Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 8:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Kudzu/Ergotamine side effects »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Kudzu/Ergotamine side effects
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kudzu/Ergotamine side effects  (Read 929 times)
phydeaux
New Board Newbie
USA 

And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice.

268836339 268836339   nttechie   chaos+afu
Email

Kudzu/Ergotamine side effects
« on: Sep 12th, 2005, 5:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been taking kudzu root and ergotamine (in conjunction with lithium) for about 5 days now, and I've been throwing up a lot more than normal. In fact, I used to hardly barf at all. Now I've popped three times in the last 5 days. I make sure that I take the meds on a full stomach (or at least after eating something substantial) and am wondering if this is a "normal" side effect, or is something else going on? This is my first try at Kudzu and ergotamine, so I have no baseline to refer to.

Oh, and as of yet, no effect on the HA either. How long do these normally take to have an effect?
IP Logged

Necrophelia means never having to say... well, anything!
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: Kudzu/Ergotamine side effects
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 7:32pm »

I could be wrong about this, but .... my understanding of Kudzu was that it shouldn't be mixed with any other meds or alternative treatments.

However, I'm behind on my reading, so you might check with Nani.

I hate barfing .... Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
phydeaux
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 7:41pm »

Oh man, I hate it as well. One thing, ok, no, TWO things. One, whats a Nani? And two, if SJ is San Jose, Ca, thats no small town I hate to tell ya...heh heh heh...
IP Logged

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 7:59pm »

SJ actually stands for St. Joseph, Michigan, which is indeed a very small town on the shores of Lake Michigan.

Nani is a veteran board member who was one of the first to try the Kudzu thing.  She may very well come along and join this thread or if you look under the original thread on Kudzu and find one of her posts, just click on her name.  You'll get the option to send a PM (private message) to her.  

Private messaging is one of the great things about this board, though sometimes it takes awhile to find it.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 8:08pm »

Hi phy... I'm the nani. LOL
I believe you may be the first to use kudzu and ergotamine. I checked a drug interaction site and found this:
Quote:
No interactions were found for the drugs you selected.
You searched for interactions between the following drugs and herbs:  

Ergotamine Sublingual Tablets
Kudzu
Lithium  

I also googled ergotamine and found this:
Quote:
What are the possible side effects of ergotamine?  
 •  Stop taking ergotamine and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately if you experience.  
 · an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);  
 · chest pain;  
 · numbness or tingling in the fingers or toes;  
 · muscle pain in the arms or legs;  
 · leg weakness;  
 · changes in heart rate;  
 · swelling; or  
 · itching.  
 •  Other, less serious side effects may also occur. Continue to take ergotamine and talk to your doctor if you experience nausea or vomiting. •  Ergotamine may be habit forming when used for long periods of time. Larger doses may be needed for headache relief, and withdrawal effects may occur when treatment with ergotamine is stopped.  
 •  Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.  

I will say that no one that I recall mentioned nausea or vomiting from kudzu. Dizzyness and gastro intestinal um, issues, were the most common side effects.  
Talk to your dr or pharmacist, just to be sure. Here is a link to a page you can print and show him.

http://med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Kudzu

You haven't said how much kudzu you are taking and how often you're taking them. It can take some time to find the right dosage and schedule. Also, I'm afraid it doesn't work for everyone. Give me more info and I'll see what I can offer.

Pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
floridian

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 9:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Mixing kudzu with  triptans or ergot alkaloids is not a good idea.  Several people have reported increased gas and more frequent bowel movements.  Combine it with ergotamine, and it could definitely intensify the gastro side effects of ergotamine.  If kudzu works for you, you wouldn't need ergotamine anyway.  

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Kudzu

Talk to a doctor (who is going to tell you to quit one or the other).
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2005, 9:01pm by floridian » IP Logged
phydeaux
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 9:30pm »

Spasebo to all!

OK, Since I was taking the kudzu on my own (having ehard about it here, LOL!!) I'll drop it. My doc has me on the lithium/ergotomine combo, so I'll let that play out.  

Big thanks to all for your responses! Hope you all have better luck than I am!
IP Logged

JohnWF
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 7:54pm »

Hello:

I just thought I would add my experience, although you've already been given quite a bit of advice.

I have been taking Kudzu and Ergotomine Tartate since June.  A very few times, besides taking the Egotomine Tartate right before bed, I would also take a Cafergot at mid-day (Cafergot is Ergotomine w/caffeine).  During this time, I have experience very few side effects at all, but as Floridian points out, have had at times excessive gas.

Is it possible the litium is making you throw up?  Everyone is right about checking with the Dr.  However, doctors don't have data on Kudzu, so are hesitant to give opinions that mean anything.

This is my experience; I hope it helps a little.
IP Logged
phydeaux
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 12:24am »

Well, I actually stopped both, and all the stomach excitement seems to have gomne away. I'm going to try the ergotamine again tonight, and see what it does on it's own. I spoke to a pharmacist today, and he thought the stomach stuff was coincidence, as in his opinion it was not a noted side effect of ergotamine or kudzu.

I'll just have to experiment and see what happens...
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 8:46am »

Having used cafergot for during my cluster cycles for the past 35 years I can tell you nausea is a side effect of cafergot:
Gastrointestinal: Nausea and vomiting; (from RX List)
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss