during pregnancy and nursing »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Treatments during pregnancy and nursing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Treatments during pregnancy and nursing  (Read 269 times)
cmassa
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Treatments during pregnancy and nursing
« on: Sep 9th, 2005, 9:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello All,

I've been a cluster sufferer since I was 15 and I'm now pregnant with my second child (at 37).  I was fortunate enough during my first successful pregnancy--I miscarry a lot--to not have a cluster attack.  I understand they are rare during pregnancy.  Wouldn't you know that I did get hit when my son was three months old, right when he started to sleep through the night!  Natch!  I used my 1/3 shot of Imitrex and then had to pump-and-dump at 3AM.

I am not having an attack now but I know another pregnant mom who is.  And I of course always live in fear of having an attack while pregnant again and I'm not willing to take chances with the pregnancy.  I know Imitrex is contraindicated during pregnancy.  Is oxygen therapy safe during pregnancy?  I've done that before and it worked like a charm, but not while pregnant.  Tylenol doesn't do a thing for me or for my friend.  

Are there any other options for pregnant and nursing women?

Thanks much!
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Treatments during pregnancy and nursing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 9:30pm »

Hello & congrats,
There are a few here who are preggers.
One is unfortunately still dealing with attacks Sad  

She uses oxygen. Both noggin doctor and tadpole doctor agreed safe.

When things are really bad there are other options (demerol, tylenol codiene, stadol) but that is for you and your doctors to decide.

Enjoy ice and get oxygen and also know that if attacks are wearing you down that is also not good for the lil thing growing in ya.
You need to be able to survive for 2 Wink
Pain is stress and that's not good for either.

Chin up, get a tank and I hope ya have an easy pregnancy.

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 12:48am »

First let me say what a great friend and supporter you are.  Your friend is lucky to have someone looking out for her.  

I'm not sure about the available meds for pregnant/nursing women.  It is my understanding they are few and far between.  I will tell you and your friend to do your research very carefully if a doctor does prescribe something.  Doctors are not all knowing and all wise.  We had a doctor prescribe Fioricet to one of our young moms-to-be saying it was safe to take.  Fioricet contains butalbital which is known to cause birth defects and respiratory problems in the infant.  There's a thread around here somewhere on the subject.  Do a search for Fioricet if you want to know the specifics.

Have your friend come and check us out.  Information, understanding and support are never a bad thing.  There's lots of all of that here.  

Wishing you and your friend lots of PFDAN!

IP Logged
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 9:11pm »

I too had a miscarriage. It was earlier this year. And I had attacks everyday. They didn't get better until after I miscarried. I think I read on here, but don't quote me, that verapamil was safe. That it was actually made for pregnant women with high blood pressure. Demerol is safe, as well as codiene. If used in moderation. Never ever use imitrex! O2 and ice is about the last of it. I hope and pray for your friend to be pain free, most of all PF while pregnant. Best wishes.

Brandi
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 8:02am »

on Sep 9th, 2005, 9:30pm, E-Double wrote:
Hello & congrats,
There are a few here who are preggers.
One is unfortunately still dealing with attacks Sad  

She uses oxygen. Both noggin doctor and tadpole doctor agreed safe.

When things are really bad there are other options (demerol, tylenol codiene, stadol) but that is for you and your doctors to decide.

Enjoy ice and get oxygen and also know that if attacks are wearing you down that is also not good for the lil thing growing in ya.
You need to be able to survive for 2 Wink
Pain is stress and that's not good for either.

Chin up, get a tank and I hope ya have an easy pregnancy.

E

I believe he's talking about me here. Grin Eric has said all the right things above so I won't repeat.  

Tadpole and I are 24 weeks along. Third cherub for me and I'm 35.

cmassa, sorry it took me a little bit to reply.
Triptans, like imitrex, zomig are a no..no....but some narcotics are okay under a docs supervision.  

And Brandi is right about the verapamil. It can be used..again under a doctor's supervision. I choose not ot use it. I do take a pile of supplements and recently increased my Magesium to 750 mg/day...once again, you guessed it, under my Docs care with the hopes of helping my attacks (I get clusters and migraines).

One very important thing...support!! Smiley Very important part of my treatment.  and you and your friend thankfully have each other and now this place to look to for support as well. You are not alone!!!!
Please continue to ask any questions and feel free to PM me if you want to chat more.  

Wishing you and you're baby to be well and PF!
-Rori
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2005, 8:07am by lionsound » IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 8:22am »

Anything you take into your body has the potential to affect the baby.  Few, if any, actual studies have been conducted on any of these in pregnant women.  Whether you can safely take them depends on what you read on what day.  Make sure your GP and your OB/GYN both know what meds you are taking and follow their advice, but do some research of your own.  Ask questions about anything that concerns you.

Verapamil

Here is a link to a 1996 document concerning Calcium Channel Blockers (like verapamil) and Pregnancy.

http://www.fetal-exposure.org/CCB.html

Verapamil warning from rxlist.com.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/verapsr_wcp.htm

From Health Square:

Quote:
The effects of verapamil during pregnancy have not been adequately studied. If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. The drug appears in breast milk and could affect a nursing infant. If this medication is essential to your health, your doctor may advise you to discontinue breastfeeding until your treatment is finished.

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/cal1061.htm

And one last one on verapamil from PubMed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed &list_uids=2024796&dopt=Abstract

Demerol

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/dem1122.htm

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/meper_wcp.htm

Here's a comforting thought from drugs.com:

http://www.drugs.com/PDR/Demerol_Tablets.html#W05

Quote:
Labor and Delivery:   Meperidine crosses the placental barrier and can produce depression of respiration and psychophysiologic functions in the newborn. Resuscitation may be required.

One from the FDA

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:MgjRn5vLemcJ:www.fda.gov/medwatch/S AFETY/2003/03May_PI/Demerol_PI.pdf+demerol+and+pregnancy&hl=en

Quote:
Usage in Pregnancy: Meperidine should not be used in pregnant women prior to the labor period, unless in the judgment of the physician the potential benefits outweigh the possible risks, because safe use in pregnancy prior to labor has not been established relative to possible adverse effects on fetal development.  

Labor and Delivery: Meperidine crosses the placental barrier and can produce depression of respiration and psychophysiologic functions in the newborn. Resuscitation may be required (See OVERDOSAGE).  

Nursing Mothers: Meperidine appears in the milk of nursing mothers receiving the drug. Due to the potential for serious adverse reactions in nursing infants, a decision should be made whether to discontinue nursing or to discontinue the drug, taking into account the potential benefits of the drug to the nursing woman.

Codeine

PubMed article on Fioricet w/codeine, showing the previously mentioned link between butalbital and birth defects and the effects of codeine:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/203373.html

Quote:
Pregnancy—  

For butalbital: Barbiturates such as butalbital have been shown to increase the chance of birth defects in humans. Also, one study in humans has suggested that barbiturates taken during pregnancy may increase the chance of brain tumors in the baby. Butalbital may cause breathing problems in the newborn baby if taken just before or during delivery.  

For codeine: Although studies on birth defects with codeine have not been done in pregnant women, it has not been reported to cause birth defects. However, it may cause breathing problems in the newborn baby if taken just before or during delivery. Codeine did not cause birth defects in animal studies, but it caused slower development of bones and other harmful effects in the fetus.  

Breast-feeding—  

For butalbital: Barbiturates such as butalbital pass into the breast milk and may cause drowsiness, unusually slow heartbeat, shortness of breath, or troubled breathing in nursing babies.  

For codeine: Codeine passes into the breast milk in small amounts. However, it has not been reported to cause problems in nursing babies.

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/tyl1466.shtml

This page explains the risk factors of meds on pregnancy and shows where demerol and codeine fit in.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/abusingprescriptiondrug s.html

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/codphos_wcp.htm
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 9:04am »

on Sep 12th, 2005, 8:22am, Gator wrote:
Anything you take into your body has the potential to affect the baby.  Few, if any, actual studies have been conducted on any of these in pregnant women.  Whether you can safely take them depends on what you read on what day.  Make sure your GP and your OB/GYN both know what meds you are taking and follow their advice, but do some research of your own.  Ask questions about anything that concerns you.

Very well said Gator, Thank you.

I love the way people here look out for each other. Smiley

I have spent countless hours agonizing over what to do for me and my noggin and my baby. I see one of the top HA docs in the country and still ask loads of questions when he says something is okay. And he always says to check with my OB.. and I do. There are no short cuts.

I HATE taking anything while pregnant. And when I do I'm upset beyond words...benefit vs. who knows what risk. Sometimes the O2 and the ice fail me. I want to tough it out. But it is not just about me . Sometimes,as I've learned,  the risk to me and tadpole is medically greater if i don't take them. Sometimes my appetite drops off and I can't stay hydrated and I haven't slept well for days and I can't function and honestly I get really scared that my noggin will never stop ...ever. Not what I want for baby or me...sometimes my body needs a rest.

You must do what you feel is right for you..every pregnancy. every body is different.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2005, 9:11am by lionsound » IP Logged
cmassa
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 10:38pm »

Thanks all for your support and all of the info!  I fortunately have been pain-free and think I will stick to the oxygen, but I will ask about Verapamil if it happens while I am nursing again.  I will also pass the information on to my friend.

Ironically, I suspected the triptans were bad and that's why I pumped and dumped, though my son's pediatrician said I didn't need to. I just couldn't imagine something that powerful getting into a three-month-old's body.

Hope I can provide support like this in return someday!
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2005, 10:39pm by cmassa » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss