Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 12:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Running works for me »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Running works for me
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Running works for me  (Read 292 times)
stevema
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Running works for me
« on: Sep 25th, 2005, 9:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

But at first I feel like upchucking...and must force myself to keep running.  After about a half mile, I can feel the burp, the fart, the slight relief, the panic fades.  But the devil is still there, just lurking...so you have to still keep going...another few hundred feet, maybe another 1/4 or 1/2 mile, and by this time breathing super hard, lungs on fire, heart fit to burst (yeah, maybe this method is not for everyone) and voila, that monster is backing off big time.  I stress that one must keep going even when it seems the exercise is not working after all, this is the point when you are almost there !
Sprint! Get the lungs working hard, maybe choke up some sputum (unusually white or clear glue like), heave, and then....that sucker is going going gone.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: Running works for me
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 9:26am »

Its great that you know what works for you, others have posted that running works for them.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 3:02pm »

on Sep 25th, 2005, 9:11am, stevema wrote:
But at first I feel like upchucking...and must force myself to keep running.  After about a half mile, I can feel the burp, the fart, the slight relief, the panic fades.  But the devil is still there, just lurking...so you have to still keep going...another few hundred feet, maybe another 1/4 or 1/2 mile, and by this time breathing super hard, lungs on fire, heart fit to burst (yeah, maybe this method is not for everyone) and voila, that monster is backing off big time.  I stress that one must keep going even when it seems the exercise is not working after all, this is the point when you are almost there !
Sprint! Get the lungs working hard, maybe choke up some sputum (unusually white or clear glue like), heave, and then....that sucker is going going gone.

all that upchucking and spitting of "sputum" sounds like you may actually need an exorcism..... Lips Sealed

glad running works for you -- for me it is my most prominent trigger. within 10 minutes of a heavy run, while in cycle, boom, there it is. (maybe I should try cycling while I've got the runs....huh? oh that's another problem.)

scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
rextangle

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 3:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Sep 26th, 2005, 3:02pm, seasonalboomer wrote:

(maybe I should try cycling while I've got the runs....huh? oh that's another problem.)

scott

LMAO Grin

Stevema, glad you found something that works for you.
We all experience the same pain, yet we all have different things that work to make them stop, that's the nature of the f*****g beast!

Keep up the good work,
Rex Wink
IP Logged
Mike_E
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 6:12pm »

on Sep 26th, 2005, 3:02pm, seasonalboomer wrote:

all that upchucking and spitting of "sputum" sounds like you may actually need an exorcism..... Lips Sealed

glad running works for you -- for me it is my most prominent trigger. within 10 minutes of a heavy run, while in cycle, boom, there it is. (maybe I should try cycling while I've got the runs....huh? oh that's another problem.)

scott

Just proves this disease has neither rhyme nor reason.  In the 8 years I've had clusters, the one time I can be certain I won't get one is while running or swimming laps.  Not only that, but I seem to have immunity to them for at least a couple of hours following.

I've always speculated this may have something to do with pumping oxygen into my bloodstream.

What I'd like to hear from Scott is whether his clusters respond to oxygen (mine do within 5-10 minutes.)

Mike
IP Logged
stevema
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 7:08pm »

Oxygen worked for me the one time I had it.
A friend points out that when one runs hard,  the body requests the heart for blood (and hurry please) and perhaps this causes similar constriction action like imitrex...
all just thoughts and conjectures, anyway, if my lungs are heaving, the beast stays at bay.  I really hope this works for all, exercise has always been effective for me, wonder why it causes attack in some?  Sounds related, the two opposite effects from the same cause.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 8:45am »

Steve,
Exercise works for me too.  I do squats at the start of an attack until my legs are burning and I'm huffing and puffing.  Then I sit down with an ice pack and deep breath and the attack is gone in less than 10 minutes.

Years ago I would almost always get nauseated during an attack (pain and cafergot).  The exertion of barfing would end the attack every time.

Now I'm old and lazy so I just suck the O2.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 8:51am »

Quote:
Now I'm old and lazy so I just suck the O2

Yep, that's the down side to O2 working so well for me - getting fat  Grin
IP Logged
stevema
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 9:19am »

I have run off about 20 attacks in the past 4 days.  About 4 in sleep (2 in one night about 3 hours apart), the rest during the day.  The earlier in the attack I start, the shorter I have to run to abort it totally.   This afternoon I could feel one coming, just the start where my neck gets muddy thick, and I took off running down the road.  People looking at me funny, but the joke has a beautiful punch line cause 10 minutes of vigorous jogging and sprinting and I was feeling no pain.  The ones that come in sleep are already banging by the time I hit the street and so I have to go a bit further.  Again, I want to stress that you just have to keep going even when it seems it is not working.  Just keep going until you can't go anymore and remember to occasionally run as hard as you can, sprinting interspersed with jogging (hopefully you are fit enough to get some speed up).  In my case I have had 100% success with stopping pain.  Yes, I am spent, my muscles are sore as hell, but as long as I never have to sit through the hell again, I will run to Timbuktu.  Which is a lot closer from here than from where most of you guys are.  I just gotta say thanks, I think it have been Bob P who gave me this idea way back when you wrote about doing exercise.  I used it intermittently but never persisted because I thought it only worked some of the time.  This is why I stress KEEP GOING until it does work, don't stop running until you just can't go anymore.  If I am heaving and sweating, relief is on the way.  I only hope this is something that continues to work, and you can get relief too.  Good luck !
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #9 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 11:00am »

on Sep 26th, 2005, 6:12pm, Mike_E wrote:

What I'd like to hear from Scott is whether his clusters respond to oxygen (mine do within 5-10 minutes.)
Mike

Yes they do -- in a similar time frame (most of the time).

I've actually run in three different marathons with CH's. All hit me at betwen miles 6-9. Ended up outrunning 2 of them but one stuck with me all the way to the finish for 20 miles after onset. Determined I didn't  like the Chicago Marathon anymore after that. ......

scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss